Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cause you can't possibly know, in advance, what you might have to do, and being seen with a gun might be worse than not having the rifle at all. The sleeping gear, spare clothing, cordage, bug netting, shelter gear, anything big and soft, can be rolled up and used as a frame for the pack Dye your underwear and socks, or buy them GI OD green, and they can be used to pad the shoulder and hip straps of a very lw day pack. Instead of wasting space and weight on padding that is otherwise useless. If your frame is external and of hollow tubing, a lot of small, useful, pointy gear, like fishooks, eye screws, etc, can be wrapped up and dropped down the tube, saving space and protecting your pack from punctiures. A hiker I met, who lived out on the road, used to hide his dope in his frame. :)

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a HUGE modern military pack, paid $30 on craigslist, probably weighed 6 lbs, by itself. Now that I have slashed away what I didn't need, it weighs 2.5 lbs. But it's one heavy duty setup.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Is it one of those USMC MARPAT camo ones or an older CFP90 in woodland?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
desert cammo, not woodland. it's about 30" tall. You could carry a good sized kid inside that thing and strap another kid on the outside of it. I'm not kidding. BIG sob.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yeah both are big based on "expedition" type civiy packs only built a bit heavier abd with all the extra webbing.

I miss that the Old Lowe Loco pack is not out there on the market, I still have my old one. Nice trim pack, for a big one, once you gut out the rappelling rig stitched onto the hip belt. Too much extra weight and I'd never trust a premade rig from that era no matter who made it. Would rather tie my own from rope or webbing.
Well not now as it's been ages since I've done that.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Pictures gun kid, other wise it is just another story!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
cause you can't possibly know, in advance, what you might have to do, and being seen with a gun might be worse than not having the rifle at all. The sleeping gear, spare clothing, cordage, bug netting, shelter gear, anything big and soft, can be rolled up and used as a frame for the pack Dye your underwear and socks, or buy them GI OD green, and they can be used to pad the shoulder and hip straps of a very lw day pack. Instead of wasting space and weight on padding that is otherwise useless. If your frame is external and of hollow tubing, a lot of small, useful, pointy gear, like fishooks, eye screws, etc, can be wrapped up and dropped down the tube, saving space and protecting your pack from punctiures. A hiker I met, who lived out on the road, used to hide his dope in his frame. :)
Yeah, no.

you aren’t replacing a frame with soft items. A frame is necessary for proper load management and load distribution. Padding is not useless.

this post illustrates your complete lack of any experience backpacking or living out of a pack. Your advice here is terrible.

there are better ways to pack small sharp items than stuffing them in a pack frame.

a lot of frames on higher end packs are not hollow tubes.

YMMV

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
Why have to stick your takedown in a ruck?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts