Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cause less than 20" barrel on 308 means you aint GOT any "long range' potential >223 offers, and 308, to be as quiet as the sonic crack, the silencer has to be 10" long. Add 2" to the barrel of your 28" shotgun and see if you STILL "think' that it's "handy enough". The fact is, it AINT. An 11.5" AR in 223, with 7.5" of silencer, tho, IS still handy. it DOES have a BB-gun quiet option, 30 rd box mag, with subsonic 60 gr Aquila .22 ammo. IT DOES have a luminous sight option, it IS dark half of the time. The shorty AR IS concealable in a backpack, taken down. It DOES offer a folding stock, making it concealable, under your arm, on a string, under your coat. Nobody can know what they might need to do, if shtf, so having more options is best. the 100 gr bthp subsonic 223 loads offer brain hit potential to 150 yds, altho I wouldn't bother to carry more than half a dozen such rds.

You ARE more at risk in open country in daylight, than in thick cover or darkness. You DO have little or no long-range potential at night. So all this bs about 'long range' is just that, bs. The fact is, without match grade ammo, the 308 can't outreach the 223 at ALL, cause the group size quickly becomes too large for reliable hits (ie, 10" groups or larger at a mere 400 yds, with 308 ball ammo, regardless of shooter, scope or rifle used) If you zero with match ammo, then the ball rds have no long range potential at all, since the POI will be quite different from that of the bthp ammo. Especially if you choose the 168 gr stuff, cause ball is 147 gr bullets.

It's just stupid to fire if you don't have to do so, and if you have availed yoursefl of proper terrain/cover/tactics, you won't have to do so at long range. Therefore, the 308 offers not nearly enough advantage to offset the losses that you take if you choose it. When it's for real, you'd BETTER be quiet, and not have flash at night and you'd BETTER have the option of concealing your rifle.

the fact that you've got a little dick and the 30 cal makes you "feel" like a he-man is not a reason to be stupid about gear and tactical decisions.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Have you had a chance to "look" at the "pistol only" stabilizer arm braces on the market? For AR "Pistols"? Of course there's nothing saying you can't use just the pistol buffer tube as a "Brace" and be cheeky about it.

And who says you can't do a quick post SHTF swap to some other lower?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
cause less than 20" barrel on 308 means you aint GOT any "long range' potential >223 offers, and 308, to be as quiet as the sonic crack, the silencer has to be 10" long. Add 2" to the barrel of your 28" shotgun and see if you STILL "think' that it's "handy enough". The fact is, it AINT. An 11.5" AR in 223, with 7.5" of silencer, tho, IS still handy. it DOES have a BB-gun quiet option, 30 rd box mag, with subsonic 60 gr Aquila .22 ammo. IT DOES have a luminous sight option, it IS dark half of the time. The shorty AR IS concealable in a backpack, taken down. It DOES offer a folding stock, making it concealable, under your arm, on a string, under your coat. Nobody can know what they might need to do, if shtf, so having more options is best. the 100 gr bthp subsonic 223 loads offer brain hit potential to 150 yds, altho I wouldn't bother to carry more than half a dozen such rds.

You ARE more at risk in open country in daylight, than in thick cover or darkness. You DO have little or no long-range potential at night. So all this bs about 'long range' is just that, bs. The fact is, without match grade ammo, the 308 can't outreach the 223 at ALL, cause the group size quickly becomes too large for reliable hits (ie, 10" groups or larger at a mere 400 yds, with 308 ball ammo, regardless of shooter, scope or rifle used) If you zero with match ammo, then the ball rds have no long range potential at all, since the POI will be quite different from that of the bthp ammo. Especially if you choose the 168 gr stuff, cause ball is 147 gr bullets.

It's just stupid to fire if you don't have to do so, and if you have availed yoursefl of proper terrain/cover/tactics, you won't have to do so at long range. Therefore, the 308 offers not nearly enough advantage to offset the losses that you take if you choose it. When it's for real, you'd BETTER be quiet, and not have flash at night and you'd BETTER have the option of concealing your rifle.

the fact that you've got a little dick and the 30 cal makes you "feel" like a he-man is not a reason to be stupid about gear and tactical decisions.
Every single thing you posted about the .308 is wrong. 10” at 400 yards? Who is stuck with ball ammo? You do not need match grade ammo to do better than 4”. There is a lot of ammo choices for .308 that aren’t ball or match. I load for mine.

you know nothing about long range shooting - and 400 yards is not long range.

a 16” barrel on a .308 is still better than your shorty AR.

what optics are you using? What is the POI change for your 100 gr .223 from your normal ammo? Do they stabilize enough from your shorty to work with your cobbled can? Have you ever even tried them?

why does the suppressor need to be 10”? My .308 suppressor is 8.4”

go ahead and put luminous sights on your shorty AR. They show up in a night vision scope and light your face up. I have longer range options than you do with a night vision scope. And I have more options during daylight than you do with a .308.

my .308 might not be my first choice, but I’d do just fine with it.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Melvin, one of my WW2 Re-Enactor match bragging shots from back in the day was hitting a 1 gallon milk jug, filled with water and red die at 435 yds with a reloaded M25 Tracer Rd from my .30-06 M1 Garand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts