Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If / when SHIFT happens you COULD be face with this problem.

ok in this picture one snake is potentially deadly cottonmouth or "water moccasin" the other a harmless water snake. can you tell the difference?
say one just bit you, what is the treatment. for cottonmouth, antivenin, water snake Neosporin (if you even need that).

lets say the one on the left is snake- A
and the one on the right is snake- B

please post witch one you believe to be poinsonous. and also how you can tell.

thanks

PS. im sure many will get this right, but I think a few will be suprised.

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/showfilepage/3053?offset=126

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Okay. Snake B on the right is the Cottonmouth. Shape of head with the band on its face. Also the bands on its body.

Now can I have him for dinner? Just kidding. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
From what I've heard,cottonmouth bites may not need antivenin.They will probably cause swelling,pain,& discomfort.Allergic reactions,however,need treatment fast.Epie(sp?)pen might prove handy here.

Water snake bite?Hop a little,curse a few times,& if you want,antibiotic ointment w/bandadge.

Telling 'em apart?Well,if when you pic it up it bites,sprays crap at you,musks up & hisses at you,it's the water snake.If it just hisses & bites,well,that's the cottonmouth.
:smokin:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
my reply is a blast down the middle

the one on the right sure looks more adept as being a water snake,

i say #A IS THE UNFRIENDLY! :nyah:

THANKS. [i'd like a better look at the head of#b, but i say #a]

[[my girlfriend says, that it is #b she lived with the gator poppers in florida as a girl 5 to 13 years of age,then moved back to upstate new york, ha! ,go figure, on that one]]

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I kill moccasins all the time in the summer. Copperheads are far more likey to bite you. Nice thing is, Copperheads are not real real poisionus.

I would think a water snake does not have two rather long fangs like a moccasin. That might be a tip off of what bit you.

Knowing stup*kid he would use scalding water on the snakebite!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cottonmouth or Agkistrodon Piscivorus have a normal venom yield of 100- 150 mg of hemotoxin, the lethal dose is 100 mg. so I believe the hospital would at least prep so antivenin if not immediately administer.

The copperhead (witch by the way is among my favorite snakes) has a venom yield of 40- 70 mg of hemotixin agent the lethal dose is 100mg.

ps. it is snake B, Raider was right, Raider I also look for the band under the eye when I first see a snake that resembles a cottonmouth, just to be sure. My rule is any non-identified snake is venomous even if its body look like that of a colubrid

but if there is a sever allergic reaction then you could be in serious trouble.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Well, Gun_Crazy. My friends call me RIKA. Raider is a shared name with a long story.

Now some questions. What is a colubrid (so I won't have to look it up). Also what do we do in the field to counter a severe allergic reaction? Does epinepherine (anaphylactic shock) work like it does for bee stings?

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
From what I have heard, the bacteria infections you get from a cottonmouth bite can be just as nasty as the reaction from the venom.

And yes, I know which one is which. :)

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
my world! my world![wicked witch of the west]

:bawling: well g.c, jr,

you got me there! :headbang:

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
I just kill em all, and not worry about it.
HA! I would think you would leave them alone. Professional courtesy you know.

RIKA :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Snakes

Getting a lethal dose of venom, reacting badly to it, or getting an infection from the bite itself aren't the only things to worry about. The venom itself also can destroy skin and muscle tissue it comes into contact with. I've seen some pretty ugly pictures of damage done by snakebites, even though it wasn't a lethal dose.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A colubrid is a snake family. Most colubrids are non-venomous but some are, like the boomslang. Examples of north American colubrids are racers, rat snakes, king snakes , water snake and may more. As for the medical question, try asking the people on http://www.venomousreptiles.org/forums/Experts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.