Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody carry Black Talons as their defense round? I carry the 45 acp, 230 gr. What other kinds of ammo?

"ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD ONE"

Nick

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Are you talking about the original Black Talons? If so, I think most people are hanging onto them as collectibles. I have an entire case of 10mm Black Talons somewhere around here.

As far as putting them in a carry gun, I dunno about that one. They got such bad press that you could wind up with a real legal nightmare if you shot someone with them in a defensive situation. An anti-gun prosecuting attorney would likely try to get a lot of mileage out of that, at your expense.

Sure wish Winchester had colored them pink and called them the Pink Pussy (Cat) Paws or something like that. :roflmao1: Of course, no REAL man would ever use them, then. But no jury in the world could keep a straight face when they heard what kind of ammo you were carrying.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
nope.wadcutters will do for me.rich's response reminded me of the "rhino"ammo that came out while the black talon was getting media attention.remember the rhino?the bullets that were AP,fragmentary,& you couldn't stop the bleeding from their wound?i seem to remember that their were two versions & that the media had,for a brief time,a field day with their inventor.i remember that his boasts were um exagerated.but no,no talons for me.the only thing with talons that i like are monitor lizards.:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if not the talons how bout Rem Golden Saber. I was told by a trooper that if you buy them make sure and get the BONDED kind. But if you ask any combat vet all you need is the good old 230 gr FMJ 45 acp. Justa thought.

nick "ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD ONE"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Talons?
Deffinately as a carry.
I have a small collection of 9mm, 10mm and .45ACP Talons, or actually, the re-named Talons, the L.E. Ranger.

I keep them in carry mode at all times and i can get them relatively cheap - Originals with black box with 20 rounds about25-30 bucks, OR the Rangers, in a brown box of 50 for 20 bucks.

I trust them, have used them to dispatch injured animals and have had no failure with a one shot kill or any failed expansions.
Legality issues can occur, but if you, as a citizen, perform all the steps needed BEFORE squeezing a trigger, as in difusing the situation by never having been there, escape from a potential escalation of a situation or attackers, do not escalate or be the aggressor etc, odds are, you will never have to fire a shot.
When the odds come true and you or I must, many good defense lawyers are up to speed on ballistics, know which experts to have as witnesses and if you do not lie about the events and you are in the legal right, then chances are good that you will not do any time behind bars, except for the initial investigatory arrest.

Sure, the ADA states that the Talons are evil as they do cause quite an expansion and trauma chamber when in comparison to standard munitions, but in direct comparison between actual shootings with and without Talons, the Talons actually caused less damage over all as only requiring one or two 'hits' to be effective, verses in many cases, using other types of munitions, many more 'hits' to obtain the same desired effect, which is ending the fight.

G

·
.45 black talong go thru big dogs,

end to end, and the exit wound looks JUST like the entrance wound. Golden Sabers,or Gold Dot's do no better. 850 fps just aint enough velocity to expand jhp bullets reliably in flesh, not even the hydroshoks. It's all a big lie, and you can prove it to yourself, on animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts