Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would take the SKS over the carbine. 122 Grain bullet at 2300 FPS as opposed to 110 Grain at 1850? Besides, the SKS's are much longer ranged and cheaper. I bought three Yugoslavian SKS's for $350.00, delivered. After I got through the twenty man-hours of cleaning them, I figure they only cost about $400.00 apiece. My wife especially likes the built in bayonet, as she has been having a problem with being attacked by ground moles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hiya Terry! You're right on the SKS as far as a good "grabbit&go"rifle;what's not to like?Cheap to shoot,usably accurate within the working range,effective and JUST PLAIN FUN :cool: to work out with at the range.Yugos are nice ,but definitely check the gas cutoff for the grenade launcher;it may affect function.And don't forget that the Yugos are not chrome-bored;gotta CLEAN those puppies.Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Did you know those putz's in California banned the Yugo SKS? Seems the end is made to launch a rifle grenade, which, of course, are available at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Didn't they whack off the grenade launcher and remove the bayonet so it would be CA legal?

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
mrostov said:
..... which, of course, are available at the local hardware store.
Hmmm.... now that I think about it.:dgrin:

But sadly no go because I have no more Yugo.

Ok, I'll chime in here if it comes down to what a good M1 Carbine is selling for these days there's also a SAR-1 or other semi-AK types out there.

Though now the more that I think about it another Yugo would be nice. :dgrin:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i got to agree

with you all on this one, the 7.62by 39mm is hands down, the better of the two.

i have both, a 4-44 inland, and a chi-com sks[the sks was machined out to accept ak mag/drums] prior to the A.T. F. 11/90 "ruling", which put a friend of mine right out of business[for obvious reasons]

but personally i really like the made in america m-1 'can popper'

thanks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
it's a tough choice, the 30c and its ammo are a lot lighter and less bulky. The sks and its ammo have the price advantage,a bit of range andpower advantage, sks may be legal some places 30C is not, but I dunno of any. sks, especially with steel cored ammo, has some interesting ability to penetrate pipelines, transformers, water towers.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Raider said:
Didn't they whack off the grenade launcher and remove the bayonet so it would be CA legal?

RIKA
...and in the process, they made it Federally illegal. You can't remove the grenade launcher. There's a bunch of stuff you can't do with the yugo sks.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
84 C4 said:
...and in the process, they made it Federally illegal. You can't remove the grenade launcher. There's a bunch of stuff you can't do with the yugo sks.
Yeah, that whole thing is strange. If I Remove the bayonet, that anti-gun people abhor, I can't sell the Yugoslavian as a C&R, or if I remove the grenade launcher, same thing. I'm fairly new to the C&R thing, but it strikes me as bass-ackwards. Anyway, I removed the bayonets from my Chinese SKS's which was legal as they were bought in the '80's, and it really improved the accuracy. And what are you going to do with a bayonet? Do a drive-by bayoneting? And the grenade launcher? Well, that looks dangerous. When is the last time you ever saw a rifle grenade? I leave my stuff stock, for the most part, but it's pretty much a crazy quilt of laws.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I didn't mean to start a "my gun vs. your gun" thing about the .30C and the SKS. That's why I mentioned the SKS as a "truck gun" or "trunk gun"; it's a VERY good choice for that, IMO.

The reason I own the carbines are those I listed before (got a great deal on them, primarily), plus the fact that they're so small. My kids can carry and shoot the carbines easier than the SKS. The M1 carbines are literally smaller than my 10-22, yet offer 15 semi-auto rounds of .44-magnum-level power, with basically no recoil. With my kids the age they are, that's a plus. Didn't mean that as a slam against the SKS.

I've owned SKS's in the past, and liked them quite a bit. Their caliber is unquestionably "better" than the .30C; that's a given. It's almost identical to a .30-30, basically; slightly lighter bullet, but slightly faster to make up for it. Even now, I own a MAK-90, which shoots the same ammo; wouldn't hesitate to trust it for either defense or deer. Softpoint SKS ammo is also MUCH cheaper than SP .30C ammo, while the ball isn't so disparate. Generally pay around $9.50-$10.99 for 50 rounds of ball; that's $3.80 - $4.39 for 20, so it's not "that" bad for ball ammo. Good ammo, tho, is another story; the .30C is much higher than you can get sp SKS stuff for. As little as I shoot these guns, I keep about 700-800 ball ammo and 200-300 SP/HP on hand. If I shot them a lot, I'd either start reloading for them or switch to the SKS platform.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I have a Yugo SKS, great piece of work it is. I bought three of them ,a nd kept the best of that lot and sold the other two. I may have to get another. The only true disapointment of the SKS family is the inability to use interchangeable mags that are easy in and out. I had a chance years ago to buy some Chinese SKS Paratrooper models, but passed on them. To bad as they took AK (I think it was AK) mags with no alterations to the gun.

Oh well, they are hard to find nowadays, and the Yugos will soon be hard to find as they sell like hotcakes...

Anyone know of anyplace that sells a decent hi capacity mag for them? I recently picked up a 5 round mag for mine, I may take it hunting someday - who knows, but I figure a good 20 or 30 round mag would make it a better trunk gun than its normal 10 rounder.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
maybe not, too. A loaded mag is considered the same thing as aloaded gun,in many legal jurisdictions. a loaded stripper clip, however,is NOT "part of the gun". Also, the internal mag makes the sks legal in some areas where the removable mag makes it legal. 10 rds, without any cover, is a LOT of time spent exposed to enemy fire. If you have cover, you can always stuff in a new stripper clip, rubber band a couple to the buttstock.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
1911sr said:
But if you make the buttstock too bulky, how would you fit it down your pants??

:D

1911sr
Custom garter belt, specifically designed for SHTF with camo lace.

:cool:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
1911sr said:
But if you make the buttstock too bulky, how would you fit it down your pants??

:D

1911sr
I guess him not having anything to compete for space in his pants. . .

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
The Rubber Band

was the real 'screecher' for me ..... :roflmao1:

truly, the rationel thought process of a 13 year, ol' boy !

[although,dummie cordin' and breakaways, are a GIVIN']

thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts