Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rifle. With 3x scope, yet. :) That thing has damned little more effective range than match ammo, trigger job, match upper, 2x7 Leupold on a 10" CAR. 2 MOA at 100 yds is 10" or worse at 400 yds. The CAR can be 1 MOA, and 12" at 400 yds. :) You pussies all have so MUCH more combat experience than does the entire Soviet military apparatus.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Gee, My Druganov gets about 3/4 MOA. I've taken white tail with it at 700 yards. I know people who have used the Druganov in live combat situations. While it isn't as accurate as I prefer, your numbers are simply pulled out of the air as usual.

Mike

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Oh yeah, 2 moa is 8 inches at 400 yards. If you are losing accuracy in such a short distance, the gun needs to be replaced. It us substandard and there is a problem with it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hard Rock said:
Oh yeah, 2 moa is 8 inches at 400 yards. If you are losing accuracy in such a short distance, the gun needs to be replaced. It us substandard and there is a problem with it.

Mike
A CAR AR15 with a 10 inch barrel is inherently inaccurate as well as being unreliable and ballistically ineffective.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's been my understanding that "sniper rifle"meant something different in the Russian military than what it does in a Western army.

ie.It's been my understanding that,like a number of other things,the Russians fielded a much higher percentage of soldiers equiped w/Dragunov rifles(IMO,quite possibly the coolest looking rifle ever made.2MOA?So what!The thing looks like it's from outer space!Awesome!Awesome!)than the US fields sniper teams.

A different rifle for a different role/military model.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The Russian concept of a "sniper" is what we refer to as a designated marksman. A soldier in a line company who's job it is to take out high priority tragets in a combat situation. The Dragunov is more than capable in this role, and no AR is going to touch it for effectiveness in its role. Yes, 2 MOA would be "good enough" for a Dragunov's role, but a 2 MOA Dragunov is a shot-out Dragunov.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Magnum88C said:
The Russian concept of a "sniper" is what we refer to as a designated marksman. A soldier in a line company who's job it is to take out high priority tragets in a combat situation. The Dragunov is more than capable in this role, and no AR is going to touch it for effectiveness in its role. Yes, 2 MOA would be "good enough" for a Dragunov's role, but a 2 MOA Dragunov is a shot-out Dragunov.
Agreed. While the SVD's ammo & scope were never designed to meet Western stds for sniping, the design itself is capable of surprising accuracy.
With the NDM-86 Dragunov in .308 using 168gr match ammo and a cheap Russian 8x scope my personal best 4-shot ctc group at 100yds is .44". My best 3-shot at 100yds is .24". My best 3-shot at 500m is 4.5". I recently fired 20rds rapid-fire (no more than 4 sec between shots except when changing mags) at a std silhouette set at 1,000yds and achieved a 50% hit rate. It's far more accurate than a 20yr-old copy of a 40yr-old design w/chromed bore should be!
Tomac

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Nice rifles, now I know it's not a real Dragunov but have either of you any experience with the ROMAK-3?

I'm just curious if I happen to find a used on somewhere if they are worth getting. Not expecting the same level of accuracey. Just want a semi-auto in 7.62x54r.

·
Registered
80 Posts
BigEd63 said:
Nice rifles, now I know it's not a real Dragunov but have either of you any experience with the ROMAK-3?

I'm just curious if I happen to find a used on somewhere if they are worth getting. Not expecting the same level of accuracey. Just want a semi-auto in 7.62x54r.
I used to own a Romak-3 many years ago when there was only surplus 7.62x54 ball & the original 4x scope (trigger can be made very nice). Using Russian surplus '188' ammo I could consistently hit the 18" gong at 500m. Nowadays you have more/better scope options and if you can get the 7N1 SVD ammo then you'll have the most accurate ammo currently available. Sorry, I sold my Romak-3 before the newer scopes & 7N1 ammo became available so I can't comment on current accuracy potential. HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Thanks for the feed back on it.

Yes it helps a bunch and if I run across a deal on a ROMAK-3 I'll most likely get it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
BigEd63 said:
Thanks for the feed back on it.

Yes it helps a bunch and if I run across a deal on a ROMAK-3 I'll most likely get it.
You're welcome. If you get a Romak-3 then I suggest an original and not a kit build if you want the most accuracy. Also, pick up 7N1 ammo whenever you can. It's corrosively primed like most surplus ammo but is the most accurate currently available (pity there isn't any true lightweight match ammo available for 7.62x54). Finally, replace the 4x scope. I'd suggest either the POSP 8x42D Pro w/mildot reticle (.5moa adjustments) for the most precision or the 1P21 3-9x variable (last military scope designed specifically for the SVD, it has a 7.62x54 bullet drop compensator built into the auto-ranging/magnification) for fast ranging & COM hits out to 900m+.
Tomac
Here's a shot of the 1P21 reticle looking at the 750m gong:

And here's a shot of the 8x42D Pro mildot reticle looking at the 750m gong:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts