Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here goes nothing..... I have been talking to a few guys and have found out that in large capacity cases (400+ grains) that they have used a Black powder charge near the primer to help ignite the main powder charge in slow burning powders (WC872). Does anyone have any experience with this? How much BP to use? how to place it? How much does this affect chamber pressures? Just to name a few questions....

Craig

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it even if we used YOUR gun.

#1. Even with smaller calibers you back off the loading when you use magnum primers. I can't think of anything that would be more "magnum" than a couple of grains of black. I assume they are using 4 F or something similar? That's about the fastest BP you can still buy. Dupont did away with the 7 F years ago.....not sure where the "cartridge" grade falls in the burn chart.

#2. How do you keep the black from mixing with the smokeless? Paper wadding? Now you are changing case capacicity. That affects pressures.

#3. What happens when you get that bang from the BP and the flame hits the smokeless? I don't know either. What if it detonates? You're going to the hospital........either the ER or the morgue.

Not worth it to me. Hell.....how much more performance do you want out of a BMG?

Of course, I'm of the paranoid sort. Maybe it'll just smoke more. :laugh01:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flinter, we are talking about bigger than .50BMG. Most larger cases including the .50 Spotter case have a flash tube filled with BP for igniting a smokeless charge. I am looking at about 10gr of 4f Black covered by tissue then main powder charge, covered by cotton wadding to keep the powder from moving. I am sure I wont blow myself up but I am looking for someone who has used it in practice.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Hmmmmm imagine that. I honestly thought the BMG was the largest round you could legally own.

Had no idea they primed other rounds with BP. I knew the navy still used it in some of their guns. Maybe that's what people have been talking about all this time and I just assumed it was something else.

Anyways, sorry I couldn't help. :wavey:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts