Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit warmer today, 48 degrees, so I took off for the range, there about 4 hours. Shot a Smith model 19 4in. that I picked up awhile back, sighted it in with my load. Also shot two Glocks, a 19 an a 17, both had rear sights changed to the Glock adjustable. also changed out the plastic front sights to a steel one. Worked out great. Found about a half coffee can of 9mm brass, only picked up the clean an left the 40 an 380. Ford Perfect came over from IN an he sighted in a new 686 Smith and a 629 that I replaced the RR with a gold bead. Almost a great day to be outside.Needs to be 70 degrees for me!
Range was almost empty but still heard about the time Mel, stuptard, IGMO or whatever atempted the blue a #1 Ruger without taking it apart first. Some of the shit he did will never be forgotten. It was a almost new rifle! Ruined.

Super Moderator
I gotta finish up my last .308win. loading project then confirm the zeros on two rifles.
Been waiting for the "Calvin and Hobbes" range to reopen but I'm getting the urge.

I'm also thinking of volunteering as a range master for it.

To be honest though I like the general crowd better at the Crowder Range outside of Neosho MO. Even though it's twice the distance from my home.
Sigh, although not built back then I used to live part time only 4ish miles from there.

Registered
The nice Postal lady delivered my S&W M37 yesterday, got plenty of Cowboy ammo and +P in the house, but I think I'll build a few today in the mid range so I get a better idea when I hit the range tomorrow.

Registered
unfortunately not.

Registered
On CCW issues, I'm still undecided about whether I'm leaving the US after my wife is gone and that's been one factor.

I just honestly don't know what I'll be doing long-term (probably go to Texas short term, to establish residency in a non-income-tax state and ride a lot of cruise ships for a while), but the three countries I'm primarily considering for long-term expatriating would all be very restrictive as well. Strangely, that doesn't seem as big a deal to me as I would have thought. The kids are gone & not under my protection anymore, and if I'm truly on my own (which I would be at that point), for some reason I think I could probably accept the "unarmed beach bum" life or something similar.

Super Moderator
Yeah I've considered El Salvador maybe Costa Rica, or if I wanted a colder climate I think I might qualify for dual citizenship with Poland and a Polish passport.

Registered
Honestly, if it wasn't for your health care system, my wife and I would have moved to Montana or Western Wyoming years ago after I retired.

Reactions: Terry G

Registered
The three countries I'm semi-seriously considering are Mexico, Belize, and Serbia. Serbia sounds odd, but other than the weather being colder than I prefer, it has a surprising amount going for it for US expats.

Mexico would be most likely candidate, with Belize in second. Belize is a very young country, just getting its independence from Britain around 40 years ago or so. But it's an English-speaking country. Mexico (for the most part) offers cheaper cost of living, but with the caveat of Spanish being the main language (not a deal killer, I'm fortunate in my ability to pick up that stuff more than I can pick up a lot of things). And Belize and Mexico both offer much easier travel to & from the US as well (my kids would still be here, so that's a consideration).

Registered
Have you checked out you tube videos about living in those countries yet? There appears to be lots of ex pats doing videos on life in their chosen country these days.

Registered
A lot of them, and I subscribe to a few channels specifically about the subject. Nomad Capitalist is a good one to start with, giving somewhat of a "30,000 foot view" of a lot of different countries; and then there are a lot of country-specific channels once you find one you may be interested in. Once you want to start comparing differences in cost of living between places, numbeo.com is pretty good for that.

I've only been to eastern europe once and never been to Serbia; and would have never even considered Serbia if it weren't for some of the US expats already there and putting out content about it. The weather there isn't ideal for my preferences, it would mean learning another language, and I don't think I'd like being that far from the kids, but it does have some upsides to it. It's right on the Mediterranean which is pretty and also handy for catching cruise ships, and supposedly has a cost of living of ~40-60% lower than Little Rock, which is itself lower than a lot of the US. Also, (surprising to me) there are some SASS clubs there in eastern Europe; I haven't found any in Mexico or Central America as far as I recall. There are some other eastern european countries that I looked into a little, mostly coastal countries along the Adriatic like Montenegro and Croatia, but also Austria and Hungary, but pretty much ruled out anything in that area other than Serbia, and even Serbia is a pretty low likelihood. Belize and Mexico are far more likely.

Belize is a weird one, and somewhat of a wild card cost-wise. I've only been there once, but their cost of living is all over the place depending on category. Most things are lower than in the US, but some are higher, so it would likely be somewhat of a wash cost-wise. But it's simply gorgeous, with about perfect weather (excepting the occasional hurricane...), and English is the primary language there. It also adjoins mexico, so travel to & from the US is about the same.

Mexico is the most likely candidate, and is evidently hugely popular with American retirees. There's talk of Royal Caribbean opening a cruise terminal in Cozumel or Playa del Carmen (surprising to me that there's not one already imo), and that would make the Yucatan peninsula anywhere from pretty much from Progreso to Tulum a great option for my purposes. The weather is very good, the cost of living is low in most places (although this particular area is higher than most of mexico), it's supposedly fairly easy to qualify for even permanent residency, and if there was a caribbean cruise terminal close by, that would be just icing on the cake. A lot of cruise ships stop at cozumel, cancun, tulum, etc, but they're just passing through. No large-ship cruises actually start & end there.

Ecuador is apparently another extremely popular US expat destination, but it's not really on my radar, mainly for geographic reasons.

Still not sure what I'll do long term. Short term will probably just be Texas largely for tax purposes, as I can't see staying in our big new house here on 40 acres all by myself. That said, my wife's widowed mother lives near us and I won't be doing anything while either she or my wife are still a factor regardless. Whether I actually do go somewhere else or not is still yet to be seen, but it's interesting (and frankly a nice distraction) to look at pleasant places and options in the meantime.

Super Moderator
I'm still considering the dual Polish citizenship deal. I'm not sure if I have to be a full time and resident. I do know firearms ownership is allowed club membership of some kind and they do have carry permits as well.
I normally don't like coat tail riding but since several of my relatives would be consider war heroes of a sort there ; the full family last name might help got to get that changed back anyways. Once I get used to using half the alphabet to spell it.馃檮馃榿
Always pays to have an emergency exit strategy

Registered
Ed - From the little I've looked into it, EU countries tend to have a higher cost of living than their non-EU neighbors, but I don't know if that's universal or not.

Fwiw on Poland & citizenship by descent. I haven't watched these specific videos of his, but I like the channel overall. These are about 4 years apart in publication date, so there may be substantial differences in how Poland does things now:

Super Moderator
John, thanks I'll look at it now

Well crap, Grandpa was born before 1899 and my father was literally born on the boat coming here.
Polish speaking part I figured I'd have to learn.
Oh well it is what it is. Not too thrilled about them being in the EU. Maybe one day I'll travel over and visit the distant relations there I'd like to at least find out if they moved back there from Great Britain or if they went through the Nazi and Stalinist purges.
After what I read about the Katyn Forest massacre I'm almost willing to bet they're ones who moved back from British but I can't be sure.
I don't have a passport so the way things stand with the new ID I'd have to go back to using the original full family name. I'd just have to get that done then everything switched over DL/ID, SS updated, bank accounts maybe even school and college record's. But don't know about the later two. Oh state tax info in titles for land and vehicles.馃檮
After all this and the cost of it I'm thinking of either giving up on the idea of international travel. Or, going forward with it just so I can possibly also visit Russia to drop a deuce on Joseph Stalin's grave to thank him for the document issues with my last name. As there's a good chance he and his NKVD goons were possibly the cause of it. But that's just a theory of mine and I might be wrong.

Registered
Not really relevant to anything, but on the topic of the Nomad Capitalist website and youtube channel, he had a video published today that struck a chord for whatever reason; probably simply because I didn't ask to be put in our current position. Basically about a guy commenting that leaving your home country was all about greed and not wanting to pay your fair share. I don't comment on youtube videos often, but did this time.

My comment:
Mr. Henderson 鈥 Keep doing what you do and ignore the whiners of the world. Five years ago I was one of those who would have said that I鈥檇 never leave the US, but my wife has terminal cancer and my future now looks very different from what we鈥檇 pictured in our decades-long plans. Since our kids are grown & gone, when that time comes I may just find someplace that鈥檚 a 4 or 5 hour flight away instead of the 5-hour drive time now required to see the kids.

Unlike the whiner in the quoted comment, I confess to being 鈥渕iddle income鈥 or even slightly below, being a small business owner with just four employees in rural Arkansas. I鈥檓 grateful for having been born in the US, was a proud soldier more than 40 years ago, and am now finally sick of seeing what is becoming of the country that I loved as a young man. For years, more than 40% of every dollar that has come into our business has gone out in some form of tax, license, fee, or other government-mandated expense. Nearly half of my retirement income will be from the inefficient social security system that I鈥檝e been forced to pay into for nearly half a century, and I can see no logical reason to stay somewhere that takes more of my money in both taxes and living expenses, when everyone depending on me will no longer be around. I鈥檝e served my country, I鈥檝e paid my outrageous taxes, and now If I鈥檓 going to be retired, drinking margaritas and smoking the occasional cigar, it may as well be on a beach in Latin America somewhere.

I know you don鈥檛 need my validation, but again, keep doing what you do. If it weren鈥檛 for the info garnered from Nomad Capitalist and similar sources, I would have had no idea what to do with myself once she鈥檚 gone; and now I have a somewhat higher hope of a happy retirement. So tell the haters to get bent, or just smile and pat them on the head like the emotion-based children that they are. Carry on, young man.

Registered
Honestly, if it wasn't for your health care system, my wife and I would have moved to Montana or Western Wyoming years ago after I retired.
Health care is one thing most people don't take into consideration when retiring. It can be a pension killer for sure. We're lucky in that my Wife has a retired teacher's plan and I have 100% care from the VA . If we had to pay straight out of pocket we would be hurting. Most retirement seminars stress getting in on a good plan way before you retire but most people don't listen. They work at Wal Mart instead.

Registered
Definitely, and not just in retirement. Our insurance (Blue Cross Health Advantage) pays for 99% my wife's daily chemo, but at the beginning we didn't know for sure if it would. If it hadn't, we'd be living under a bridge somewhere or in a family member's basement by this point. She's on (iirc) six different prescriptions including the chemo pills, and just the chemo alone is thousands per month. No way we could pay that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts