Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one hunk of woods is like any other. Being shot at by, or noticing a backpacker, is no reason to return or hang around, much, if at all. A CABIN, tho, or any signs of somebody TRYING to protect a place, now THAT'S worth investigating, at length and in depth. :) Roads blocked on purpose, mantraps, noisy dogs, etc, all just BEG a group of looters to spread out and check you out for days, figure out best how to pick you off, with minimal risk to themselves. Meanwhile, there you sit, fat, lazy and smug, THINKING you can cover all the bases, without 20 active,motivated, healthy, properly geared up adults ( who have NO dependents to hamper them) Ha Ha.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
small,scattered, shallow caches, quick to dig up, bury

again, are best. Take too long at any one place, or leave too much gear there, either the cache or you will be history, in short order. 200 million active adults, or teenagers, scattered over 5 million square miles. 40 per square mile. In other words, SOMEBODY can see or hear you almost all the time, in daylight especially.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
640 acres to the square mile. An acre is 220 ft x 220 ft (approx) 640 divided by 40 is one person every 6 acres. So you'll be within easy reach of a shorty 223, nearly all the time, for quite a while and in most places. So to "think" that a guy AINT going to be able to quietly .22 a LOT of people for their gear is just to admit that you are ignorant of the FACTS.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Perhaps what needs to be explained what overnight, instantaneous event will both cause this fantasy WORLDWIDE fall back to the stone age, AND instantly teleport the entire population so that it's evenly distributed over the land mass.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Magnum dreams like gunkids can't be explained. That would ruin the dream with facts. My wife hates it when I show her the flaws in the movies. Kind of like that.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
So to "think" that a guy AINT going to be able to quietly .22 a LOT of people for their gear is just to admit that you are ignorant of the FACTS.
And when they pop YOU with a .22 for your 'gear', what will they get? A Hollywood anti-chipmunk rifle with too short of a barrel and a dead body that might make for a day or two worth of rations for the sled dogs.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
720 Posts
Someone who has a plan, would also have planned for the contingency of "groups of looters". It is amazing how a band of renegades can be neutralized one-by-one, until the odds get pleasantly even.
That cabin that begs to be investigated is just a carrot on a stick at the end of a funneling killing lane. Strategy, tactics and maneuver will ultimately end any fantasy invented by those who "think" they know that of which they write, and exhibit such self-correcting hubris.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I don't think puppy punchers got training in such things as kill zones or how to run ambushes, SatCong.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Magnum
That is glaringly obvious to anyone but those who have not had such training. It is amazing how individuals paint the target on their own foreheads with such ignorance, and unwillingness to correct their short sighted pronouncements.
Thanks,
SatCong

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I'd like to see him sneak up on somebody on the bald ass prairie. He has no knowledge in the proper use of dead ground and if you have choosen your location properly you'll be able to see him in excess of 5 miles away.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
So give us a description of what you store in your caches???

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
640 acres to the square mile. An acre is 220 ft x 220 ft (approx) 640 divided by 40 is one person every 6 acres. So you'll be within easy reach of a shorty 223, nearly all the time, for quite a while and in most places. So to "think" that a guy AINT going to be able to quietly .22 a LOT of people for their gear is just to admit that you are ignorant of the FACTS.
So which is it, shorty .223 or .22 unit?

btw, if they’re in range, so are you. What makes you think you’re the only quiet guy?
trees and terrain mess up your math, but I realize that without experience to build on, all you have is fantasy.

you have no idea of what the facts are. You’d be far better off staying silent than posting this nonsense.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Again Melvin, what do you store in your currently established caches?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
...What makes you think you’re the only quiet guy?...
Stealthiness in the woods is another of the many things that I had to begrudgingly accept about myself. I spend a lot of time in the woods and used to spend a LOT of time in the woods, but I'm absolutely not indian- or ninja-quiet in the woods. I never developed that skill, but accepting that reality has at least made me open to other solutions. Mainly, 'don't move' if I need to be silent, since I simply can't move silently. I've developed very good patience, and that's my way of compensating for my lack of ninja stealth.

All that said, as much experience as I have in the woods (since the late 1960's), I know for a fact that there are guys - and probably a lot of guys - who can sneak up on me out there long before I can sneak up on them. "A man's got to know his limitations", as Harry Callahan said.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I used to hunt with a guy that was scary quiet. He could walk through a dry leaf and twig covered area without making any noise. I sounded like an elephant destroying a glass factory. He was the first person I knew that was ninja like. Another I knew could almost disappear while you were looking right at him.

both were ruthless hunters.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Melvin sure didn't pick up any real training in the Army. He doesn't know map reading, use of a compass, or any other field craft. He refers to the M-72 Light Anti-tank Weapon as a "LAWS" rocket. Picked up no doubt from some movie that got it wrong.

·
Registered
990 Posts
When I used to be younger yes I was damn silent. But with nerve damage and joint damage nope no how no one way now.

When younger one of my favorite things to practice stealth was sneaking up on and goosing one of the half wild cats my mother used to feed; out in the yard.
Funny watching one leaping a couple of feet into the air try to do a Taz-manian Devil Tornado impersonation vertically. Then take off like Speedy Gonzales when it touches the ground.😁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts