Arms Locker banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm starting to think that it isn't Cabela's items that suck, but Cabela's in general that is just plain lousy. I wanted a decent, portable, electric meat grinder even if it was slightly over-priced in my opinion (like most of Cabela's stuff. I ordered one from Cabela's since I need it immediately and thought I'd get one that would last. It was supposed to do a couple of pounds of meat per minute and be made mostly of metal. Well, the tray, etc., was made of metal, but the gears were plastic. Not only that, but the grinding part connected to the plastic gears with a little quarter turn in a way that made the whole contraption fall apart in two pieces when you pushed down on the meat to force it through the grinder - if you were right handed.

You ask: "Why were you forcing it down so hard?" Well, Timmy, that's because it wouldn't grind anything, even on the larger chili meat setting, without considerable force. After about 40 minutes, I ended up with a right arm suffering from too much lactic acid build-up and less than 4lbs of ground meat. I can grind it by hand with less muscle stress and hassle faster than that! It was horrible! Down-right disgusting! The thing would bind up almost immediately on deer and pork requiring that it be completely stripped down and all of the meat removed every 10-15 seconds if you wanted to grind ANYTHING more in it! Heck, I even went to the store, bought some already ground beef, and put it through the machine as a "test." It would grind for like 30 seconds before it bogged down with even the pre-ground meat. Disgusting!

I eventually got Cabela's to take it back on their dime. It was a hassle, but they did take it back and refund me the purchase price. I did NOT get a refund of the shipping charges, so I'm out $16 bucks on a useless piece of crap from Cabela's that I don't even have any longer. It's only $16, but I am still pissed over it. I wrote Cabela's after I found out that they didn't refund shipping charges, but they were too chicken to even reply. Needless to say, I have since informed them that I will NEVER be a customer of theirs again. Period.

I strongly encourage everyone to look into other companies with better customer service than Cabela's for future business. I know I will continue to do business with the companies that have treated me fairly in the past and leave Cabela's to the trash heap!

KJ

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Where did the label say it was made? Taiwan? Like most of the crap we get these days?

I think that may be the root of the problem for American businesses.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really didn't look to check. It was a piece of junk no matter where it was made, but when I did get it, my first thought was ironically "this look just likes something made cheaply in China or Taiwan...just like that broken shooting rest Rich had problems with." I assumed it was made in some place like Taiwan, but I don't know for sure.

Cabela's lack of care in that they were sending out crap thinking that I, as the customer, would just have to keep it or lose shipping charges if I didn't keep it (as a penalty for not keeping any old junk they sent me), is what has me so pissed.

They've got their last cent from me, that I promise.
KJ

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
deer meat is typically full of gristle. 20 years ago, I poached a big old doe. We had an OLD TIMEY, hand-cranked all metal-sausage grinder, and it wouldn't TOUCH any part of that deer. You are probably going to spend about $400 for a new one that can really cut it. You will have to contact some meat-locker that deals in venison, and see what model they use. Deer meat aint good for much besides adding to pork sausage, as a sort of "hamburger-helper. To eat it most venison by itself, you have to first boil the crap out of it, then stew it overnight.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
HUH? make a running neck shot on a spotted fawn with your belt gun,
while toolin' down your favorite 'meat-road' some june/july

one can cut that meat with a fork, after pan frying!

you really need to get out more,ol'boy[mister160] :laugh01:

:wavey:

·
Registered
19 Posts
andy said:
deer meat is typically full of gristle. 20 years ago, I poached a big old doe. We had an OLD TIMEY, hand-cranked all metal-sausage grinder, and it wouldn't TOUCH any part of that deer. You are probably going to spend about $400 for a new one that can really cut it. You will have to contact some meat-locker that deals in venison, and see what model they use. Deer meat aint good for much besides adding to pork sausage, as a sort of "hamburger-helper. To eat it most venison by itself, you have to first boil the crap out of it, then stew it overnight.
Andy if your venison is that tough then you're doing allot wrong with it!!
Mostly processing it wrong (not cleaning it well enough, that means removing the silver skin...) and you're surely not cooking it right!!!
My wife can take a neck, debone it, roll it, tie it up and when it hits the table all you need is a fork to pull the meat apart. NO KNIFE REQUIRED, unless you want to put some butter on a piece of bread.

The average deer has less than 2% body fat (read that some where) and surely see that everytime I skin one out... very little fat at all. We debone the meat before it even hits the house, right off the carcass as it hangs. Then take it inside and clean it up (removing silver skin etc...). Vacuum seal that with a Food Saver and it'll last 1.5-2 years in the freezer.

Hunter

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
HUNTER! you have a very good system, your name suits you well[i'm thinking]

that silver 'membrane' and the removal of it makes a world of difference
in your cut of meat[not to mention, cutting 'chew' time in half]

but that requires 'work', although, a enjoyable task for most!

"andy" does not possess the DISCIPLINE!

i would gladly pay $20 on a losing bet, and be proven WRONG![never happen]

thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.