Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a sandbag or 2 under the forend of a scoped Savage lever, and one under the buttstock, just behind the pistol grip, you might get 1.5" groups at 100 yds, with good ammo, with a good hand on the rifle. However, prone, with a rolled up jacket to pad the rifle, you will be doing well to group 2" at 100 yds. Without the rest, you will be doing really well to group 2.5", and 3" is probably more realistic.

Sitting, with a backpack as a rifle rest, you might group 2.5" at 100 yds, but 3" is more realistic. Withhout the rest, 3" would be very good, and 3.5" would be realistic. Kneeling or standing, unsupported, expect 4-5" groups, even if you are pretty good at it. Sitting, in particular, makes the shooter prone to "canting" the rifle. 3" at 100 yds thus becomes 8" at 200 yds, because the recoil of the Savage moves you, and you don't quite return to the same angle of "cant" with the rifle. This effect is magnified at longer range, you see.

So it's VERY easy to completely miss the 10" vitals circle of a deer at 250 yds, sitting, no brace, or at 150 yds, standing. If all you do is miss cleanly, fine, you got lucky, but if you break his foreleg, or gut shoot him, you are going to have nearly as miserable time finishing off the deer as he is in his final few hours of life, and you DESERVE much worse.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
With a sandbag or 2 under the forend of a scoped Savage lever, and one under the buttstock, just behind the pistol grip, you might get 1.5" groups at 100 yds, with good ammo, with a good hand on the rifle. However, prone, with a rolled up jacket to pad the rifle, you will be doing well to group 2" at 100 yds. Without the rest, you will be doing really well to group 2.5", and 3" is probably more realistic.

Sitting, with a backpack as a rifle rest, you might group 2.5" at 100 yds, but 3" is more realistic. Withhout the rest, 3" would be very good, and 3.5" would be realistic. Kneeling or standing, unsupported, expect 4-5" groups, even if you are pretty good at it. Sitting, in particular, makes the shooter prone to "canting" the rifle. 3" at 100 yds thus becomes 8" at 200 yds, because the recoil of the Savage moves you, and you don't quite return to the same angle of "cant" with the rifle. This effect is magnified at longer range, you see.

So it's VERY easy to completely miss the 10" vitals circle of a deer at 250 yds, sitting, no brace, or at 150 yds, standing. If all you do is miss cleanly, fine, you got lucky, but if you break his foreleg, or gut shoot him, you are going to have nearly as miserable time finishing off the deer as he is in his final few hours of life, and you DESERVE much worse.
Not sure what you are basing this on. I see you are claiming it is specific to the Savage Lever gun, but I don't what specifically about this gun causes these things, and you don't say why, like so many of your posts, leaving us to guess what your point is.

My last deer was shot at 175 yds, I was standing. One round.
This years handgun javelina, using an AR pistol in 300 blackout (suppressed using supersonic hand-loads), was at 250 yards, standing, took three shots because I mis-judged the first (was using a red dot scope). It started running after the first shot, second shot connected, third shot finished it. Vitals on a Javelina are much less than 10".

Last years javelina was at 100 yards, same gun, one shot - through the heart. From sitting.

At any rate, it's far easier to connect on the shots you list than it isn't - especially if you have even modest skill with a rifle. Your bit about canting the rifle - it is usually the result of poor technique and a bad understanding of how to shoulder a rifle in the sitting position. This is why we shoot from a variety of positions, including standing, kneeling, prone, sitting, leaning against a barricade, and so forth. It's also why it is imperative to practice with the rounds actually being used.

You're the one bragging about shooting dogs (poorly), do you deserve worse? Hmm?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think one fellow along time ago wrote a SHTF parody story called The Many Deaths of GunKid in which one scene had him taken out by a little girl with a bolt action .22lr.
Shot him initially in either the nuts or the guts can't remember which and maybe wrong about that. The whole thing had me ROFLMAO. I think mrostov wrote it.

If something does go down maybe Life will imitate Art?😆

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.