Arms Locker banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally, a project I can afford (more or less).

1) Is there a noticeable difference between forged and cast 80% receivers? I know forged ones a stronger, but does it really matter?

2) What's the difference between A1, A2, A3, A4, etc, uppers? They all seem to cost the same.

3) Where can I get a bolt and barrel for the 6.8 SPC?

4) What's the real world cost difference between completed (but empty), lowers and 80% lowers?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
AR project

How much are you willing to spend on the whole project? Going with the Barrett upper may be a viable option. The 6.8 upper from barrett is extremely good, I am personally considering a whole Barrett setup in the near future. Also, are you going all out on the project, such as Full Auto selectors, suppressors, etc?

As far as forged and 80%, I always go for quality and save up, but thats just me. I would spend the extra and get a forged one if you didnt get the barret upper.

A4 is the newest latest greatist, removable handle and picatinny rail. If you can get em at the same price as an A1 more power to you.

If you can give some details about pproject constraints mabye I can point you in some usefull directions.

Good Luck. 6.8 is a wonderfull cartrige and ARs are fun platforms.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to spend more than $300-350 on the barrel, lower, and upper, all together. Everything else is relatively inexpensive and I can pick 'em up piece meal as time goes on.

removable handle and picatinny rail
Not a big fan of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Its gonna be fun trying to find a 6.8 SPC upper/barrel for 350$ by itself. As far as lowers go (the berrett kit is 1500$ MSRP for upper, barrel, and rails), if you are not planning to go full auto or burst, the bushmaster lowers work ok. I do warn you, some of my friends have had issues with bushmaster lowers and selector switches, theve told me everything from jamming every other round to uncontrollable auto (one pull it dosent stop tioll the clip is empty or jam) and even a tripple feed. I saw the gun that tripple fed, needless to say it wasnt pretty. Olympic Arms lowers are more costly, but the quality is unparralleled. If I am not mistaken (which I may very well be) you need an AR10 upper and an AR15 lower for 6.8, which leaves out many armalite uppers as they have contours that do not support the AR15 lowers (some of them dont, such as the upper that supports .300 WM, and SA .404 Geoffery based offerings (RUMs).) Also, these days uppers seem to come in every thing from A1-A4, so if modular systems arent for you, im almost positive the upper your looking for has an A1 variant somewhere. Sorry I cant be more help, Ill do some extensive research when I get a chance and post my findings. Good luck. 6.8 All the way! :madeuce:

(mabye you can even school andy on how 6.8 kicks 5.56's @$$ with your new setup)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
you'll play hell finding an upper, lower, and barrel for $350, that's worth a hoot. You can come close, if you settle for Model One Sales anda Stag lower. The Stag is the same thing as a RRA, and Model One usually sells ok stuff. Look on GunsAmerica.com for a lower, do a yahoo search for Model One

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Darkwolf, are you referancing completed receivers? A few websites I've been to sell cast 80% receivers for $65, and their forged counterparts for $115. And sell, either stripped or 80%, uppers (A1-A4) for $135.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Andy thanks for s second preseant to send to mike fisher this fine christmas day.

I have spent a lot of time on ranges and taken a ton of different classes and the guns that are always breaking down ar ethe home built jobs. Save yoru money and start with a complete Bushmaster Lower. Then save up and get a complete upper from them. YOu will be glad you did. Or I can make you a great deal on a built gun that I have LOL

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have spent a lot of time on ranges and taken a ton of different classes and the guns that are always breaking down ar ethe home built jobs.
I don't put things together wrong.

Save yoru money and start with a complete Bushmaster Lower. Then save up and get a complete upper from them.
I could buy brand spanking new Marlin leverguns for the price of those things. If I'm saving up, I'm getting a Marlin. I'm not in a saving mood.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Just my opinion 84 C4, but pay the $$ for the forged receiver.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
"I don't put things together wrong."

You know many times I have heard that? especially from folks home guilt franken guns tha thave just went tits up?

YOu kow how to head space an AR? How about how to correctly fit the barrel? Got the correct vise and barrel wrench? or are you just planning on using a pipe wrench? YOu know how to correctly assemble the lower? How about how to correctly assemble the bolt? OR how to fit all the other little parts into place.

By the time you get all the parts needed and waste all the hours you could have bought a new gun and been on to other things.

But hey it is yoru likf eand your time and money so just knock yourself out and don't listen to experience.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Mabu has seen ones like this before too.

Most common problem is attaching barrel to reciever many do not know how to fit right. One can often wriggle barrel from side to side by the front sight.

Other problem is some people use parts that look like they came out of scrap-bin at Hesse Arms.

·
Registered
296 Posts
few ideas
if you wish will try to help any way possible.
suggest you get a stripped lower if you are set on a complete self build.
unless you happen to be a machinist or tool and die maker or gunsmith....well you get the point. a few ten thousanths off with hole placement and you get to start all over again. it might look like it works great and may function fine till it doesn't.

you can buy a complete parts kit minus the lower reciever for a few hundred.
make sure of what you want before you buy it....i have had this problem many times....thought i wanted it then got it and said hmmmmmm.

figure if you had the knowledge you wouldn't be asking. and i in no way wish to talk down to you just to tell it straight.

what gunsmithing expiriance do you have? what projects have you done? what were the results? would they make you proud to show them to other people? your welcome to post the answers or to answer them to your self.

make sure you have the right tools for the job (this WILL increase the price for a single toy but pays for itself over time and repeated use.) you can learn a whole lot from reading books watching video's ect.. but the best way to learn is hands on. do you have someone you can work with that has the knowledge? perhaps a local gunsmith would be willing to help you out in trade for what ever you can offer (cleaning firearms, cleaning shop, answering phones, setting up website, well you get the picture)

please take a look at a few KABOOMED AR-15 receivers. get an idea of what will really happen if you make a miscalculation.

the old phrase measure twice cut once is a biggie here. when i first started out doing my own work i bought many used, broken, nonfuntional, ect.. firearms. then figured out what made them tick. how to refinish, how to time revolvers, barrel crown cutting ect. most of these guns cost me $25 each or so. they were cheap guns and never would amount to much. but the expiriance was priceless. i have gotten good enough to do side work for one of the gun shops in town. and repair friends firearms for free(read that as no labor charge parts only) but i am by no means an all out gunsmith.

ok i took up more than my share of bandwidth today :)
sean

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just gonna put it together and let a gunsmith fine tune it. I wasn't gonna mess with putting the barrel on. I'm just looking for an under $500 AR15, with out getting some cheap chinkese knockoff. That and I like fiddling with things, small parts don't bother me, if I can put together a watch I can put this together. I was thinking about getting one on layaway, but I'd be getting a new Marlin if I did that.

Listen, I just want something to f*** with in my spare time that won't be aggregiously expensive to work on. Usually I'd be f***ing with my vette, but I can't do it in Co because it's in Houston, and I can't do it in Houston because I don't have the garage space available. On my projects, I learn as a I go. The barrel will be installed by a gunsmith, and I'll also have him look it over before firing. I may be young and stubborn, but I'm not stupid. And I stand firmly by my stubbernness.

If I blow myself up, I'll post it and you can chastise me then.

·
Registered
296 Posts
lol
ok well stated. :)
please allow me to post some links that may be of service.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ :cool: absolutly awesome must download catalog to appreciate good prices on new and used firearms as well.
http://www.brownells.com :cool: another fav has useful schematics for free download...for AR15 use either or both DPMS or COLT also check out thier tech pages lots of how to info
http://www.midwayusa.com/ :cool: one of my fav
http://www.tapco.com/ :cool: can be useful
http://www.gunsnstuff.net/ :cool: i think page 3 in the ar15 area.....$399 everything but lower receiver. have ordered from them before still do but....read the discription cafefully

good luck if i can be of further assistance please let me know
sean

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW, just wow. I (plan on) ordering the lower, and possibly the parts kit, on thursday.

Greatly apreciated,
Ted

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure, I can get you a pic of the final result. I, however, make no guarantees that it will be pretty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts