Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

bee stings kill more people than bears do

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Dorobuta 
#1 ·
so why bother to carry anything more than your regular ccw pc in "bear country", hmm? Men will STILL be the more commonplace, and by far the more deadly threat,whereever you go. So optimize for dealing with men, not carry some big clunk that ruins your chance of a SURPRISE (ie, no concealment) and which is both slow into action and slow for repeat hits.

#2 ·
So tell us about your escape from prison then!

#3 ·
I tell you what, the next time you are charged by a 1,000 pound Brown Bear, you tell me what gun you wished you had had. That is if you have any breath left at all. The fact of the matter is that I would carry a rifle or shotgun over a pistol; and the rifle or shotgun would be capable of killing bear as it would also be quite capable of killing men. As for a handgun in BIG bear country, it would not likely be a pistol but rather a revolver in a large caliber.

Now since I can carry legally in all states, I would have no need to hide it (unless required by law) as would you so I would choose an appropriate caliber. Your logic always seems limited to your particular situation whereby you are necessarily forced to carry hidden weapons because of legal issues; and by your seeming need to have to surprise others with your weaponry. Legal, law abiding citizens have no need for such in bear country, and would carry in a readily accessible holster that is not concealed. Men who are armed and who face likely armed conflicts with other armed men really don't need a concealed weapon either unless it is required by law or regulation. Of course there is another reason you may choose to carry concealed, such as when you are trying to be a low down cowardly sneak who is trying to attack someone who does not expect to be attacked. Is this you?

As for more people being killed by bee stings that is in great part due to allergic reactions from which people suffer due to the bee venom. It is additionally caused by the fact that more people encounter more bees (many more) than they do bears. It has also been exasperated by the arrival of Killer Bees in the USA. Comparing death due to bee stings to death due to bear attacks is somewhat a poor analogy, but I would not expect more.

Sincerely,
Glenn B

#4 ·
Garand said:
So tell us about your escape from prison then!
Well, according to Terry, there was no escape.

The extra time was evidently due to lying on a 4473. A 4473 is the yellow slip that everyone fills out whenever buying a firearm in the USA from a licnesed firearms dealer.

In the days before Brady, to get caught lying on a 4473 usually took some doing. You had to have really screwed up for that to happen, such as commiting other crimes, getting caught with a weapon you're not supposed to have, etc. It's one of those extra little things that has serious penalties which they can slam you with if they are serious about trying to nail you.

#6 ·
mrostov said:
Well, according to Terry, there was no escape.

The extra time was evidently due to lying on a 4473. A 4473 is the yellow slip that everyone fills out whenever buying a firearm in the USA from a licnesed firearms dealer.

In the days before Brady, to get caught lying on a 4473 usually took some doing. You had to have really screwed up for that to happen, such as commiting other crimes, getting caught with a weapon you're not supposed to have, etc. It's one of those extra little things that has serious penalties which they can slam you with if they are serious about trying to nail you.
The AUSA WAS trying to nail him. Third violation of a convicted felon? What would want him to do? Spank him and send him home?

#7 ·
Here's everything wrong with your post and your apparent inability to do any critical thinking:

Bees exist everywhere.
Bears are typically found in bear country. You even acknowledge this fact in your ridiculous diatribe.

If you are in bear country, you should expect to encounter bears. If you are at the supermarket, you would not expect to encounter bears.

So, carrying what is appropriate for the situation is what is know as proper planning. Since my bear country gun is more than adequate for dealing with men, it is NOT a bad choice. Depending on the activity I am doing in bear country, I may only have a bow and a pistol, or I may have a rifle and a pistol. In either case it is usually a revolver in .45 (long) Colt. And before you go and try to claim it isn't enough to stop a bear, go research the effectiveness of pistols on stopping bear attacks - they are 98% effective, and that includes the use of .22s

As far as rifles go, if I am in bear country is is because I am elk hunting, and I'm carrying a .338 Win Mag. Are you going to claim it isn't enough for bears or men? (remember, the pistol is backing up the rifle)

And why is a non-concealed weapon slower into action? That is the dumbest statement ever, maybe you can explain it rationally. And why is it slow for repeat hits?

And usually, when I'm in bear country, I seldom see another human outside of my hunting group.

why do you always come up with stupid justifications for things? You would have been better off saying your normal CCW may be sufficient. But if I'm hunting, CCW is generally off the table anyway - I'm visibly armed, and I'm wearing a pack. In other words CCW would be a hinderance, not a help. I wish you'd actually get some real experience in the outdoors - you would make adjustments to your posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.