Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just bought me a Buck 119, and I'm wondering about its handle. It's got the typical Buck black handle with the silver pommel & guard; I haven't used it yet for anything real, but it seems the grip would be slick as can be, once it got water or blood on it.

Could be I'm spoiled, as my only other sheath knives are Cold Steel and Spec Plus and have rubber or kraton handles.

Does this Buck handle material get as slick as it seems it would, and what's the cure if so? (I'm even considering some large heat-shrink tubing shrunk down over the grip area, if nothing else.)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Hard Rock made this comment re: a pistol grip: "I have lined my grips with skateboard tape to prevent the gun from sliding out of my hands if I am wearing gloves or if I get sweaty or bloody."

Perhaps it would work for a knife too and not be so bulky.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
This is just me thinking out loud...

It may be possible to take a file or a dremel and cut some grooves in the grip to make it less slippery.

Perhaps you could even do some sort of checkering on it.

I have never tried this, just theorizing it might be a solution. But it could also be a non-problem too.

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Just an observation. The 119's handle is made of phenolic - a plastic. I would be afraid of it chipping out. Perhaps a call to Buck headquarters could shed some light.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Only a guess, I have not handled a Buck knife in some years, but I would think if it got that slippery when wet they would have changed the material.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts