Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
A 'can' has it's place but it makes a poor crutch when you are lacking in almost everything else. It does NOT make you Superman. It's also not absolutely indespensible. In other words, they are neat but you can do without it and they sometimes present problems, like if you get caught with the bitch.

A decent slingshot is a serious small game getter, like for quail. They are silent, in expensive, weigh little, can fit into a pocket, and ammo is in endless natural supply. I recommend the folding type that uses surgical tubing.

You need a decent knife - period.

You either get a big knife or you get a small knife, like a good skinner, and a hatchet. I'd recommend all three.

Trying to do things like using a straight razor to skin a deer or a range cow simply won't make the grade.

You might want to take a look at this:

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/

US Air Force 21st Special Tactics Squadron during field tests of gear in Montana called this set, "The most versatile, all-purpose field knife we have ever tested."

It's Knives of Alaska's 'Brown Bear' combo with beefed up military sheath designed for attachment to packs, web gear, and for airborne ops.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rosty, good to see you. for personal carry i have a spyderco civilian, nasy looking thing but the thought of a knife fight is frightening. i believe a bullet would be preferable to a slashing wound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just checked out that alaskan knife site.image a knife fight with an eskomo and he comes at you with one of those ulus.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Just don't forget that you DO NOT want to use your fighting or hunting knives as your eating knife. That often gets overlooked.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
zombo said:
just checked out that alaskan knife site.image a knife fight with an eskomo and he comes at you with one of those ulus.
:) Yeah, that would be different.

'Ulu' is an innuit word meaning "woman's knife", though the men may use one, it could probably also be translated as "knife for woman's work". I have an ulu in the kitchen and they are quite a cool knife.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
did someone imp GK and start this thread??

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
That Knives of Alaska set is neat though I would like to have a few others in my kit also.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
When I go on backpacking trips, I carry four knives; A Kukri for heavy chopping, a Leatherman multitool for miscellaneous tasks and fine whittling, a Russel belt knife for skinning and cleaning game, and a large folder that I picked up for cheap as an eating knife. Also a sharpening stone in the pack and a scalpel in the first aid kit.

A slingshot always has a place in my back pocket, Whatever environment I am in.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Hearing gunkid say that, makes me wonder if his PO called him??

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
yeah I had never seen zombo's posts and saw one last night, so I looked through what he had to say before and found this thread. Because GK is a can fan and has said he doens't like slingshots, that's why I thought he was being imped.

cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts