Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, there was the time I had a round fail to ignite in a revolver. I was good; I waited about 15 or 20 seconds with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction; and, when nothing happened, I holstered the gun to (momentarily) take care of something else. Yup, you guessed it - about 30 seconds later - BOOM! Right in the holster and straight down the outside of my leg into the concrete floor!

When I was sixteen, a hunter shooting at a peasant (?) caught me along the right side of the head with part of the shot charge. (Maybe, this explains, 'Why' I'm the way I am!) When I was in my late twenties, two young hunters with shotguns swung on a bird (pheasant, this time) and ended up pointing their shotguns straight at me. I didn't wait for, 'the jury to return' I dove, headfirst, into a mud puddle as both shot charges passed over my head; and that bird actually landed into the puddle with me!

I was soaked; the bird's wings were splashing my face; and I, suddenly, realized that one of these young men was covering me with his shotgun. They picked up the bird and walked away, laughing, while remarking to each other in Spanish (Which I speak) about watching me and keeping me covered. (This is the only time in my life that I can, ever, remember, 'praying' for buckshot - true!)

Then there was the time I caught it along the side of my ankle by another shooter who was standing next to me and had an AD. It left a crease in my skin that showed bone, but didn't stop me from walking. It did, however, ruin an otherwise perfectly good relationship.

Next, about 3 years ago, I took an old Sako out of storage and brought it to the range to sight in. I cleaned the barrel before shooting; but when I closed the bolt the rifle slam fired! (Not supposed to happen with a Sako - right!) I was really shaken up by this; fortunately I had the muzzle pointed (more or less) straight down range. What I discovered is that accumulated grease had hardened on the trigger mechanism and caused this rifle to fire when the bolt closed.

Finally, a recent incident that happened only about 18 months, ago: I was over a friend's house for dinner; and, afterwards, we retired to his basement workshop to look at some of his new guns. After going through several different, 'battle rifles' he, suddenly, pulled out a newly acquired Glock Model 19. He has arthritis in his hands; and I watched this pistol shake as he raised it towards me. When I recognized that he was going to point the muzzle at my face I leaned to the side and brought my left hand up under his arm - pushing the muzzle away from my head.

His expression, suddenly, changed to one of anger. I wrapped my hand around his wrist as he loudly proclaimed; 'What's the matter with you?' 'I never keep my guns loaded!' Now, I had the, 'gut feeling' that he was going to pull the trigger to prove his point; and, acting on instinct, I twisted the pistol out of his arthritic grasp.

He was furious; and, when I racked the slide, a 115grn. FMJ (That might have ended up in my head.) rattled across the bench top! You know what he did? He briefly looked down at the floor, slightly shook his head, and said; 'How embarrassing!' Needless to say, after almost 4 years of shooting together, we're not friends - anymore. (Never liked the way he cooked, anyway.)

I handle Glock pistols around the house all the time. Nothing has, ever, happened; but I have, now, had enough time and experience with Glocks to get to know and understand this pistol design very well. Glock makes a great combat handgun - a pure combat handgun! I'm very glad that I have the habit of not carrying with the chamber loaded - in spite of the many criticisms I've taken from other gunmen who think I'm a sissy.

OK, whatever, but I've got 51 years' experience with firearms, two gunshot wounds to brag about, and an, otherwise, impeccable personal safety record with potentially dangerous objects that I handle over and over, again, everyday of my life. Laugh at me and criticize all you want; but, unless I'm in the South Bronx at 2:00am, my Glock's chamber is going to stay empty; and I'll continue to use my two handed draw.

We should, all, remember the first three rules:

(1) THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!

(2) NEVER ALLOW THE MUZZLE TO POINT AT ANYTHING YOU AREN'T WILLING TO SEE DESTROYED!

(3) NEVER PLACE YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU'RE READY TO SHOOT! ;)

· Registered
187 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, Wheelgunner; all I can say is, If I wanted to meet anymore of these gun-totting yahoos all I have to do is start hunting, again, on state gamelands. They're there! I'm sure there are dozens more of these guys, just, waiting for someone: well-dressed, good-looking, and intelligent (like me) to come walking by. :D

Just because someone owns a gun doesn't mean that he's got the, 'smarts' to go along with the responsibility. In case you haven't noticed, yet, most people aren't, really, like fine wine; they don't tend to improve with age. Too many people seem to be more like vinegar; and for them life isn't about becoming wiser or more mellow with age; instead, it's more like, becoming, even, more rancid! (Which is, 'Why' many of us carry guns in the first place - right!)

I'll grant you that a few good men DO tend to, 'improve' with age and maturity; but, in my experience, the problem is you have to start out this way in order to make any real progress. I'm sad to say that I've got 60 years which prove that for too many people; 'This, just, ain't so!'

Sorry, hope I didn't break your balloon. ;)

Regards,

'AA'

PS: Note signature line!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.