Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people will tell me that we have already discussed his too the fullest extent, but I disagree, and no one reads that thread anymore, i bet.
I was told that if you shattered the stock on an AK-47 the recoil buffers would have nowhere to press back onto and if you were aiming with the rifle the rod would probably ruin your day. It would help if I had a real -47 to look at, but I don't have the luxury so im going to have to stick with words and pictures.
Even if the stock was shattered , not broken, the rod/spring would still have something to back onto, right? Even if it did only fire the first round, no more would come out or the muzzle even if you had the safety off and in the full auto posi, with a full mag once you fired that first shot, even if all the recoil bits and pieces were still inside the rifle (which is what one of my character is counting on). There would most likely be a crcking noise, am I right?, with a gunshot sound far louder than normal because it can go through the cracks in the stock. I really need it in cavemans talk because i'm trying to thread it into something that is already complicated enough for my likes.

please help, tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just took a glance at this picture, the Chinese version of the -47.
Not much breakable stock, is there? Or i there more than the ee can see? Attatched image

Attachments

U

·
0 Posts
Breaking the stock off of an AK-47 would leave you with a shorter weapon. It would be a little harder to fire accuratley with but would not alter the way the weapon operates. The recoil spring/buffer is contained in the part of the rifle that is circled.

Bob Schmelz

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying!
Now if that little metal bit at the end was damaged, i.e. crushed in, would it render the rifle incapable to fire? and do you know how much force this would take?

U

·
0 Posts
It might, I say might, still be able to fire

the round that was already in the chamber, but probably not cycle another round up from the magazine

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So one bullet might be able to fire? hmmmmmmmmmmm. . .

And my book is about the Cuban Missile Crisis. No more info.

So if the spring stuff was all jammed back once the bullet fired, the spring not pushing forward again would not lift up the next bullet from the magizine?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The bolt might not be free to move

rearward far enough to let the mag spring shove a round up in front of the bolt, If that were true, tnen no, the next round would not get chambered. Depending upon what was broken-dented and where, the bolt might not move rearward much at all, or might no longer have any spring tension behind it. If that were so, then the bolt wouldn't move forward again, wouldn't strip the next round out of the top of the mag. Understand?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, I think it would be safe to assume that you had a single shot rifle, then a club after shooting that last round. But it does depend on the extent of the damage. "Crushed in" implies severe damage, so I think that means the gun is no longer functional beyond what is mentioned about a single shot.

I would think that whatever caused that amount of severe damage may have thrown the sites off of impact, so even expecting much out of that single shot remaining would be overly optimistic.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Audie fought a big chunk of WW2 with

a broken stock on his .30 Carbine. He just wrapped it with wet rawhide, and soldiered-on, until he could replace the stock. Now there was a real man, even tho he was only 19 years of age.

T

·
0 Posts
In nam, many aks in friendly hands {and others} were used without dust covers, and if the recoil assembly were lost or damaged, you simply jammed a block behind the carrier and let the gas bleed out through the vent holes. Using this system, if the carrier felt stuck, you just bent the receiver out to allow hand charging. admittedly tougher with a milled receiver but all that crap in the back is just guides for bolt function in the real world. Be thankful every day that that's where you are

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
using an AK is a good way to get blown

up by your own guys. The AK's sound is quite disquinshable from that of the M16, especially on full-auto. I've also heard that the guys would sometimes "spike" supplies of AK ammo with rounds that would take your head off if you fired them.

T

·
0 Posts
Good thinking andy, wouldn't want to shoot a gun to save your life because it may have a hot reload in it. Probably shouldn't have laid in that brush either, maybe a creepy crawler would get me. Should have just stood there and took it like a man. Do you take it like a man, andy? Maybe you'll have some sage advice for the troops coming back from Iraq, "You shouldn't have gone there, you could have been killed."

U

·
0 Posts
so what happened to your M16,

dummy? Ak's are pos's, always were, always will be. Built by and for ignorant peasants, as being SLIGHTLY more effective than a spear.

T

·
0 Posts
I knew it wouldn't take long, now andy/223 fan is hiding behind the unregistered guest title. Come on , keep trying andy, I'm sure the guys on this board will let you know if you ever get something right. Instead of clogging up the forum with all your weirdness, pay attention to these guys. Your intelligence will allow you to digest and implement the ideas that you find relevant. Most boards would have thrown you off long ago. This is not a forum for preaching to others, you throw a paragraph or two out there on subjects that interest you and people will take it for what it's worth. It seems like this place is a big part of your life, have you ever tried enjoying yourself?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rat, I'm sure that andy 223 enjoys himself a lot if you know what I mean. Come on man, you ask any combat vet, and I mean a combat vet of the Nam era and they will tell you that the AK-47 was and still is one damn good combat weapon. Bury that thing in sand mud dirt anything you like and it will still function. Better than any M-16 style out there. Oah and andy please tell us of any combat experiance that you have. Any crack shot can go out there and win a few IDPA matches. I'll take advice from a Silver Star than from a guy who has won a few shooting matches. It is pritty damn easy to hit what you are shooting at when you know that it is not going to shoot back.

Nick

T

·
0 Posts
And along with the increased dependability, you had the advantage of confusing charley, because now he didn't know if that ak fire was friendly, to him, or not. After you've seen the effect of any ammo on a human target, all discussions about ballistics go out the window. Are some better than others, sure, but the one you have sure beats the hell out of the one you wish you had. The key is to remain as calm as possible, under any pressure, to allow yourself steadier aim and clearer decision making. Anybody out there you know that doesn't sound like they could do that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rat, the things that you talk about reminds me of a friend of mine that died in dec 03. He was in the 101st in 1970. He was stationed on firbase Ripcord. There was a book wrote about ripcord and he was mentioned in it. He received 2 bronze stars for his actions there. I never did ask him much about nam but when he talked about it I LISTENED. I only hope that if I end up in Iraq that I will remember what he had told me.

Nick

T

·
0 Posts
Buc, if your friend should have told you about anything, it was a phenomenon known as the thousand yard stare. Lots of guys who made it back were very recognizable because of the "faraway" look in their eyes. For many, it was the reason they made it back. Its like driving, where they tell you to look as far ahead as possible. If it only saves your life once, by keeping you from walking into problems, it was worth it. I know the door kickers in Iraq have a whole different set of problems, and I don't envy them. The instinct of self preservation is the intangible factor that comes into play after the training is done and reality gets dropped in your lap. Be all that you can be, I say, be more than you can be, and in the words of George Patton, or his scriptwriter," you don't win wars by dying for your country, you win wars by making the other son of a bitch die for his country"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts