Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now these people REALLY pulled a fast one on me.

Back in May of 2002, I was attending a reptile show in Raleigh, North Carolina at the fairgrounds there. There was also a gun show next door in the next building, so of course I spent most of my time over there and not behind my tables at the reptile show.

At Assault Technologies' tables I spotted a real nice Colt Python in stainless with a 4 inch barrel. I looked it over carefully and only noted a slight cylinder drag ring, which is typical in a used gun. But otherwise there was nothing else wrong with it. I checked out the trigger pull, and everything seemed fine with the gun. So, I arranged to buy the gun, but of course I couldn't take it with me since I am not a resident of North Carolina.

When I got home, I contacted my FFL friend and asked him to send the FFL copy to Assault Technologies so they could ship it on down to him.

Well when I finally got the gun, I was shocked. The serial number matched with the one I had bought at the show, but it had obviously changed from the time I saw it then to when it was shipped to me.

The gun I got had a noticeable gouge ring on the cylinder that matched up with the sideplate screw on the left hand side. It looked like the screw had at some point been loose, and somebody had spun the cylinder against it without realizing why the cylinder seemed tough to rotate. On top of that, this stainless gun now sported a BLUED extractor in that cylinder!

Now I would have certainly noticed these things when I looked the gun over at the gun show. Emails to Assault Technologies were ignored and I never was able to get anyone to pick up the phone when I called the number on the business card they gave me. Man, I was really irritated. It's not like I got this gun at a bargain price or anything.

So I figured I would settle this up in the following May when I would be back up in the Raleigh area.

But like a dummy, I decided to shoot the gun, and found that it is an excellent shooter. Damn. So I did what any normal gun nut would do. I bought another one from someone else. That perfect one can stay in the vault, and I can shoot the older one.

So I let this issue drop and did not say a word to them when I walked by their tables at the May 2003 show. But I didn't look at what they had on their tables much.

It's just that I now know better than to do anything like that again with Assault Technologies (http://www.assaulttech.com).

·
Registered
126 Posts
RICH- Questions on the Python

I have an older Python with a 6" barrel .357Mag. What is cylinder ring drag. It is my house & CCW carry gun- I have shot it thousands of times with .38Special wadcutters and Police rounds- and often do a "Reverse Russian Roulette" drill- load one full house .357 load, the other 5 with std. .38Specials and spin the cylinder without looking, close it, and fire 2 handed Weaver style- my neighbor (and ice fishing partner, ditto duck hunting) is a retired State Trooper (Detective) and in past years they were restricted to only carrying a .38Special revolver (now they carry Glock I believe) and he retired with a lot of target and issue ammo, which he shares with me-nice guy.
Also, my Python is a 1970's series with what he calls the "Custom Blueing" has wooden checkered grips- never missed a beat, still is "in time" and I prefer it to something newer (and possibly with more stopping power)-correct me if I am wrong here, but a revolver like mine, with the hammer down- has no springs under tension, as does an autoloader, plus the tension on the spring in each magazine-Thanks

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cylinder ring line if the line you see made by the cylinder stop running around the cylinder at the rear, centered in the detents on the cylincer itself. If you spin the cylinder so that the cylinder stop drags across the detents without catching, you are making a REALLY good cylinder ring. If you do this at a gun show, the seller will likely be reaching under the table for a baseball bat to "thank you" for treating his gun that way... :rofl:

No, with the hammer down, you really aren't putting any springs under strain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.