Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an "in" as to what it is?
All I know is what it's not
Not 6.8SPC it's supposed to be higher velocity/energy?
I've not kept up with it much but in maybe 5-10 years so much for the "GI Round"being 5.56.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Don’t know what they’re thinking or planning. Personally if I was stuck with a ‘military issue’ carbine round, I’d want plain old M193. In an ideal world it would be launched from a 14-16 inch barrel with a progressive-gain twist ending at a 1:12 rate, which should make it just about mimic normal 20” velocities; but that’ll almost certainly never happen.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's really got me is this sounds like shades of the post WWII NATO trials for a standard assault rifle and cartridge.

Along with the quest for a new weapon the US Army did around 15 years ago in the ACR Program. Which they dropped.
What gets me is I'm hearing conflicting reports on progress.
Nothing really bad just that:
1). They are doing T&E selection on both a Weapon and a Cartridge (6.8caliber bore).
2.) The specific cartridge has been chosen so it's now down to T&E of a Specific Weapon System !?
So I'm wondering what is going on here?
I'm thinking over the past track record and how the new mis-adminstration is about the military that there's a chance it'll be cancelled unless they are way far in adopting it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Aren’t they looking at telescoping ammo? I thought that was the push around the 6.8....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That ain't it I'm referring to a 6.8mm diameter not 6mn and the AR-15 may or may not be the chosen platform.

That may have sounded a bit abrupt.
I'm just trying to find more solid info in the 6.8cartridge the Army gas settled on or will settle on.
There is no request for proposal on a 6mm it's a 6.8 diameter cartridge.
Nothing wrong with Hornady I like their ammo, components and reloading equipment.
Just don't add up to what I'm referring to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts