Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a person can not help but notice a heavy...very heavy inflection of a suppressed .22 rimfire after reading posts on this forum.

so i got to wondering about a field expediant 'can' and in the dark recesses
of an 'evil twins' minds eye i concluded, that the parts/matiral could be scrounged in 15to 20 minutes, from almost any garage/shop/shed in america.

a spray can[carb/brake cleaner] with the top center drilled out[speed-bore paddle bits would work,a length of 3/4" p.v.c. piping [i'm thinking about2" longer than the O.A.L. of the spray can] with a 1001 holes drilled in the middle 2/3rds[1/8ths] by scribeing the center of the spray cans bottom the O.D of the p.v.c then drilling the scribed center out with a paddle bit[smaller than the pipe O.D.] then you have the expantion sleeve .

next [i think], some steel wool baffling shredded/tootise rolled into the can

[ i think] the hard part would be inserting the 1001 holed p.v.c thru the wool baffling, so upon reflecting this thought, [i think] a couple of welding rods/knitting needles/pencils from each end would work to wallow out the baffling from the center,
then insert the 1001 p.v.c holed pipe thru it and run some sheet metal screws, thru the bottom of the can on the out-side of the p.v.c[centering it]
i'm thinking 4 would do the job, the shorter the better,cuz'[ i'm thinking] the longer ones would catch and ball up the steel wool baffling.

now the bottom 1/3 of another spray can [cut off like a cup] cut down half-way from top to bottom,fold out like a flower,and sit the bottom /end of 'can' on top ,then fold up petals and DUCT TAPE tightly,both ends [i'm thinking the first sub-sonic round will make exit-end of the fierce/dreaded 'CAN' ]

now, attachment to muzzle, [i'm thinking] a 3/4 coupler,fitted to the 2" extending out the top of the fierce/dreaded 'CAN'

the .22 should be any thing but a wheel-gun[the fat barrel on my scoped .22 single shot pistol should work,[i'm thinking]

since it's missing a front sight[removed] the tap hole is about the same size as a roll of coiled soldering wire[i'm thinking] a slight bend/hook, then tight concentric loops/wraps till p.v.c. coupler is tight[i'm thinking,mind you]

when the 'fit' of the 'hard-banded'[ha! theres an oxy-moron for you] barrel is tight to the coupler, tape tightly as needed, the object being to trap/cool the hot expanding gasses used to launch projo .[i'm thinking]

now ,in the dark recesses of my evil-twins minds eye[i'm thinking out loud now, mind you!] the sound signature/report should be about as loud as a QUALITY made air-rifle[not chi-com crap!] [i'm thinking] :dgrin:

the moral of my "THINKING OUT LOUD" is that the 'can' is rendered passe/kaput/renderd common to one and all, now i've never read a book/searched a web-site, just 'THOUGHT IT UP' as to the construction of a fierce/dreaded 'CAN' :punch:

this posting for informational purposes only[i'm thinking]

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I am anxiously awaiting comment on this thread. The thought of the can flying 20yds downrange on the first shot comes to mind unless it was well aligned.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[i'm thinking] even a person with TWO right hands could construct a 'CAN'

that wouldn't fly 20yds.[i'm thinkin']

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've made and sold over 100 my way, and Paladin has sold over 150,000 books about doing it my way. 1"x5" suppresses a handgun just fine, "wet", 6" does so dry. For the Rifle, you have to add another inche of can, for the same degee of effectiveness, and of course you also have to use subsonic ammo in the rifle.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
With PVC, and without a lathe or a welder, you are stuck with a smaller OD tube, so you have to make it 8" long for the pistol, and 9" long with the rifle, in order to have a service life of a few score rds. Steel wool burns out in 1 shot. It's worthless as silencer-baffling. Aluminum screen wire works fine for the front half of the can's baffling, but it can't take the heat of the rear half of the can. You need bronze screenwire for the rear half of the can. The lame sort of "mounting" you are talking about isn't worth the hassle.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DUDE..[i'm thinking] it's already killed [3] coyotes, as the sans pouder rounds just bounce off their heads . the design works.[i'm thinking]

the mounting system[malleable solder, wicth can be molded!/hammmerd]

was a great thought[i'm thinking] .......have a great TURKEY DAY...ya'turkey

the intent of the thread, was for you to 'BITE' ..consider your self banked/gutted

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
nobody gives a crap what an asshole like you claims or "thinks", punk. I just posted to show how EASY it is to show you up as the know-nothing that you are.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bawling: i guess this means i'm off your good-will christmas wishes list

[dammit] what kinda heat do you think is generated by a .22sub-sonic round,travlling 'freebore' thru 10" of 3/4 p.v.c. ol'boy[mister160]

forget the baffling the sound signature is severly curtailed/stomped-on

[i'm thinkin']

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
brass hammer said:
:bawling: i guess this means i'm off your good-will christmas wishes list

[dammit] what kinda heat do you think is generated by a .22sub-sonic round,travlling 'freebore' thru 10" of 3/4 p.v.c. ol'boy[mister160]

forget the baffling the sound signature is severly curtailed/stomped-on

[i'm thinkin']
This was posted on another board about a fella at the range shooting a Ruger MK2 with a 10in piece of PVC attached to the barrel and with an end cap with a hole in it. The guy was shooting regular high speeds and the sound was very much muffled - to the point that you didn't need ear muffs and the shot didn't sound like a shot from a few feet away. The man took off the PCV tubing and stomped on it when he was informed that the BATF might consider it to be a silencer even though it didn't have any guts. Somebody else said that such things are called "bloop tubes".

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
This was posted on another board about a fella at the range shooting a Ruger MK2 with a 10in piece of PVC attached to the barrel and with an end cap with a hole in it. The guy was shooting regular high speeds and the sound was very much muffled - to the point that you didn't need ear muffs and the shot didn't sound like a shot from a few feet away. The man took off the PCV tubing and stomped on it when he was informed that the BATF might consider it to be a silencer even though it didn't have any guts. Somebody else said that such things are called "bloop tubes".

RIKA
RIKA, a bloop tube is a tube affixed to the end of a target rifle barrel to give the maximum legal distance between the sights for metallic sight target shooting. Just an extension tube, on the end of the barrel, for the front sight to be mounted on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts