Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and hit something at long range,ONCE with 45-70. Hell, the bullet's gotta go SOMEPLACE, so of COURSE, every now and then, a 45-70 bullet hits something at long range. Sure, with LOTS of spotter shots, youcan hit a VW sized target at half a mile, even with a.44 mag revolver. Big deal.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
I think you are jealous with the ease that we can go out and purchase a firearm. Gunkid, you are the only one responsible for screwing up your life.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
No, people hit targets at 100-1200 yards with their .45-70s all the time. It's called practice. It's called knowing your weapon. You keep advocating all this practice at pistol ranges, so you don't think that people can actually know where their weapon shoots at long range. It's called ballistics, something you've shown little knowledge about.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Cool Read!

thank you for time line, and the link!

dosen't a canadian sniper have the longest confirmed kill with a barret.50cal

at 1.5 miles in afganistan?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
interesting.

i think that article is important because such shots are indeed a rarity.

doesn't the word "nintendo" mean "the way of making luck work out in your favor?"

anyways,.

brass hammer, I think a Canadian indeed has the longest confirmed kill now but I think it was a different caliber... .388 Lapua? COULD BE WRONG but that would be my guess... didn't Hathcock even admit that his long kill with the BMG was luck?

cheers

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The Canadian kill was with a .50BMG, a Barrett rifle, don't remember which model, perhaps Garand could clue us in? IIRC, it was a Canadian sniper team saving some of our guys' butts because they were being engaged from outside of the M4's range and getting chewed up. Afganistan is not the place for shorty .22s.

As to long range .45-70 shots being the exception. In combat, yes. However, it it regularly done today in competition. So if the question is "Can the .45-70 be effective at long range, despite it's mortar-like trajectory?" The answer is a resounding YES! But, you HAVE to know your rifle and you have to roll your own ammo. Problem with the short bus rider is he can't shoot a rifle and hit past 100 yards, and he can't even hit at that without a compensator. So his "knowledge of long range shooting is nil, and his opinion irrelevent.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
The kill was made by a McMillan TAC .50. The Canadian Army is now in the process of changing from 7.62NATO to .338 Lapua for its medium range sniper rifle.

http://www.sfu.ca/casr/101-ctac50.htm

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
nice, thanks for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts