Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is it about to become a shooting war in the Ukraine?

Why should we care? Well, for one thing they do have nukes, for another they grow a lot of the wheat eaten in that part of the world.

The election is in dispute between a pro-westerner and a hard-line communist.

The EU, US, and just about everyone has reported the election to be totally fraudulent.

It's starting to get nasty, as Russia has sent troops, the Ukrainians responded with their troops, and a ton of protestors are between both of them...

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
War is possible. I side with the Ukraine but don't think we should send troops in unless every other European country contributes 2X as many as we do. We are just spread too thin and too many of our men are dying in far parts of the world for no really good reason.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I say we shouldn't send troop no matter how many the Euro-peons send. Getting between Russians and Ukrainians is NOT the place to be.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't recall if the Ukraine was formally admitted to NATO or not. I know that they were supposed to be joining NATO.

If, and I repeat IF, they are officially part of NATO, then we are obligated by treaty to come to their aid. (Don't know to what level we are required to assist.) So, we may be sending them arms and equipment...I doubt we'd be sending troops.

If we do get involved militarily, it will probably be more of an air war thing, like Kosovo, where we just bomb the crap out of a bunch of stuff. (Though the russians do have some really nasty AA stuff that they can throw against us.)

Only time will tell....

:devil:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Funny thing is, coming to the aid of an ally (IF they are a part of NATO) would be better than a "peacekeeping mission" simply for the fact that we'd only be fighting the Russians, a "peacekeeping mission" would have us fighting BOTH, with no "home base" to go back to. I still don't like the idea of fighting the Russians, they have equipment that they've never sold to foreigners (they're smarter about such things than we are), and would give even our stealth aircraft a rough time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts