Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we've all had the threads on what handgun you'd like to carry as a backup.

So, how many here actually carry a backup gun? I mean in civilian use, if you're LEO, do you still carry a backup off duty?

Usually, I can be found with twe guns. Sometimes two SP-101s, most often the SP-101 and a 4" GP-100. Sometimes it'll be with the SP-101 and either the P-90 or a 1911, or the 629.

The paranoids are out to get me.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It depends on the weather as to how I'm dressed. Wearing jeans or shorts, the little KelTec rides with me. When I can wear a coat or other outer garment, my Colt Officers Model rides on my hip and the KelTec goes as a spare. For those times when I have to wear a dress or evening gown the KelTec goes in the handbag which never leaves my side.

Guys have it so lucky.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't usualy carry a second back up handgun every day. My back up to my handgun is either an Colt M-4Sporter or a Ruger Mini-14 in the trunk.

In the field however I do carry a Glock 26 in the left side pouch that is on the inside of my Blachawk vest.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Kel-tec .380. That little gun can go anywhere and it has the same mag capacity of the Walther .380. It's a gun to be shot little but carried allot. Mine has the chrome slide with the larger extractor. Works very well. I have a Bersa .380 magazine bottom (it's curved like a PPKs) and they fit perfectly on the Kel-Tec and give a bit better hold without any loss of concealment.

I don't expect it to last as long as a 1911 or glock, but that's not it's function.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I sometimes carry a backup while off duty, but not as often as I used to. I do carry at least one gun almost all of the time, and pepper spray, and a knife, and handcuffs.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Glenn, just out of curiousity - no relevance to anything. What would you do if you found a civilian carrying a legal handgun along with valid CHL and handcuffs? Are handcuffs illegal to carry?

And no guys, I'm not into handcuffs. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Erika,

Uh... handcuffs are kind of kinky in some circles, if you know what I mean. It's a 'bondage' kind of thing. That might be their reason for having them.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Yeah, I know. I studied it for a novel and have no interest. Magician's escape techniques like Houdini's are interesting though.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if it's universal, but it isn't illegal to carry handcuffs here. BUT, if you lock someone up with them (like a citizen's arrest), you may be charged with impersonating a police officer.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I probably would not do a thing if he had a good enough reason; if not I may call the local cops. I am not certain but NY may have a law against civilians with cuffs, except for security officers. Ridiculous law if that is the case.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So, if I have a couple of cable ties on me, I wonder what NY would consider them, as they are not handcuffs....

:devil:

·
Registered
6,541 Posts
Off duty, no backup. When I'm only carrying my pocket .32 on me (probably 30% of the time now..?), I keep the Glock 9mm reasonably close.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
the hand cuff keys on my key ring get harder 'looks' than any weapon i have ever had to present to an l.e.o[at their request]

go figure!

thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts