Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is a pair of 1927 sistma pistols. one is cold rust blued and the othe is hot rust blued. a friend of mine did them for me, which is which. i got into big discussion about it with him, he told me i couldn't tell the differance. now ya'll tell me what you think. i know the picture quality is not that good but its the best i could get out of the camera today. the bottom pic is for the hammer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok this is the second 1927 which is which?? couldn't get them all on the same page.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Okay NH, with respect I'll be honest. The photos of the two Systemas are pretty poor and appear to be the same fun because of the rusted mag in the photo. The photo of the S&W is also poor but the finish on that gun appears to be blotchy but that could be reflection. Its darn near impossible to really tell but if I were going to bet a McBarfburger on one I would say the S&W. There are just too many telltales on a cold blue job to conceal. Uneven coverage, blotchy appearance; most people do little or no metal prep on a cold blue job. Actually the best cold blue I have seen was done with Oxpho Blue. Its a phosphate finish but actually looked pretty good in a zombie gray kind of way.

Still friends?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rika your right heres the other one. and the pics are crap i will admit. i think i have something wrong with the camera. believe it or not the 39 is nickel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Going by those pics I can't honestly tell them apart I'd need to take a SWAG(scientific wild ass guess).

One thing I've found out with firearm pics with a digital camera is they seem to take much clearer outside using natural light.

But here's my best SWAG, the bottom one is cold rust blued. If given that the camera angle/distance and lighting are 100% the same the finish has a different color tone to it that reminds me of things I've cold rust blued before. As in the photo it looks more greyish toned than blue-black.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ED that isn't fair you weren't supposed to figure it out that fast guy. yup the bottom one is cold. as for the magazine on the upper one, the guy tried to get it to take blueing for 2 days, it kept comming out just like it is, i even watched him acid dip, clean it and reblue it. it would look nice for long enought to card it then it would rust right through the finish and oil that was on it. i mean right before your eyes quick. he said it must be made out of some morfiadite alien crap cuase it ain't going to take a finish. i finally after watching the process had to shrug my sholders and agree with him. it looks like steel, feels like steel, and smells like steel, but i guess its a duck. :cool:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Nickel is hard to photograph without using shadowbox lighting. And yes, I agree with Ed that the bottom pistol is cold blued. The finish on the frame and bottom of slide in front of the triggerguard is definitely greyish toned. As for the mag not taking a finish, steel composition and even heat treatment can affect the way it takes color.

Nice Systemas by the way. :)

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
neolithic hunter said:
it would look nice for long enought to card it then it would rust right through the finish and oil that was on it.
Yes! That's what happened to my pistol too, but it took a few days for it to show up - AND that was on the slide, which is a Colt from the last of the original Series 70 run, so the steel shouldn't be the problem, I'd guess. ???

What hot-rust-blue solution did he use? I was using the Brownell's solution.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jon a don't realy know. he says its a reciepe that a smith gave to him years ago. but he wont tell me what it is. oh well some thing have to be kept under your hat. he rust blued a mismatched luger for me. it came out looking like it just left the factory yesterday, he says he used the same mix that he has been using for years. i know when he drops parts in it, it fizzes like a park solution. doesn't seam to effect the polisho the metal though. :cool:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I hope this don't sound like something dumb and obvious but what does he use for a "stop bath" or rinse?

Could that be contaminated by something?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Actually the stop-bath is the boiling water. I have always used distilled water because the instructions said to.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ed - I used a few tablespoons of Arm & Hammer baking soda per one gallon of water for about 1/2 hour for a stop bath.

Here's a new solution I'd not heard of. It's called "Radocy." It is an express-type rust blue, but the photos posted seem to suggest that it does pretty well, IF enough coats are applied - the guy who posted these over on the www.homegunsmith.com board said he did the 6" pistol in the photo, and the 4" is there for comparison, and is a factory S&W finish. Interesting!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hmmmm......not bad going by the pics.

I wonder if that's the same stuff a friend of mine got. It seems to work well and though a cold rust blue you do warm the metal before applying the solution but not too hot.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yea, I bet it does help to warm the metal - the ones I've seen directions for generally suggest that. Anyway, it'll be interesting to try out the Pilkington's and also this one on my old Smiths first.

Best,
Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts