Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, its me again, and I am intersted in hunting deer with a Ml. My question is already in the subject line.

I would be pleased hearing a few tipps.

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thompson Center Arms and Lyman both make traditional muzzle loaders at reasonable cost. Personally, I like the Lyman Hawken. Be sure to get a possibles bag with proper cleaning equipment and all of the accessories. Also observe safety precautions and clean your rifle promptly after firing so it doesn't rust.

Good luck.

RIKA

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for your answers. I will start with an Lyman Hawken. But which caliber would be the better choice for deer? .50 or 54?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I think 50 cal is traditional.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Better choice for deer? Either will kill deer handily.
For your first a .50 would probably be best, as it's usually easier to find more of a variety for them.

BTW, pick up a copy of the Dixie Gun Works catalog.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
agent00 said:
Thx for your answers. I will start with an Lyman Hawken. But which caliber would be the better choice for deer? .50 or 54?
IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Lyman. They are the best commercially made black powder rifle out there.

I've killed deer with both calibers. I currently use a .54, but the deer don't seem to be able to tell the difference. Mainly I bought a .54 because I wanted to hunt bear.

For years I killed them with a .40 caliber.......either caliber you named will work just fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx again for your answers. At first I will only hunt deer with my hawken but later, I would also be interested in hunting elk. Which caliber would be better for elk? .050 or .54?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Again, either will do for Elk also, like with any other firearm, bullet placement and bullet design will have more of an effect on performance than just caliber. I'd probably pick a good, full-caliber bullet for large deer or elk over a round ball in either caliber. BUT, consider that every game animal at one time or another has fallen to patched round balls in .50 and .54 caliber.

Of course the .54 does make "mo' bigga hoes".
Heck, get the .50 now, and you can always use "I need it for Elk" as an excuse to buy the .54 later.

To me, the bigger the bore, the better, but .50s aren't exactly poodle shooters.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thx again for the info I will report when I have got my hawken. I will order it tomorow. :cool:

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I was in the market for a new one, I would opt for a Thompson Center .50 to start. Then I would have the option of buying a extra barrel from a company like Green River in .54 or 58 if I ever wanted to shoot a moose or an elk, or a .45 for smaller game, and have the same lock and stock that I'm already famaliar with. But thats just me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bought a CVA Mountain Rifle, 4yrs ago delivered to my door for 75FRN, and loved it ever since. It is the black plastic stocked model in .54cal and I didn't need to make amy mods to be comfortable

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Chili Willi said:
If I was in the market for a new one, I would opt for a Thompson Center .50 to start. Then I would have the option of buying a extra barrel from a company like Green River in .54 or 58 if I ever wanted to shoot a moose or an elk, or a .45 for smaller game, and have the same lock and stock that I'm already famaliar with. But thats just me.
Green Mountain makes the same thing for the Lymans Chili.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They do make switch barrels for the Lyman, but for what you pay for a great plains you might be able to by a thompson AND a .54 or .58. Then, if the big bore barrel didn't work out, you would probably have a better chance sellin it than a Lyman barrel as Thompsons are much more(I think) common. Either way, Both are quality rifles. I shoot a CVA mountain rifle and am very pleased with it. The CVA actually fits me better than the Lyman, or I'de probably find a excuse to have one. I like the longer barrel of the Lyman.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts