Arms Locker banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, I've built three 1911 pistols. The first was "Patriot 82," a 5" '1911 I built during Dave Sample's on-line class. The other two are a Series 70/Caspian and a Hardslide/Caspian, which I've written about on other threads here. The neat thing (to me) about the second and third pistols is that I purposely used parts that were for the most part completely different from those I used in the on-line class, and again, I did that on purpose - I already knew that the choices Dave made for the on-line class would work - Dave had chosen them based on his 20+ years experience building Caspians. I chose other parts simply for the reason that I did NOT know how well they'd work together, and I hoped that by solving problems I'd learn more and add to what I had learned in the Patriot Class. I was correct!

With those three pistols all now completed except for the finishes, which are now being applied, I was up for another challenge, and one that would be something that would push me farther - that would probably make me pull my hair out, add to my boogered-parts box, and end up costing me money to have professional smiths fix what I'd done wrong. Well, my new project certainly should fit that bill!

The other day, I picked up a box full of brand new parts still in their wrappers. A friend had gathered the parts with the intention of building them into a pistol, but he had never found time to build into a pistol. He had since lost the urge to do so, and that allowed me to acquire the parts for a song. All that has been done so far is that he tried to fit the slide to the receiver, and it is a bit looser than I would have liked - probably about as loose/tight as a factory pistol. Everything else is NIB. Here’s a list . . .

Barrel – Baer .45 Super 6” ramped
Hammer – Wilson skeletonized ultralight
Sear – Nowlin
Disconnector – Ed Brown
Mag Catch – McCormick
Grip Safety – Baer
MSH - Ed Brown
Bushing – King’s target (full-gunsmith fit)
Slide Stop – Brown hardcore
Trigger – Baer short metal with OT-adjustment screw
Pins – Nowlin
Hammer Strut (Nowlin? Was in bag with pins)

The following parts are from “Ace Custom,” who appears to be the manufacturer of the .45 Super kit that’s part of the box . . . .

Extractror
Firing Pin Stop
Recoil System ( springs, guide rod and reverse plug)
Ejector
Magazine
Firing Pin and FP spring

There’s no link, but I have a Wilson pack to cannibalize from. Also, there’s no mainspring or plunger tube spring.

So, anyway, I guess I'm starting another one of my long threads. Am really looking forward to this next step in my education. And, in advance, thanks to all you folks for your friendship, and for your help, both past and future!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Jon.... Jon...... Jon.........]

Great Find for a build!!!:)

I've always like long slide pistols.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Another challenge. Another fun learning experience. Thats what makes life worthwhile. Glad for ya.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Righto! And a challenge it is. Although I've practiced doing certain things, I have never actually done them as an intended final installation. Those include installing a ramped barrel, fitting the ID of a match bushing, and selecting the appropriate barrel link. Also, I'll be building on something other than a Caspian frame and slide, which is all I've ever used.

So, should be fun!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
here we go again bigjon. you do relieze that by the time you done you'll have no hair. sounds like this one will get you pulling it before its over. well i'm going to build me a new ar-15. i just got done selling my ar race gun to a young fellow that really had the itch to have one. i think i'm finally getting old enough to quit the 3 position shooting anyway. last time i shot was last year just didn't have the desire to do it this year. i'll keep my m-1a's though, they just shoot to good to let them go. as for the ar i think i'm going to build a 600 yrd prone gun. i've already got a couple of lowers that need uppers. i ordered a 24" bull barreled upper kit from jt's today. i should have it together before the new year now i have got to decide what scope to put on it. don't want to put out for a nightforce as i already have 5 of them and momma would give me the look, if i got another. :cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here we go again bigjon. you do relieze that by the time you done you'll have no hair.

About pulling my hair out, you know what they say: "Hair today, gone tomorrow!"

I'm so, so sorry. That was awful, I know. :toilet:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The longslide .45 Super is moving along. In fact, it is now a functioning gun (except for the mag catch, since I don’t have a spring for it yet.

Fitting up the barrel was a VERY fun exercise! It is the first one I have ever done all the way. I got to 48 on lockup, and at that point the empty case's primer pocket was centered in the firing-pin hole, so I stopped there and went to fittin' the lower lugs. Everything is nice and tight. The only thing that bugged me was that the link pin was TOO tight. It went in, but the link does not turn freely - take a little pressure to make it move fore and aft. I talked to Dave about it, and he said that with the link just being a little too tight, it might well “shoot in,” so I’m going to leave that as is for now.

Also, I have had a VERY strange thing happen with the sear pin! for some reason, it would not go all the way into the hole in the receiver. Close examination revealed that the bottom of the pin's head was not flat. That made it stand up above the left side of the frame (and not push all the way through to where I could feel it on the right side). That, of course, made it interfere with the thumb safety. Have tried to work on that, but I think I'll jut get another pin.

The really good news (for me at least) is that I seem to have overcome my mental block about fitting BT arms. This one is just right.

The slide parts are very tight. Still have to prep the tip of the extractor and install the ejector, but the FP stop is snug, snug, snug! It has to be driven out with a hammer and brass punch (just a few light taps). Got the FP stop’s hole chamfered.

Spent a LOT of time – probably over an hour! – slicking up the trigger bow, hammer, sear and disconnector, and their slots in the frame. I did not tough the interface areas of the sear and hammer. Guess I went a little overboard (I had the rare pleasure of time to kill), but I smoothed the sear and disconnector down to a full 800 grit! Now, they are so slick that they actually feel weird when I run my fingers over them. After reinstalling and checking everything there, I found that manually cocking the hammer felt so slick it felt like greased glass parts sliding over one another. NICEEEEEE!
I've also learned over time that when I work on contours, it is better for me to not do it all at once. I tend to miss things, or screw them up, if I do that. So, I started by prepping the receiver, but only doing some of the contour work around the trigger guard. Now that the gun is functional, I have gone back to contouring around the trigger guard. I went back to it last night, and I immediate recognized things that remained to be done, and also those that I needed to not touch any more. Glad I stopped when I did to give my eyes and brain a rest.

So, at this point, everything is torn back down, and when I pick the work up again, I’ll be doing the major smoothing work inside the magazine well, finishing up around the trigger guard, fitting the mag catch, and then doing the final carry bevel, which will be extremely light – just enough to break the sharp edges, and no more!

I guess it’s beating a dead horse, but thanks again to Dave, Dean and Bill for allowing me to live my dream, and to folks like Chuck Rogers, Don Williams, Bob Rodgers, Dave Erickson and the like for being so incredibly darned gracious with their advice and assistance as I build on what I learned in the Patriot class. And finally, I need to thank the other members here who have helped me - y'all know who you are!!!!!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
bigjon on 1911 style pistols, when i have an anything thats too tight, what i do is coat it with a slurry of gray rouge and oil. cycle it from 10 to 100 times it usually polishes the surfaces to match. sometimes it takes more cycles sometimes less. good luck guy. :cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, neo. Thanks for the reply. Yep, I use JB borepaste, heavily diluted with either white lith grease or, depending on application, sometimes Kroil. This interface is so tight that nothing would go in So, I whittled on a cratex dremel tip for awhile to get it into a columnar shape, and then used that just to smooth the inside of the hole. Now, the pin is still very tight, but it allows more freedom of movement.

This full-up barrel fittin' is fun! A little scary, since it's my first, but I'm having a ball!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i know what you mean bigjon. the first pistol i had to really fit the barrel took 3 barrels to get it right. the consolation to that is i know what to and what not to do now. the learning curve can be costly at times but generally well worth the cost in the end. :cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are absolutely correct, neo! See, to me, that's the key point - If someone wants to learn to build and work on 1911s and cannot attend a gunsmithing school or apprentice under a master, he must resolve - beforehand - to study every reliable source of information he can find, and be prepared - again beforehand - to ruin some things as part of the cost of tuition.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
bigjon after my post yesterday my now 10 yr old son came and asked me if i would build him another 1911 pistol. i asked him why would i have to do that, the one he has works just fine. he told me ya but i want to trade it to one of the cops thats shooting out on the range. he has a rifle and scope he wants to trade me for the pistol. well i looked at him and asked him "ok what kind of gun is it your trying to trade for". he told me that this cop had a remington vls with a leupold scope on it and he would be willing to trade it for the pistol if the pistol was really his. so i went out to the range and sure nuf theres this county cop thats new to his job, thinking hes going to out trade the kid. so i told my son if you want the rifle go ahead the pistol is his gun. the cop asked if it was ok and i told him the guns my sons and if he wants to trade it its ok with me. so the cop told my son he'd go out to his truck and get the rifle. this guy walks up with a stainless 700 fluted vls in .308 with a 4.5x14 30mm leupold lrt scope on it in a tactical case. my son told him well he'd have to throw in the case if he wanted to deal. the cop said ok. so they exchanged guns, cop happy , son happy. there were other leo's that knew my son just standing there watching the show. my boy took the rifle and put it in the gun room. came back out and asked if i thought he had made a good deal and should he tell the cop that he traded for a gun that i had built. i told him no, its just something that you get to smile about when you shoot the rifle.

well about twenty minutes later one of the range leo's and came in and asked what i thought about the deal, he had the biggest grin on his face at the time. i asked him if he was going to tell the FNG he got snookered by a 10 yr old. about this time the cop that made the trade and another cop came walking into the range house. this guy had the reddest face you ever saw. he asked me if i was going to let the trade stand. i called the house and talked to my son asked him to come back out to the range house there was someone that wanted to talk to him. when my son got there the cop asked him if he was aware of how unfair a trade he had made, my son told him yup, but sir it was you that wanted to take me to the cleaners, i didn't want to make a trade in the first place, it was all your idea. the cop asked him what it would take to get his rifle back. my son looked at him with the straightest face and told him that he was asking him to trade 1500.00 bucks worth of rifle scope, and case for a 350.00 pistol, but he'd be willing to trade back, if it would make him happy. the cop said good i was worried about that. my son told him well you don't know what you'll be trading so make an offer. the cop looked at him and said what do you mean. my son told him if he thought that he was going to trade straight across he needs to think again. if you want to trade the rifle and stuff for that pistol, you'll need to put at least 1200.00 cash with it or no deal, your not trading with some stupid little kid on the playground. the cop just closed his mouth turned around and walked out of the range house. my son looked up at the other leo and asked if he would like to buy the rifle. the cop told him not from you, kid, i'll go get one where i can make a good deal. i just busted a gut almost was rolling on the floor. one of the others leo's in the range house was laughing and asked my son to remind him to never let him make a trade with him. my son was laughing and just went back up to the house for dinner. i just got to love that kid, smartest one i ever raised makes his older brothers look retarded. so i guess i'll be building my son another 1911, he earned it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! What a story!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
NH, just remember where your son got his smarts. :)

RIKA

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!

Sounds like you are raising a great kid.:wavey:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, she's done - at least as "done" as I can get her at my current level of ability. I have most of the contouring done, but I still have a little finish contouring to do, and then it'll be off somewhere for prep and finish.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dunno yet, KD. Prolly blued. Gonna add some Bomars and also send it to a professional pistolsmith to make sure I did everything right - my first full-up gunsmith fit of a ramped barrel.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
54 Posts
With those three pistols all now completed except for the finishes, which are now being applied, I was up for another challenge, and one that would be something that would push me farther - that would probably make me pull my hair out, add to my boogered-parts box, and end up costing me money to have professional smiths fix what I'd done wrong. Well, my new project certainly should fit that bill!

The other day, I picked up a box full of brand new parts still in their wrappers. A friend had gathered the parts with the intention of building them into a pistol, but he had never found time to build into a pistol. He had since lost the urge to do so, and that allowed me to acquire the parts for a song. All that has been done so far is that he tried to fit the slide to the receiver, and it is a bit looser than I would have liked - probably about as loose/tight as a factory pistol. Everything else is NIB. Here’s a list . . .

Barrel – Baer .45 Super 6� ramped
Hammer – Wilson skeletonized ultralight
Sear – Nowlin
Disconnector – Ed Brown
Mag Catch – McCormick
Grip Safety – Baer
MSH - Ed Brown
Bushing – King’s target (full-gunsmith fit)
Slide Stop – Brown hardcore
Trigger – Baer short metal with OT-adjustment screw
Pins – Nowlin
Hammer Strut (Nowlin? Was in bag with pins)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts