3 boxes of matches, waterproofed, and flint
coiled brush saw

U.S. Marine Vietnam Surplus packboard:
top:
Canvas and eider down mummy bag
plastic groundsheet
8x10 tarp

pouch 1:
7 pairs extra socks (in winter, a pair would be kept in a pocket as well)
4 pairs underwear
sewing kit
50 ft snare wire
pouch 2:
medical kit including antibiotics, painkillers, bandages, and surgical needles
1 lb of cornmeal
butter
dried fruit
a good slab of bacon

I am currently revising the list, am open to suggestions. AR's are out of the question.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
try to pick up/score/ a decent .22 rf pistola
a 9 shot da[revolver] would suffice

:wavey:

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
I personally don't believe that any post 64 Winchester has what it takes to sustain its usefulness during life in a hostile enviornment. This opinion comes from my previous ownership of a Winchester Wrangler see; http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29926 I prefer a surplus military rifle as they have a proven track record for handling abuse under all conditions. The rifle that you finally choose should reflect its usefullness in your chosen geographical location over a 365 day period, under all climatic conditions.

When I put together my kit, a primary consideration was that I could pack it and leave it unopened for 5 years. http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29462
Last thing I wanted to be doing was having to check every 2 months to ensure that the food I packed hasn't gone bad.

One thing that I always found to be very important always ensure that your socks and underwear are "broken in". The blisters and rashs that can show up after wearing new kit can be unbelievably painful.

Practice with your kit, for me thats one reason why I purchased a commercial ruck. As your humping your ruck around town getting some exercise its better to look like an dedicated backpacker than a reject from the Montana Militia.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise; i think i might try for a lee enfield rather than the .30-30. A little harder to get, but ive always wanted one anyway.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
This may sound funny, but I'd double the allotment of socks. Take it from a ground-pounder, your feet catch hell. Throw a bottle of foot powder in your med kit, too.

Get more knives. I'd say something like a Swiss Army Knife (Wenger or Victorinox preferrably) for small general use, and something like a Buck 110, for eating. Don't use your eating knife for anything else.

I agree with Garand on ditching the Winchester. If you're hurting for cash, a good choice is a Mosin Nagant. They are very inexpensive, have proven themselves reliable in every extreme of environment there is. The ammo is powerful (on the order of the .30-06) and cheap.
If you can spend more money, your choice of the Enfield, IMHO is the best. Also proven to be reliable in every environment, slickest action out there, period. The ammo is a lot more expensive, but there is some surplus (South African) that's been good to me so far, and good commercial loadings. It's about as powerful as a .308. Garand made a good point before about the new .308 Enfields that TriStar is importing, that although they are chambered in .308, they haven't proven themselves like the original .303 versions have, so I'd recommend sticking with the .303s.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I would also recommened a small. light weight, accurate .22lr pistol. Something like a Smith&Wesson Kit Gun.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Garand said:
I personally don't believe that any post 64 Winchester has what it takes to sustain its usefulness during life in a hostile enviornment. This opinion comes from my previous ownership of a Winchester Wrangler see; http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29926 I prefer a surplus military rifle as they have a proven track record for handling abuse under all conditions. The rifle that you finally choose should reflect its usefullness in your chosen geographical location over a 365 day period, under all climatic conditions.
I like my Marlin 336 Cowboy. A quality lever action.

When I put together my kit, a primary consideration was that I could pack it and leave it unopened for 5 years. http://www.armslocker.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29462
Last thing I wanted to be doing was having to check every 2 months to ensure that the food I packed hasn't gone bad.

One thing that I always found to be very important always ensure that your socks and underwear are "broken in". The blisters and rashs that can show up after wearing new kit can be unbelievably painful.
Both paragraphs reflect experience, and should serve as a standard for selecting and packing a ruck.

Practice with your kit, for me thats one reason why I purchased a commercial ruck. As your humping your ruck around town getting some exercise its better to look like an dedicated backpacker than a reject from the Montana Militia.
Very sensible advice. I have two rucks that are woodland camo. After I became aware of peoples reaction to camo, and bought another pack in dark green. I wanted to emulate a backpacker too.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Oh yes, forgot about the .22 handgun.
I like the Ruger Single-Six best because it comes with two cylinders, one for .22 Magnum, the other for .22 LR. You can shoot any .22 rimfire, from .22 Short through .22 magnum in it.

Many think that .22 LR can never dry up, but I remember around here, just before Y2K, the stores shelves were bare of .22 LR, but still had .22 short and Magnum rounds available.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Coyote said:
Thanks for the advise; i think i might try for a lee enfield rather than the .30-30. A little harder to get, but ive always wanted one anyway.
My advice is to stick with calibers, and firearms that are used by law enforcement and the military. While initially more expensive, the convenience that could be had later, might make the cost cheap in the long run.

The calibers I have concentrated on for eventual expected needs are:

Colt 1911s in 45 ACP

Smith and Wessons in 9 MM

22 long rifle -- too many to count in rifles and pistols, but: Marlin rifles, Ruger 10/22s, Ruger MK ll government models, Smith and Wesson stainless kit guns,

Colt AR-15s, a Ruger Mini 14 in .223

Colt AR-15s and a Ruger Mini-30 in .762X39

Armalite AR 10, Springfield Armoury M1A in .308

The Rugers have been modified with Lothar Walther barrels, and they shoot under one inch reliably.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Coyote, have you considered on organizing the food you pack in your ruck by the calories they contain rather than the amount. The normal human body needs about 2,500 to 3,000 calories a day to survive in perfect functional shape. During inclement weather such as winter your body might require 6,000 calories a day. On a recent program that I watched about climbing Everest, the climbers require a wooping 12,000 calories a day. Might be worth some study.

Or if you slow, inept, lazy, too stupid to learn and chickenshit you can go with tang and peanut butter 10 day diet. While your brain might not be functioning at 100% I'm told that this fantasy diet will keep you going. Its very popular with those who have fantasy prison escapes.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
organising by calories might be a good idea; so would another knife, more socks and foot powder. like i stated above though, this is purely wilderness survival; I dont plan on shooting at anyone, so ARs are out and id rather just stick to one firearm; If i were to take a .22, id probably take a browning grade 1 along.

As for the food, its mostly just to supplement what i can gather from the area around me; lichen, mushrooms, berries, wild onions, tansy, nettles and tubers, as well as rabbit, upland birds, fish, insects and deer. Again, all this gear is for recreational trips into the back woods, not for combat.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Ruger MKII .22 would be a nice addition. ON your firestarting material I would get a magnifying glass. You run out of matches or your lighter runs out, if the sun is out you can start a fire with dry grass and the glass. If you are strapped for cash the Mosin Nagant M44 is a nice rifle. However an SKS would be better, as far as affordibility of ammo compared to the M44, a .308, or 30-06. Plus if you run into two legged varmits you have the ability to lay down suppression fire if necessary.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Aries said:
A Ruger MKII .22 would be a nice addition. ON your firestarting material I would get a magnifying glass. You run out of matches or your lighter runs out, if the sun is out you can start a fire with dry grass and the glass.
A decent magnifying glass is occasionally useful for finding splinters in your skin and whatnot as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts