Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but is't been PROVED that it's one of the worst. If you use FMJ military the short barrel will be WORTHLESS at generating shock due to fragmentation of the bullet, and if you use SP ammo, it becomes worthless in HEAVE brush shooting as the SP will fly apart hitting any twigs, brush, sticks, just anything that gets in the way of the slug, including WEB GEAR of any adversary. And don't forget any heavy bullet loads will either be single feed or specialty reloads that cannot be found in the field or after any SHTF.

Add to that the short gas tube of the CAR makes the gun more jam prone than the full sized AR.

All in all, the 10" CAR is a POS piece of junk that even a Highpoint 9mm carbine becomes a valiable alternative.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Evey, thing you say is true Ace. The Army tested them extensively in the 1970s as part of the XM177 program and rejected them for just those reasons.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
That must mean that the "clown" has chosen an obsolete rifle!!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Garand, obsolete means at one time it was a good weapon that was competitive, and thus not obsolete. The 10" or 11" CAR never as worth a shit. It was an abortion before the pregnancy (if that could happen.)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, same stupe trys to bury post by putting out 19 others with BS. Shows what a pos lame he is.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Now wait a minute guys, the US military did make a recommendation to extend the barrel from 10.5 inches to 11.5 inches and use it as a PDW for tank commanders... here's the catch...

Maximum effective range is only 75 yards. They even have an A2 and A3 variant still being produced. I have an A2 version upper for my M16.

Mike

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HR, I would think if a tank commander is going to just go 75 yards, maybe a folding stock 12 guage would do. Since the 11.5 incher still has a long extension to the barrel, why not just 14 or 16 inches?

They guys in R&D really need to be more imaginative.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
DJetAce, those of us in R&D are very innovative and imaginative. PhD's are very conceptionally geared and have no real world experience. It is up to us who haven't got the PhD, but have experience in the field to try and assist them with a workable solution. Sometimes you win, sometime you loose.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
DJetAce,

The A2's don't have the extended flash suppressor assembly, they use a standard A2 birdcage. They just open up the gas port for reliability. The down side to this is shorter weapon life.

Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The Army is planning to replace the 14.5 inch barrels on all M4 Carbines with 16.5 inch barrels if the XM8 rifle is not approved to replace the M16-M4 family/

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HB, replacing the barrel with the 16.5 sounds like the best idea until a totaly new concept in rifle comes by. They might also make an upper to take the 6.8 mm round.

The Army, while being a slow institution, still figures it out. Gunkid never will. As the old saying goes, "that boy will never learn."

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Maybe my history memory is a little crusty but wasn't a CAR10,along with an SR25,one of the "normal" weapons carried by the early SEAL/Vietnam era UDT teams?

I realize that those men carried ALOT of different arms but those two stick out as being "standards".

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ditto gunkid. Stupes like you 'think' you can bury post.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And gunkid is still a stupe.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He still 'thinks' he can bury the post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts