Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had it to do over again and had the choice of the fixed handle or the flat top upper with removable carry handle, which would you choose? Please give me your thoughts including the strengths and weaknesses you see in each. I'm thinking of getting Jack an AR for Christmas and don't know which to choose. Only have experience with the fixed carry handle model.

Thank you!

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
the removable, but I"d LocTite it in place, for shtf. I'd also leave behind the optical sight, mount a scope on the carrying handle in a see thru mount. For personal "missions" in normal times, matches, etc, the optic's a hair faster than the iron sights, but I'd never trust the battery dependence, fragility for shtf, nor give up the scope, luminous irons, etc.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
A3 with removable handle, either the trijicon or an ACOG for a sight. Though the newer aimpoint MLs look pretty good and have an amazing battery life. (the 'L' models are NVG compatable, which may or may not be a factor.)

All three are rugged, and will probably survive more than a leupold would (they are being used extensively in Iraq and Afghanistan), but the leupolds are pretty indestructible.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I like both.... I think it's a matter of what you think he'll do with the gun. If he's going to put any kind of optics on it, get the flat top with the removable carry handle. If he isn't, the A2 is fine.

I've got both and both work well. I recommend AGAINST locktighting the A3 carry handle to the flat top though. It's not a good idea.

Mike

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I've only used the fixed carry handle version. I like it fine, even with an ARMS mount and scope, although it does make the scope sit a little high; I'm just used to it, I guess. Never used a flat-top, and I wanted my 2nd ("spare") CAR to mirror my existing one as close as possible, so went with the fixed handle version.

If I were to buy a 3rd AR, I might well do a flat top varmint gun, but so far, I'm completely ignorant of them.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Wrap around Velcro cheekpc can have two "divots", one for your cheekbone, to line up on the irons, one for your chin, to line up on the scope.

·
Registered
9,591 Posts
I have used both on many occasions. For short range use (under 100 yds) I prefer a fixed handle with no scope, unless you are using a red dot scope. My only scope experience (extensive) is with the Elcan scope, which I find to be less than satisfactory for extended field use.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
The flat top has much more flexibility as far as sights go, but I've alway's been partial to the "carrying handle" in M-16/AR-15 rifles. The head held high position with optics takes a little getting used to, but not really too tough. Don't Lok-Tite anything on a flat top, your looking for trouble. By the way, do you know if you and my wife are related? She's not a shooter, but she has presented me with a Colt .45 SAA 2nd generation, a Browning BAR 30/06, an AR-15 SP1 Carbine, a Glock 21 and a Browning 12 Gauge lightweight A-5. I'm keeping her. A lady that buy's something like this for her significant other has more than a little care about him.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm certain, Terry, that we are sisters in spirit.

BTW, did you ever check out the answers to your thread about why dogs like stinky things?

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Girlfirends that give AR's for Christmas... oh my.... Rika, can I clone you? Pretty please?

What I'd get is a flattop, no hesitation, no doubt.

On all flattops you generally always need a 1/2" riser for an optic. Probably the coolest thing you can get your boyfriend is a flattop with an ARMS #38 or #38-EX unit on it. The military has bought a lot of ARMS stuff lately, including the #38.

The #38 is a standard, full length rail with an integral, adjustable, flip up rear iron peep sight. The #38-EX is one that is moderately extended. With M4 handguards you'll have to file a tad off the top of the rear 1/2" or so for the EX. The EX allows things like red dot optics to get mounted a bit more forward.

They make a 3rd, longer #38 mount (The ARMS #38-SX I think it's called) but stick with the shorter two.

Right now, due to some swaps, sells, and trades, I have a no-ban flattop that has a fixed DPMS A2 removeable rear sight with a Bushmaster (Yankee Hill) 5" extended Picatinney mounted forward of the rear iron sight with a 30mm red dot on it. Thinking about getting another ARMS #38-EX for this one but I'll try this configuration out for a while and see how I like it.

You see, with a flattop, you can try out different configurations and swap the components around.

All in all, get a flattop and an ARMS #38-EX.

Here's a pic I have on the server of a CAR-15 with a flattop fitted with an ARMS #38-EX with a 30mm Red Dot scope. The rear flip up sight is locked into the 'down' position.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well, you know if my wife were planning on getting me something like this and I told her I wasn't sure which one I really wanted, her answer would be "why not get both?" When we go to gun shows, she will tell me, we better not have driven all the way over here for you to go home empty handed.

Yeah guys, there are some good ones out there. I certainly lucked out with mine.

I remember right after we were married and I suddenly got the idea that I wanted something more powerful then that .22 I had. I had never before talked with her about guns so I had no idea what she even thought about them. Anyway, I was a little bit apprehensive when I said to her "You know, I'm thinking about buying a gun and want something with a little bit more oomph to it. What do you think?" She simply said, "Sure, just as long as it is a .44 magnum!". So we went out the next day and bought a model 29 S&W.

Back to the topic of the thread.....

I think I would prefer the carry handle model simply because if you have a scope or mount failure, you just take it off of the rifle and keep on rolling. With a flat top, what do you do then? And is there really anything you can mount on a flat top that you can't mount on a scope mount put on the carry handle? Just seems to me that the carry handle model is a bit more flexible.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Flat top scope mounts are just better across the board. They are a real scope mount, not a kludge like the carry handle mounts are.

If you're worried about the scope breaking, put on a flip up iron sight to use just in case.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
What do you all think about a mount like thw Wilson Combat? Goes on a flattop, mounts the scope high (hurts the scope use, but we're not taking about sniping here anyway, and it wouldn't be any higher than mounting it on the carry handle), and has an iron peep underneath, so you can use the scope or the irons at will without removing anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts