Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering (2) guns to obtain a CCW with. I 1st considered the .32 silvertip from the small company that has a year waiting list. The name escapes me now. I then looked at the Taurus which looked nice. similar to the Browning if I remember correctly, but with a lifetime warr. I used to have a Glock 17 which was nice but too large to carry being I am not as large as the Governator. I really liked the Ruger Stainless 6" 357 I had in the 80's but that was impossible to conceal except in the winter. .45,.40,9mm ?? so many choices I like the 9mm due to the ammo being available for less $$$. I would like to be able to pu both guns for less than $1k.

Any suggestions

·
Registered
147 Posts
There are many possibilities given your budget. Are you looking for a revolver or a Semi-auto? Can you give us more info??

I have several suggestion that would fit into your price range.

1) Sigs (several models; I like the 229)
2) good ol' basic 1911 (suprisingly, 1911s are very concealable)
3) Glock 30
4) Seecamp .32
5) P7 (good used ones can still be had for ~$800)

I've carried all of these without complaint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a compact 9mm like one of the little Glocks and a .22 in either revolver or auto for times when you want to carry but wear less.
jamullins

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CCW (2)

I don't know for sure, I like semi autos due to how flat they are. I used to own a 2" 38 charter arms, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I never had a chance to shoot my S&W alloy lightweight I used own to see how well it shot though. I guess it would depend on the weight and concealability factor. I once owned a walther ppks stainless .380 and it was like carrying a lead brick. I would like light/accurate compact weapons. Of course for a gun that is neither that I really liked to shoot was an
S & W 44 magnum. I don't recall the model, but it shot like a dream. Thanks for the info, and the .32 seecamp is the one I was referring to that I forgot the name of.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
A real nice little semi-auto in 9mm is the Kahr. Smaller than many .380s and has been reliable and accurate during casual shooting. I've looked at the .40S&W models, but they appear to be klunky to me. Maybe it would grow on me if I had one, but so far I haven't run into one that has sucked my wallet out of my pocket.

Now if you want something REALLY NICE, look at those Kimbers that look like they were left in the sun too long and melted slightly. All of the sharp edges are smoothed down and the gun looks like a real piece of art. Of course, it will set you back a grand to get one, but I've come close to getting one more than once when I heard one calling my name at a gun show.

I guess the only reason I haven't bought one of those Kimbers is because I already have a larger model, and I HATE the way you have to take them apart to clean them.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i've been mulling over the same question.i thought about the kahr,the smaller glocks,a bersa,the seecamp(even though i've never seen one,do they really exist?), and even a deringer.what i do have my eyes on.with intent to aquire.is a s & w 342..38 spec+p,6 shots,12oz.
my reasoning:1) .38 spec. is courtroom friendly,no vigilante justice/dirty harry.2)certainly powerful enough to be potentially lethal.3)cheap enough to practice alot with(ammo.not the gun itself),&4)light enough that i will carry it.i learned after many years that if something is/gets too heavy-it will be left behind.
you can reverse my reasons to pik what i feel is most important.
"a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"saith the wise man

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I have a 638 Airweight S&W that spends most of it's life in my butt bag. You don't even know it's there, it is so light. Believe me, a heavy piece of iron gets tiresome after awhile. And one thing I learned REAL fast is if you have heavy iron in that butt bag and it somehow gets to riding right around your zipper area in front, don't get to jumping up and down enthusiastically! This advice goes right alongside of my other sage recommendation to not piss near an electric fence.

Anyway, yeah I would like to carry a .44 Special or .45 Colt revolver in my butt bag, but the size of the butt bag makes it look like I am carrying a suitcase on my belt loop. Talk about feeling conspicuous!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
342 s&w

I looked at that 342 on their website looks similar to the airweight I owned back in 1994. How does it shoot as far as kick and accuracy is concerned ??

Confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P.S. seecamp

I actually saw a used seecamp once at a gun shop here in Las Vegas, NV they wanted a small fortune for it. So I decided not to buy it especially after hearing any repairs could take 6 months to a year. I guess they have a few people making these guns and have a waiting list from what I have been told.

confused

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll let you know after i get my hands on it.should be in january.a late x-mas present to myself!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gun for CCW test

Out of a possible 250 pts. on the range test. I got 240 pts.
with my CZ 9mm 75D compact. Distances of 15ft, 25ft, and
50ft. Its one of the best kept secrets around. A gun that feels
like a gun, steel slide, hammered steel barrol, easy field strip,
very accurate, at a price thats less than what you would pay
for the favorite names. Czec it out, I think you will like it.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Darn, now I am kicking myself for not buying a CZ 10mm when I had it in my hand at a gun show.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry my Seecamp as a BUG. They are reasonably priced and can easily be found at any decent show. I'm not sure about wait times from the factory. I bought mine NIB last year for $450 and the dealer threw in a spare mag for free. (Milt Sparks makes a great pocket holster for it, too.)

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Are there any local firearms ranges that rent guns to the shooter. This is the way to go. Such ranges, here in the east, are often found in gun store basements (LV=caleche {spelling} and not many basements) but this should be worth looking into for you. mThis way you go to the range, and try out what they have on hand as rentals or range guns. You get to see, fell, shoot before you even consider buying.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An excellent idea. If you are lucky enough to have a gun range
where they will rent you a gun, its a great way to get
a feel for whats out there. What one loves, another may hate.
You definitely need to try a few a find what feels right for you.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, that would probably be a good start, but honestly, even within a particular model, they are all difference feeling. When I was looking for a Sig 220, I tried out every one at a gun show until I found one that had a trigger pull I liked.

Then later on I was looking for a S&W 686 and had to do the same thing before I found one with a trigger pull I liked. They were ALL different!

But I guess I am just picky about trigger pull, I guess. I don't know how many guns I had made my mind up to buy, but then changed my mind once I felt the trigger pull on it. I LOVE the look and feel of the Baby Eagles, but the trigger pull turns me off every time. And I'll bet I have handled close to 100 of them over the last several years. Never bought one yet......

·
Registered
14 Posts
An inexpensive, well made, very accurate, good carry gun is the Makarov 9x18 (about $170). (but I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra).
They are very good pistols and very cheap Russian ammo is availably, up to 120gr JHPs.
I have 9 and have been involved with a dozen more and only one had any trouble. A 12 shot conversion and I think that was the owner.

There's a Polish (9x18) pistol being imported now called a P-64.
I have one and like it so well I have another ordered and will probably get a couple more.
It's selling for about $170.
Very well made, all steel but small (smaller than the Makarov) and light enough for carry. I've been carrying it lately.
Bottom line it will shoot about an 8 inch group at 50 yards (at least that's the best I can shoot it).
It kicks bad with full loads.
The picture doesn't do it justice.
SOG is selling them faster than they can get them. Last I heard there was a 800 gun waiting list.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/

As far as a mouse gun I carry the Kel Tec 32, 380 or 9mm/40cal (9mm in my boot)
I've run many rounds through these guns.
One of them is always with me. Usually the 380.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Confused said:
I then looked at the Taurus which looked nice. similar to the Browning if I remember correctly, but with a lifetime warr.
Any suggestions

(From the movie, "Blacksheep"): "I can shit in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I've got the time."

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Mak. Just get a Bulgarian Mak in 9x18. For a revolver get a Taurus 85. Should be easy to qualify with both. And you won't but lots of money in those two but they will serve you well. If you want to spend more, Sig 239 in 9mm and Smith 642 are tops. But the Mak/Taurus will do just about as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts