Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to rifle statistics and not sure of which bullets are the best for gun and bore combinations. So i was wondering which bullet would you guys suggest for a 270 Mossberg 100ATR. I am going to be using it for semilong range shots on southeaster whitetail. I really have no idea what brands i should stay away from and what shoots well in the 270. Please help....... Thank you!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Part of the answer is going to depend on you and how much effort you're willing to put into the exercise.

I'm going to assume you will not be handloading. If you are, then let me know and the discussion changes a lot.

What do you consider to be semi-long? In the east, some might consider a 200yd shot to be long. Here in the west, it's in the average category. Simply because of terrain and climate.

Your particular rifle will probably like some bullet wt / manufacturer combinations that an identical rifle might not like.

I'd think you'd be looking at 130 - 140 grainers.

If you don't mind spending the $$, then try the failsafe, or some other premium loading. Otherwise, if your rifle shoots it well, and you put the round where it belongs, then the animal won't argue with you over who's bullet you were using.

My problem is two fold: 1) I don't own a .270 - though I do own a .280 and 2) I handload, and haven't bought factory hunting ammo in a long time.

Don't know if my answer was of any use to you or not, but let me know if I can clarify or point you in a specific direction

:devil:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not going to be handloading. I am jsut going to be buying over the counter. I just want to know what brands should i stay away from and what ones are good or what kind or things should i look for to determine a good bullet?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Flyride said:
Im not going to be handloading. I am jsut going to be buying over the counter. I just want to know what brands should i stay away from and what ones are good or what kind or things should i look for to determine a good bullet?
If you don't need super-sub-MOA accuracy, I'd start with the Remington PSP loads. Some people don't like them because they are "too common," but that is why I am recommending them! If a place sells ammo, the .270 is one of the calibers they sell. If they sell .270, they will have the Remington PSP (Pointed Soft Points, Core-Lokts). Sooo, ammo is very easy to find even in the boondocks where you might find out that you just happened to forget your ammo. Accuracy is usually MUCH better than 99.9999% of hunters need out of typical hunting rifles in 99.999% of hunting situations. In other words, at 200 yards, it is very likely to be able to put a shot in less than a 4 inch circle from an mostly unsupported position in a box blind if YOOU are up to doing something that good. Like most hunters in blinds, I need a good rest to be able to do that with any rifle.

....and the price is very, very nice on these common rounds.

The soft core-lokts have also proven that they can - and WILL - drop game if you put it in the general area of wherew you are supposed to put it. They react perfectly in my opinion - lots of knock-down with minimal meat loss for such a high power round. I can't say enough good things about this bullet design. (For the record, my experience is mostly with .30-caliber rounds and not .270, but I have talked to MANY friends about this same bullet in their .270 wit hthe same positive results.)

I would AVOID thinks like the Ballistic tips for thin skinned games. They seem to literally destroy too much meat and make the animal look like a bomb went off in the path of the projectile! They went WAY over board on that bullet type in my opinion. I won't even let a person use those on a hunt if I am taking them on that hunt! Disgusting what they do to meat. I've never seen what those do in something like a .30-06, but I hope I never do! They might be good in a lighter round like a .243, but I don't know. I won't hunt deer with a .243., If I had to, I think I'd be more likely to try the ballistic tips, though. They would also probably be real nice for LONG range shots (>350 yards) since they are so accurate out of many guns...and the bullet would have slowed down enough to maybe not be so damaging to the edible parts of the poor animal!
KJ

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I'll second KJun's recommendation of the Remington's "Express" loads -- their cheap loads with their Core-Lokt PSPs. I've used these on everything from .308 to .45-70, and they really are an excellent hunting round. A diamond in the rough if you will.

I'd also stay away from Ballistic Tips. They were designed to vaporize varmints, and they do that very well. Shoot a whitetail, and bank on losing that quarter.

The other hunting round in the smaller calibers I'm sold on is the aforementioned Failsafes (Winchester loads them). They are kind of a partition and Barnes X-bullet combined into one. They are very effective and very expensive.

Middle of the road between the Remington and the Failsafes would be the Nosler Partition or Swift A-frame, both loaded by several manufacturers.

I'd recommend something in the 130-gr to 150-gr weight. Most manufacturers make their ammo in that range, with 140 grain being most popular.

I have a friend who swears by his .270 and hunts with the Remington Core-Lokts, if that means anything to you.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
That's funny - I just talked to one of my friends who shoots a .270 and he likes the remingtons too...

I guess they're the way to go....

:devil:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Flyride said:
So i was wondering which bullet would you guys suggest for a 270 Mossberg 100ATR. I am going to be using it for semilong range shots on southeaster whitetail. I really have no idea what brands i should stay away from and what shoots well in the 270. Please help....... Thank you!
Mossberg normally uses a 1-in-10 twist for their .270's. I recommend a 130 grain bullet. Ammunition is a competitive market, so most brands are quite accurate.

Since hunting shots are seldom farther than 300-400 yards, boattail bullets don't help much. Besides, flat based bullets offer longer bearing surfaces for rifling and hence better accuracy.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I forgot to mention, Winchester puts out their PowerPoint, basically their cnaswer to Remington's Core-Lokt. It's really hard to find a "bad" hunting round. The trick is, buy a few of different types and find out which your gun likes, that's what it always comes down to, with factory loads or handloads.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i couldn't[wouldn't] post on this thread, never having shot nothing but hand loads in my ruger mod#1 and nothing more than serria gamekings in 130 and 150's although i ran off some of their 90 grainers from the .270ren play pistol

my.270 and others have been tucked in the attic[arrowsmith,anybody?]
for over a year......doughhhh ...nevermind.

although, theres others to shoot, i doubt i'll ever part with that .270
[till death]

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Toys in the Attic. . .LOL

BTW, it's Aerosmith. Easy way to remind yourself is think of "aeroplane" rather than "bow and arrow".

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
ha! thanks .
i went to the cassette turntable[i really did] to find one of their tapes,for spelling, after 30seconds [it was sensory overload] i went with the string-pullin' variant.

thanks,like the [aero-star]trucks.

once again! mag-88 pretty well 'lines me out' now quit beatin' me up or i'll call
my mom! damn-it! :dgrin:

B.T.W. i did get off the phone with my mother not 15 minutes before i posted this as she is riding with her grandaugther up to a naval base[as my niece is a navy medical tech] they just left billings mont. and are heading to washington state,then she will fly back to ind. she is a beautiful lady and i'd love to see her happy[re-married, if she wanted],,,,,cuz' lifes way to short to be a jerk[that's for one and all,myself included]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts