Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Match stress, are you kidding. Do you mean the stress you felt when had butterflies in your tummy before competing? That is nothing! That is not stress of any significant amount. A match is a fun thing to shoot or at least it should be. Sure you may get a little jittery when you get there, but you have all the time in the world to calm yourself before you shoot, and to think about your technique as you are getting your gear ready and as you talk to the other shooters, the range personnel or your coach.

Of course if it is a tactical match, then all the jitters should go right down the toilet as soon as you hit the tactical course. The tiny bit of adrenaline that causes the jitters is immediately being directed to your running, or climbing, or crawling, scanning targets for hostiles and so forth, and of course you also had time to get yourself ready to shoot before the match time begins.

On the street in a real SHTF situation, there is no time to talk to the other shooters, or to the coach, or too adjust your equipment and slowly think about things. You had best be well trained, well equipped, alert, ready for action, and pretty much have some sort of a plan before the SH it comes off of that fan and winds up in your face. There is no second guessing, no coaching, no one saying to you 'aw too bad maybe next time', because it is a life and death scenario, and it is not a piece of paper at which you will be shooting. Your stress management under these circumstances may go right out the window, but you need only do one thing even if you are so scared you poop yourself. You have to fight to win.

Once you realize the SHTF the first thing that takes place on your part of which you may or may not be aware is a surge of adrenaline and I do mean a MEGA surge. Along with that surge you had best already be taking action - not to control the adrenaline that just pumped into your system but to control the situation. If the situation lasts for more than about a minute or two, you will feel that adrenaline, you may well start to get very jittery or even start shaking, you may get scared, you may realize that you have peed in your pants or crapped yourself because the pucker factor failed you. Whatever you do, if you have trained to take action, then you have an advantage over someone who is not trained. If you were trained to improvise all the better for you. In the great majority of shooting scenarios the shooter resorts to his or her training. Thus even if you are in a sheer panic and start to blubber like a baby, you may be able to take the appropriate action because you were trained to do so.

I know this for a fact because I have been there and done it in a hand to hand combat situation where a guy tried to take away my gun and shoot me with it. I almost started to cry I was so friggin scared because I thought he was going to do it to me. Yet no matter how scared I was, I got the advantage, kept my gun, and finally got the situation under control because I knew enough to keep up the fight. The important thing is not to give in to the fear, and do nothing - keep up the fight.

I have also heard of several cases when people have actually wet their pants or dirtied them but they just kept fighting. They later recalled a warm sensation during the fight, one or two even realized what had happened but kept up the fight. It is important to pay attention to the tactical situation not the inconsequential side effects.

Even people who have been shot several times have survived because they continued the fight. They knew they were shot too and were plenty scared and thought maybe they were going to die, but did not give in to it. They had the mindset to do so beforehand because that is how they were trained and how they conditioned themselves.

Know that when you are suddenly pulled out of your comfortable version of reality and thrown into a firefight or other fight for your life, you need to focus on one thing and one thing alone, defeating your opponent. You have to forget the hunger pangs you were feeling, forget you just found out your wife is screwing the mailman, forget your sore toe that you dropped a hammer on yesterday, forget the fear that just overwhelmed you, and remember how to fight to win even if you never paid attention to any of your instrcutors about tactics. Then when it is all over, you worry about whether or not you took a round or if you crapped in your pants. When your life is in the balance, even if the odds are in the other guy's favor, you should fight like a wildcat to survive. Don't give up. Train yourself to take action, plan to be a winner and to be a survivor. Don't wind up doing nothing except dying.

Match or Range stress indeed, is nothing at all compared to the real life stress of a fight for your life - you should prepare for the latter and forget about the former.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
ever compete on Tv? At world or national levels, when you and others expected you to WIN? oF COURSE not, you are just another D class LOSER. You can't even handle match stress. I never SAID combat stress was LESS, dumbass, I just said you can't even handle the MATCH stress.

Btw, dumbass, Bill Jordan and Jim Cirillo, both veterans of SCORES of armed encounters, and a dozen gunfights each, BOTH said, match stress was VERY hard on them. So who are YOU, punk? What do YOU know about gunfighting OR top level competition, punk?

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
When there is less than 100 people in the world competing, its not much of an accomplishment. Post your IPSC scores for the last 24 months with independent verification.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
gk says: "So who are YOU, punk? What do YOU know about gunfighting OR top level competition, punk?"

I think that Glenn just said that he had been in some real life fights. Don't know what his qualifications are but probably some time of law enforcement. The only thing you know about that is assuming the position and submitting meekly to the handcuffs.

I'll take Glenn's advice over yours any day.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Everyone knows GoonKid has nothing to say. Competition stress isn't sh!t, TV or not. Reason competition stress gets to people and makes them give up is because they know they CAN. In a real fight you CAN'T. Guys that give up and cry for mommy DIE in a real fight.

A lot of people lagh at those that piss or sh!t themselves in a fight. But really it's a physiological thing. The brain diverts its attention to what it's going to need to keep you alive. Some people's brains just relax unneeded muscles, some people's clench them so hard you couldn't drive the proverbial straight pin with the equally proverbial 20 lb sledge. That's all it is, it doesn't mean the guy that peed himself is a coward. No, Glenn, I'm not saying you said any of that, just debunking a popular misconception about why some people mess themselves.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
" I never SAID combat stress was LESS, dumbass, I just said you can't even handle the MATCH stress."

OH? I have shot in a great many matches. lame and in actual combat. Since you have not what you think is worthless,

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
"
Btw, dumbass, Bill Jordan and Jim Cirillo, both veterans of SCORES of armed encounters, and a dozen gunfights each, BOTH said, match stress was VERY hard on them. So who are YOU, punk? What do YOU know about gunfighting OR top level competition, punk?"

Your unsupported word is worth npthing lame. I have seen both men shoot and talked with them. I don't recall that they said anything like what you say, so post links now.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Prove that you can handle the stress gunkid, post your recent scores!!

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Hard Ball said:
"
Btw, dumbass, Bill Jordan and Jim Cirillo, both veterans of SCORES of armed encounters, and a dozen gunfights each, BOTH said, match stress was VERY hard on them. So who are YOU, punk? What do YOU know about gunfighting OR top level competition, punk?"

Your unsupported word is worth npthing lame. I have seen both men shoot and talked with them. I don't recall that they said anything like what you say, so post links now.
WHen did you meet Jim Cirillo? I trained under him in 1985 at Glynco, GA. A real fund of knowledge, and he had the funniest Cop stories I have ever heard. He taught me a trick or two on entering rooms or going around corners. A real gentleman.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Match stress does not make you piss your pants, crap your pants or shake like if you had the DTs. Don't give me all your bullcrap because that is all it amounts to. Now you use the signon name HardBall too - holy horse feathers there is a lot of it flying around here. Just how many signon names do you have - or better yet how many do you need to have so that you can try to support yourself. You are really a strange kind of a guy, but none to hard to figure out. In my estimation you amount to LAME.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
"WHen did you meet Jim Cirillo? I trained under him in 1985 at Glynco, GA. A real fund of knowledge, and he had the funniest Cop stories I have ever heard. He taught me a trick or two on entering rooms or going around corners. A real gentleman."

At a two day seminar he conducted in 1988 ASIRC. Some of his shooting techniques such as the cplpr drill and the nose point were outstanding. I practice them to this day.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
" Bill Jordan and Jim Cirillo, both veterans of SCORES of armed encounters, and a dozen gunfights each, BOTH said, match stress was VERY hard on them. So who are YOU, punk? What do YOU know about gunfighting OR top level competition, punk?"

Come on lame, post the links or are you just lying again as usual?

<font color=red>*</font>

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Glenn Bartley said:
Now you use the signon name HardBall too - holy horse feathers there is a lot of it flying around here. Just how many signon names do you have - or better yet how many do you need to have so that you can try to support yourself. You are really a strange kind of a guy, but none to hard to figure out. In my estimation you amount to LAME.
Hard Ball was quoting the short bus rider. Note the "" signs around the beginning of his post.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoops my apologies to Hardball.

As for me, I have met Mr. Cirillo both here in New York and at FLETC. I imagine that the wonderful one (in his own mind anyhow) will claim he has met and out shot him in tactical matches but I really met him at least a few times in my capacities as a Customs Patrol Officer and Special Agent. He certainly had a witty attitude, gotta love it. Isn't it funny how someone always spouts off the names of people ike Mr. Cirillo but yet you never hear the great ones talking about this self proclaimed legend.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
GoonKid doesn't amount to what Mr Cirillo flushes each morning. Any idiot can name drop names he reads in magazines.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As far as I know only GunKid uses multiple names here. Why? So he can post to himself some times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts