Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I received a Colt Python from my father this Christmas and it was the revolver that he carried when he was a police officer in the 60's. My question is, is there a way to date these revolvers? Thanks for the help.

Python

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kool,a gun with family history!

Any chance you have any pics of it?

re.Your question?Yes,there is.I'm not privy to it though.IIRC,there's a guy on the forum who collect 'em.He might be able to help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
41mag said:
Kool,a gun with family history!

Any chance you have any pics of it?

re.Your question?Yes,there is.I'm not privy to it though.IIRC,there's a guy on the forum who collect 'em.He might be able to help.
I will get pics of it and post them asap. My father had it completely refinished for me before he gave it to me, so it looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Python said:
I will get pics of it and post them asap. My father had it completely refinished for me before he gave it to me, so it looks really nice.
Congratulations on acquiring an good firearms with family provence.

A letter to Cold Firearms Co., and some bucks will get you an official letter from Colt, as to your firearms heritege.

Call Colt first to find out how to accomplish this activity. The Colt Firearms Co. is located in Hartford, Connecticut.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I have seen dealers with books that would give you the date of manufacture of the gun based on the serial number. Never bothered to pick one up myself, but I think I will put that on my list of things to look for at the next gun show..... The big show in Lakeland is weekend after next, and I need a good reason to run down there.

But, worst comes to worst, you can order one of those books here:
http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_General/DOMColt.asp

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I mean, is it going to rock your world to find out it was made in 1980, vs 1960? Is it going to shoot better, or what?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
andy said:
I mean, is it going to rock your world to find out it was made in 1980, vs 1960? Is it going to shoot better, or what?
I guess that dumbasses like you will never know. :punch:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
I've always wondered why people care about such things?
It's posts like these that actually make me pity you.

What a sad existence your life must truly be.

:devil:

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
andy said:
I've always wondered why people care about such things?
Because:

Some people collect guns for the collectibility sake. Older guns are more valuable, usually.

Some guns were better made during some time periods compared to other periods.

Some people just like to know such things. Ignorance can be willful or circumstantial.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Colt Pythons with all digital serial numbers have forged lockwork. Colt Pythons with a serial number that contains an alpha character and digits, have scintered metallic lockwork.

Thus, the older Pythons, with forged lockwork, are considered much more desirable. If NUTTY JOHN knew anything about firearms, he would have known that.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Aslan said:
It's posts like these that actually make me pity you.

What a sad existence your life must truly be.

:devil:
Tim, SOCIOPATHIC PEOPLE only care about themselves. The Scarecrow, being a HARDCORE SOCIOPATH, can't understand a NORMAL PERSONS feelings ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts