Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here with any experience loading these bullets for the .223 round?

In particular in using WW-748 powder for either weight?

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Sorry, we get Chinese 5.56mm 55 grain FMJ so cheap that it hasn't been worth reloading for almost 10 years now.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that stuff is equal to match ammo?

Back before William BJ Clinton banned Chinese small arms and ammo from the USA it was roughly on average equal to other FMJ here. From what I remember.

Actually I'm looking for a heavy bullet that is accurate and has decent terminal performance and penetration.

The 70 gr TSX has good reviews so far from hunters and use ib the sandbox.

Now, however in looking at online sites it can be a bit finicky in some barrels. Not sure if this is true or not.

So I may just go with a 75gr Hornady BTHP and duplicate their TAP load.

Just doing research now.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Sorry, we get Chinese 5.56mm 55 grain FMJ so cheap that it hasn't been worth reloading for almost 10 years now.
I've still got about 300 rounds of that Chinese stuff in 5.56MM, and about the same in 7.62X39MM. It's good ammunition, but the smell is kind of weird.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
As all ammunition ages it "off gasses" the chemicals and solvents used to manufacture the propellant. Different countries of origin use different chemicals in the production of their ammunition.

About 10 years ago when I was spending an enormous amount of time reloading 5.56 mm I bought about 60 rds of the Chinese "norinco" 5.56mm to check against my reloads. I'm running a 14.5" Armalite M15A4 and the accuracy difference is less than a 1/2 inch increase at 100 yards. Since 95% of my AR shooting is "run & gun" at under 150 yards I have noticed minimal problems with accuracy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts