Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
JR got one at about 20m with his 459, DA, while out with Babe, Joe. I've forgotten what load he said he used. He almost hit the spine on a frontal shot. It staggered almost 200 yds, but fell within his sight.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Any cartridge, well placed will take down an animal, the only difference between your method of hunting, is that we are ethical hunters, that don't want to cause extended pain. Where you seem to enjoy inflicting pain on all animals you shoot.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
The first one, he was using a standard 124-grain hollow point, which you constantly say are junk. Might want to think about that. Even before he fired any shot past the first one, the buck was down and never got more than 2-3 yards from where he was first hit.

So you're praising the result of using a normal, off-the-shelf, factory bullet, in a normal, mid-range, typical-for-caliber bullet weight. Good to see you coming around.

·
Administrator
2,558 Posts
Just had a humourous thought about one or two of the locally built .50BMG Rifles I was as I put it a crash test dummy for.
Just imagine Melvin firing one.😆
I don't know which one would be worse. Neither one at the time had muzzle brakes or actual recoil pads.
The conventional rifle in profile but a single shot bolt action had about 2" of corrugated cardboard taped to the butt and was instantly crushed the second I fired it. Imagine a 6ft3" 230lb Sasquatch getting shoved a couple inches backwards in the prone position. Maybe that's why my height is now a hair short of 6ft 2"? 🤣
The next one was a single shot rifle of a similar design but a bullpup. That one I fired several times and while it started out sans muzzle brake it was later equipped with one.
It never got a recoil pad however it was by design meant to roll up a bit and then back down. And it was made to be primarily be fired standing or kneeling I can see Melvin firing it and it rolling or bucking up and him trying to level it on the way back down.
Or, he'd probably just go ass over teakettle with it's +/-40 some pounds landing on top of him.
That's if he'd go anywhere near one of them.😂

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
:D:D:D:D

·
Administrator
2,558 Posts
You remember the old cartoon with Elmer Fudd firing his shotgun and getting pushed back off the screen? I figure after that I knew what it felt like shooting the first one prone. I said they ought to call it the D.R. model for Detached Retina.🥴

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
And again, another of the perennial drive-by pontifications that we've come to expect.

JMD - you posted this thread specifically to point out that the 9mm is adequate within certain parameters, with which I agree. When I point out that in the video that you posted, the guy was using a normal-weight, commercially-available 124-grain hollowpoint bullet, you become mute on the conversation - the conversation that you started - because even though it worked fine (your entire reason for the thread), you simply don't want to hear it. The fact that he got a great result using a caliber you like is (in your mind) worth pointing out. The fact that he got that great result using a bullet that you DON'T like is reason to run & hide when it's brought up. Ever think it might be worth considering?

The deer dropped instantly and never got more than a couple yards from the spot where it was hit. Seems like a great result; a result brought about not just by the caliber, but by the caliber, the launching platform, the shooter, and the bullet itself. If you're going to praise the results, you have to praise the performance of the bullet, because the bullet is the only thing that even made contact the deer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.