Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on hunting with BP rifles? I've got a CVA traditional style (side lock) .50 cal that I use with patched round balls (I'm trying to stay away from "high-tech" with this gun, else I'd just get an inline and defeat why I shoot Black Powder). At the range it is reliable and very accurate. My question is this: last year I loaded it for muzzleloading season and never got a shot at a deer. At the end of the season I brought it to a safe spot and fired it, and only the cap went off. After trying again, the third cap to fire finally set off the charge. Before I screw up with a real shot this year, is there anything I should do? Unload after each day? Seal the lock? Find a stupid deer that will let me shoot 2 caps before the gun goes 'bang'? Any ideas. Thanks for any help.

tuna

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I hunt with a Lyman 50cal Hawken. Have left the rifle loaded overnight and hunted with it firing reliably the next day. If I were hunting for a longer period would fire the charge that 2nd evening and clean. Keeping a BP gun loaded for an entire season isn't a good idea. Probably a little moisture got into the cap's fire channel and clogged things a little.

Am glad that you like the traditional BP guns because I'm a low tech person also.

Best

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
First of all, let me congradulate you on your choice to use traditional gear and not trying to make your BP gun shoot like a modern smokeless rifle.

Definitely do not go all season with the same charge. I would recommend unloading and reloading every day. The least bit of moisture will make BP hard to impossible to ignite, thus the old adage to "Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry."

Also (this may be obvious, but I've seen it done) if it's drizzling, or raining, or otherwise precipitating, keep the muzzle down. On second thought, just keep the muzzle down.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I should have known better :headbang: , especially with the temperature changing constantly from outside to inside. To be honest, I was hoping that I'd get tips on finding the stupid and patient deer, I'm not allowed in the zoo anymore :madeuce: . Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Tuna, tell us about your hunting area. Is it heavily wooded, semi open, very open? If it is allowed, a deer feeder that dispenses corn via a timer helps greatly. Also a box stand or tripod stand that gets you well up off the ground so you can see better helps. If you're a good woodsman you can stalk deer pretty easily. Sometimes, if its legal, a group of hunters get together and have deer drives.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The area I hunt are all public land in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. It is pretty heavily wooded with some clearings. I use a climbing stand in the beginning of the year, but try to "walk slow / think hard" towards the end of the season. The main problem is that these same areas are hit hard for grouse before the deer season, and the deer move or go nocturnal by the time the season opens. I guess if it was supposed to be easy it would be called "shopping" instead of "hunting".

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Consider trying to find a trail(s) that deer frequently use and put out some corn - not great big clumps but just scattered about. It may make them want to visit your hunting area more often.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds pretty good, thanks for the tips Rika. I guess if I can't find a deer that is dumber than me, I don't have any choice but to get smarter. At least I know I'm smarter than the trout around here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
or go out and try to find where they usually bed down, then when they go nocturnal you can stalk into the aria and hopefully get a shot.

ps. when you stalk, try either wearing moccasins or several pair of thick socks ( it will dampen the sound of your walking)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts