Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help figuring out a concealed carry method (I have a CCW) for a model 1911 or Glock in .45 ACP. Problems are these: I'm short (5'6") and where I live (South Texas) you can't wear a jacket most of the year. So, I'm pretty much stuck with wearing a shirt outside my pants and the gun in: a bellyband, inside the waistband, outside the waistband (if I can find a rig that doesn't "print" through my shirt), or in a pocket holster in a pair of Blackie Collins jeans. Considering my situation, anybody know what's the best method?

·
Registered
391 Posts
uncle mike makes a CCW fanny pack

·
Registered
296 Posts
personal preferance is a SOB carry. some are unconftable with that though.
other personal choice is a ISWB holster (only grip sticks out)
both require learning to live with them and have drawbacks. i do carry 1911 gov and officers that way very happpily and very concealed in YUMA AZ's 120*F heat. have also learned stainless is the way to go when sweating on firearms especially ISWB carry. they will still rust if your not carefull though will require a wipe down daily and cleaning every few (3) days or so.
for the record i'm 5'8" 230lbs (short and fat)

sean

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Either one in a Milt Sparks SSII carried just behind the hip should do well for you. The 1911 will ride flatter, though.

Make sure you get a good belt for it as well...cheap belts hang funny and are nowhere near as comfortable.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
The best-concealing 1911 pattern holster I own, bar none, is a Sparks EX; basically a variation of the summer special. The gun actually 'prints' less in that holster, than it does just by itself in the same place, due to the way it holds the gun, because of the way the belt loop is positioned.

I lived in Houston until 1993, and carried a small Detonics 1911 (slightly smaller than an officer's model), and I'm fairly large. A 5'6" guy trying to conceal a full-size 1911 or a Glock .45 (unless it's the 36), is going to have to work awfully hard at it.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
not at all, if he has a flat stomach. I've done it for years, just use the navel carry, muzle pointed at juncture of strong side leg with pelvis. trigger guard behind the belt.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
what I suggest, tho, is that you dump the 1911 for a Kahr PM9 9mm and a kydex front pants pocket rig, with velcro to secure it in tjhe pocket. Put same in coat pocket for winter. Get a used, $350, steel framed Kahr 9mm for practice, along with a PT22 Taurus .22 DAO, for more practice with less cost.

·
Registered
145 Posts
"not at all, if he has a flat stomach. I've done it for years, just use the navel carry, muzle pointed at juncture of strong side leg with pelvis. trigger guard behind the belt."

Goody for you, Opie, the rest of us got fat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts