Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
included Raul Walters, the top 1911 man at the time (1978.) I won it with a 1.40 average, 10 draws, 18"x24" mark, at 10 yds, with 5 different hand starts. I had 3 "runs" in which I missed, and one in which I missed twice. Lw Commander, using a version of the Bruce Nelson x draw rig, that Arganbright made for me, under a flannel shirt. Ron Bright, the SA revolver fast draw champion, told me:"John, you are the only guy here that I couldn't tell was wearing a gun".

·
Registered
549 Posts
Times do change. Given the top IDPA shooters today, with their photographer's vests, inserts to stiffen the sides, Kydez on the point of the hip, and so on, a 1.40 average to an 18x24 plate at 10 yards would be considered sloth like.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not with 5 different hand starts, it wouldn't. Parade Rest,Crucified, hands at centerline, surrender, and hands at sides, with an alloy compact and real loads, and from underneath a shirt.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In the hands of a world class shooter like TGO, Avery, The Burner, etc., there would be no difference between a lightweight commander stoked with Corbon loads and a tricked out five inch with 165 power factor loads on the drill you describe. The type of concealment and holster position are the deciding factors.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so PROVE it. Put on the match, and SEE how many guys average faster than 1.40 seconds, with the handstarts, shirt ccw etc. You can have EVERY top hand in the US present, and NOBODY is going to say that 1.40 second is "slothlike', with those restrictions. In fact, only a VERY few are going to beat it, and the ones that do so get PAID to shoot.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
erika/gunkid, settle down the gentleman just gave you his opinion! If or what you did 28-29 years ago, was 28-29 years ago. Time, training, equipment changes. Live the reality.

·
Registered
549 Posts
andy:

I said 1.40 is slow with the type of concealment in vogue today at IDPA matches. I didn't say it was slow under the parameters you set forth.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the match parameters you speak of are bs, so they have no relevance. In fact, they lead to all sorts of mistakes and false confidence. Since they don't actually WEAR such gear in such a fashion, what's the point? Might as well be race gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts