Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed your post on "What's your favorite gun?" When did you post it and what title did you post it under? I recently turned into a Mauser collector. Three Yugoslavians and one Turkish. Kick like hell, but cheap shooting entertainment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
nice, looks like there is some history in those.

cheers

·
Registered
163 Posts
Terry G said:
I missed your post on "What's your favorite gun?" When did you post it and what title did you post it under? I recently turned into a Mauser collector. Three Yugoslavians and one Turkish. Kick like hell, but cheap shooting entertainment.
Terry, I haven't figgerd out how to link from archives so I bumped the thread.
The Mausers I work with are of "action grade", those with no collector value, usualy with cracked stocks and missing parts and mismatched bolts, sutable for building sporting rifles out of.
As a side note, you should watch out for some of the Turk's, in particular the 03/38's, have seen receiver lug set-back of as much as .023 inch in ALL of them that I have purchased.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a Turkish Mauser for a wallet wrenching price of $39.95 and 70 rounds of ammunition for $4.25. I got hooked. I bought 4 Yugoslavian Mausers and a ton of ammunition for them. It's a sickness. One thing I learned about these old troopers is "boil them out". It's a term I learned from my favorite author, George Macdonald Fraser in his great biography, "Quartered Safe Out Here." I did some reasearch and found out a common method of cleaning corrosive primed ammuntition out of firearms was to pour boiling water with a bit of detergent down the barrel (from the breech end) and then dry patch and clean as normal. It works. My Turkish was barely giving me 6" groups at 100 yards. I boiled it out and caked up cosmoline came out. Groups went 4". These guns are great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts