Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our resident "master shottist" has proclaimed that weapon cleaning is only necessary once a year, or after 3,000 rounds have been fired. Anyone paying attention to this tripe should thonk again. Guns are mechanical devices that need to be cleaned ans lubricated to function properly, Wouls you drive your car for a year without an oil change? Oil evaporates. Even when you haven't shot it, clean and lubricate your lifesaver. Ancient history, but it still sticks in my mind, I hitched a ride from Prayline Moutain to Krause Compound, South Viet Nam, in March of 1970. The convoy was from the 18th (Combat) Engineer Brigade. The driver of the deuce and a half (2 1/2 Ton truck) I was riding in, had the worst looking M-16 I have ever seen. I advised him in my NCO voice that he should clean his weapon up. His response was, "Hell, I've only been shot at twice and the air cover (Huey Gunships) took care of that. Besides you ain't my Sergeant." Your funeral, I told him. l was prophetic. Eight day's later, on the same run, at the same time, (did we ever learn?) the convoy was ambushed. Seventeen Enginneers killed. One of the survivors, who had an AK-47 round in his foot, told me the driver I had rode with had got out of his truck and tried to return fire. He got off two rounds and his weapon jammed. He took three rounds in the chest from an RPD light machine gun while trying to clear his weapon. I won't give his name, but it's on the wall in Washington, D.C. Yeah, don't clean your weapons.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Your preachin to the choir!

·
Registered
160 Posts
No of our crew have had any weapon malfunctions.

Is this due to proper maintenance of quality weapons? You bet that's a big factor.

ARs, M1As, FALS, 240s, 249s, 1911s, Berettas, M82s, and the bolt guns haven't had problems.

We're anal enough that before every 2nd Sat turn to everyone changes the batteries in their Aimpoint sights. The sights are left on 24 hours a day and the batteries in an Aimpoint are rated for a minimum of 1,000hours. This schedule has us changing the batteries out with only 336 hours of use on them.

Eotech users change them every Saturday,(168hours used, rated for 300hours) the autoshut off feature on them has been disabled.

ACOG users, never change them, no batteries to change!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts