Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this pinfire revolver does anyone know what it is and what it's worth, on the blade it has "Brevete S.D.G.D." but no other markings gun.jpg

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Looks like it might be French or Belgian. I have similar ones priced from $100 to around $600 depending on condition and whatever tall tale the seller can spin about its history. Some people buy them for wallhangers and a few folks collect them. Sorry for being vague but tens of thousands were made in Europe during the last century.

RIKA

·
Registered
114 Posts
The first Swiss Army knife, perhaps? :D :D :D

All kidding aside, I agree with Rika. Probably French of Belgian. There were more variations of this kind of thing made by little independent gun makers over there than ants at a picnic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
May be Italian but can't be sure. Is that a folding knife blade underneath the ejector?

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil."--Douglas Patton
I would rather be right & truthful than politically correct.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yes, that is a folding knife blade. What I have always wondered is what is the benefit of such a design other than having a pocket knife and a pistol in one handy package. For all the jokes and even impassioned defenses of a "pistol bayonet" that I have heard, I still fail to see where such a thing would be of much additional benefit as a defense weapon. It might make more sense to me if it was set up as a spring knife or gravity knife that extended straight out of the housing. At least then there would be the justification of having a backup blade weapon immediately at hand if the pistol ran out of bullets or failed to fire. That design seems to be a simple, manual folder.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
dammit!!,LITTLE-SISTER.
as,YOU stole my thunder/shot my riggin' OUT!!!

ONCE-AGAIN!!!
[jolly-good show/as I'M pretty sure you NAILED-IT-DEAD]:D

G

·
0 Posts
A very nice person was helping me, but Im concerned that the thread was lost over time.

I copied all of our Joomla files and put them in a subfolder on the same site and now when I try to log onto the original site I get this error:

This site is temporarily unavailable.
Please notify the System Administrator 2

I reconfigured the subfolders configuration.php, but now I cant log into our phpadmin to create a new database I get this error:

Error
#1045 - Access denied for user al-jadidlocalhost using password: YES

Is this something I can fix? Can our host fix it? Did I trigger something by copying the files?

Thank you for your much needed help.

Oh, our host doesnt have a cpanel

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, that is a folding knife blade. What I have always wondered is what is the benefit of such a design other than having a pocket knife and a pistol in one handy package.
Cutter, I suspect that the appeal of the blade originally came about as a secondary weapon from earlier eras of more limited shots, unreliable ignition, and etc. Early wheel lock and snaphaunce pistols incorporated a decorative ball on the butt that was intended to be used as a bludgeon once the pistol was discharged. Various combinations of swords and firearms also exist. While, by the pinfire era, it was probably more of a nifty afterthought than a practicality, the idea hung on. Late 19th Century breaktops also incorporated a small bayonettes (Harrington and Richardson made one as I recall) and most recently, CZ has marketed a bayonette for the CZ 75 SP that mounts on a 1913 (Picatinny) rail.

Old ideas seem to long live their usefulness and I will give you a sterling image. If you recall old B westerns, especially from the 20's, 30's, and 40's, it often appears that the bullets are being thrown downrange followed by an exaggerated recoil recovery. I have always suspected this came from the cap and ball technique in which a revolver was noticeably "flipped" back, muzzle up, to ensure that remnants of percussion caps did not bind the action.

Sorry for the dissertation :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Not at all. I am always eager to aquire new information. The secondary weapon idea is a laudable one with which I can easily agree. My point was that the typical folder doesn't seem to be the best option. If it were configured as a switchblade or some sort of blade that could at least be locked into place when opened, it would make a much more reliable backup weapon.

Then again, I have never researched when switchblade tech. came into being. I only know that switchblade pen knives were popular with ladyfolk for use in their sewing kits to protect their fingernails from breakage. Of course we are talking here of "women of quality" rather than the average, 19th century frontierswoman or housewife.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with arebindixie that the blade is a carry over from the days of the sword. This knife blade might also have another more sinister use though. It would make a good way of dispatching ones enemies quietly if possible without the use of making ones self known by a shot. Either way military men were enamored with long and phallic bayonets well past the second world war.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts