Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the late 90's, I attended an Officer's survival course where real life Officers described there shooting histories in gunfights. The one that sticks in my mind, is a DEA Officer's description of a a drug bust gone wrong. Agent # 1 was transacting the deal with BG #1, when Agent #2 showed his face at the window of the ground floor apartment. BG#1 drew a .357 revolver, (make not stated) and fired a shot at Agent #2. He missed, and Agent #1 drew his .45 Colt and fired three shots into BG #1. BG#1 ones two friends ran into the room and started shooting. BG #2 missed with three rounds of 9MM, but BG #3 hit Agent #1 with a round of from his Star .45, in the right thigh. Agent #1 stated "it felt like my leg was blown off." His back up had kicked in the door at the first shot and then shot BG#2 and BG#3 with two rounds each from a Beretta 92FS with 124 Grain Hydra-Shoks. Agent #1 stated "They were dead before they hit the floor." So what does this story tell us? Agent #1 later said "the light went out of his eyes after the first shot, but he still turned on me so I shot again." What I think is have a proper weapon, but shooting skills, whether they be with .45, 9MM, .357, or .380 are more important than caliber. I really don't care about .460 Rowlands and split nose bullets. What I care about is staying alive. And Beretta 9's, Taurus 9's, Glock and Colt .45's will keep you that way.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Shot Placement counts!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Sounds like Agent #1 picked the right guy for backup. Things could have gone real sour if he hadn't quickly taken out the two bad guys.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Terry, those results seem to back up what David DiFabio's said on his website (paraphrased), "There is NO significant difference in performance between defense ammo loaded for 9mm, .357, .357 SIG, 10mm, .45 and .40. Carry the weapon you shoot the best in one of these calibers."

With .380, .38 special and lower calibers, you often find bullets that expand well but do not penetrate, and those that offer no expansion but penetrate well, which is why he does not recommend them for primary carry.

Speaking of calibers and real world performance, I came across this page while hunting up some info on the constructing of a Fackler Box. Notice how the author seems to find that gelatin, water, and wet-packed newspaper seem to yield similar results to bullets recovered from animals, unlike what a certain trick bullet-promoting goober says.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Expansion and Penetration.htm

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Very interesting site, thanks Wylycote!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
how many animals has he shot, with how many different loads and bullets, hmm? Anybody can make claims.

The story is bs. "the light went out of his eyes", Yeah, right, you are so close that you can see THAT, and you WAIT after your first shot, and THEN he turns towards you, and THEN you fire some more, right? Bs.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a training film in the National Archives. He was three to four feet away from BG#1. Why would he lie? It's not BS, it was documented by sworn Officers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts