Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to what weapons people prefer to carry for personal defense.
I have two handguns that I like to carry, one, my Kimber Ultra CDP in .45 acp. The other is used when even that is not small enough, a Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380. I'm not a big man so sometimes it's hard to carry anthing larger than the Colt. I realize .380 is a bit light but it really is designed for closeup work.

P.S. Can't wait to jump in on all of these forums!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is this the official first thread??

Summer carry is usually a P7M8 and winter is the season for 1911s. I often carry a Seecamp in a pocket holster as well.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I've tried several handguns, but soon learned that steel is heavy. Eventually you get tired of carrying a brick around and sooner of later you are going to stop carrying it.

I bought a S&W Airweight and love it. The ammo weighs more than the gun does. I also like the Taurus lightweights as well. I carry a Taurus .45Colt in my pocket around the house and yard nearly all day long. I just would not do that with a steel gun.

My wife likes her P7M8, but stopped carrying it when she was driving up through Virginia on the way to visit her sister in Delaware. She was afraid that if she got caught with it, she would lose it to being confiscated. We both have Florida CCWs, but I don't believe that Virginia is a reciprocal (sp?) state even now. So we got a cheaper gun for her to carry. She usually carries the Kahr 9mm.

What I would REALLY like to have is a lightweight gun that would shoot something equivalent to a .50AE short. A .50 caliber bullet weighing 300 grains moving at 800 fps. Doesn't have to be more than three shots. If those three shots don't solve the problem, then you are in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bullet mass........

Nothing beats bullet mass for pure stopping power (IMHO).

How many times have we heard of 13 round, 9mm clips being emptied without the proper results?

I'm with you on the .50 caliber issue Rich!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
If velocity were the only issue, then everyone on the planet would be dead from being hit by photons traveling at the speed of light.

I don't know of anyone whom would just brush off getting hit by a car only traveling at 15 fps. ;)

Everything inbetween is a tradeoff of mass versus velocity, based on a lot of constraints placed on the physical limitations of something you can carry in your pocket. What is the minimum mass a projectile can have that will stop an attacker if fired at sufficient attainable velocity? Will it penetrate a jacket or just explode harmlessly on the surface? What is the maximum mass you can launch at the lowest velocity that will not have the equal reaction of launching you in the opposite direction, yet still be able to be carried handily and have the desired result on an attacker? A cinder block swung on the end of a 6 foot rope would be devastating. If you could wield it in a hurry when needed, and keep your own balance in the process.

So we compromise, and argue indefinitely about which tradeoffs are best.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I look at results. Based solely on a historical perspective, the .45 ACP has been used under actual conditions more than any other handgun round. It is slow and heavy, but amazingly effective. Regardless of velocity, bullet weight and a dozen other factors, it still comes down to bullet placement. The shooter that places the first shot into the effective area will win the gunfight. It doesnt' matter if he is shooting a .32 or a 7.62.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True.....BUT!...........

A poorly placed .45 in a none leathal spot is more likely to put a man down then a poorly placed .22 in the same spot.

I have a small amount of training but have never been in a firefight. I would hope I have the ability to place a shot or two well enough to resolve my delema. If not, hopefully the large round I use will compensate poor shot placement.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I think most people carry hoping like hell that they will never really HAVE to use a gun for self defense. But it does give a sense of security that people never having done so probably cannot understand. I carry a gun just about all of the time. Even in my own home and when I walk down to the mailbox. Sure beats trying to have a gun placed here and there strategically in case you need it suddenly.

People buy automobile insurance all the time, but certainly they don't HOPE to have an accident to take advantage of it. Frankly put, a carried firearm is like an insurance policy that is ONLY in effect if you have it on your person at the time you need it.

If I should have to draw a gun on someone that I feel the need to stop in their pursuit of causing me harm, I do hope that I do not have to fire it, but I certainly will, if need be. That's why I like large caliber handguns. I hope that looking down the end of a barrel with a hole big enough to stick your finger in it will cause the bad guy to reflect on his next move with all due concern. Although both can be fatal, a big hole in your body is less desirable than a little hole in your body.

IMHO

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly with both of you.

Clint,
FWIW, I am definitely a .45 guy. Out of more than 15 handguns, all but 4 are .45s. The only 9mm I have is the P7. I choose to carry it in situations where a full sized frame is inappropriate or simply not concealable. That is why I pointed to the use of the 45 acp by the military. For more than 7 decades is served all branches of the service with unequalled success. But after 15 years of fielding the M9 Berretta, the services are starting to slowly return to the 45. I have shot them both extensively during my career and certainly prefer the 45 and will continue to rely on it for my "personal needs". ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I usually carry my P7M8. If I am wearing shorts/ t-shirt, I have a S & W Airlight (.357) that I carry.

Here's the real question though...IWB or OWB?

I can't stand any IWB holster that I have tried so for me, it's always OWB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the summertime I usually carry a 9mm in a belly band holster. This rig effectively conceals the gun under just a t-shirt.
I carry the 9 for its slim frame and lack of alternative at the moment. I plan on picking up a compact .45 at some point to replace it with. The nine is the smallest caliber I consider carrying, unless it's just a back up.
I also carry a S&W model 60 .357, a small 5 shot that's easy to conceal.

I have been known to carry a S&W 686 with a 6 inch barrel, but that's just too dang much gun to tote around in a shoulder holster all day. It stays at home now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You hit the nail on the head Gary.........

Time will tell!

The .45 stood for so long because it worked. Natural evolution leads us towards trying to improve on what we have.

I believe that the swing towards high capacity 9mm came from the idea that the high capacity clips would improve the overall effect (more rounds available) with just a small detraction in single round effectiveness. Instead, I believe the higher capacity lead towards a slight flaw in tactics. I don't think it was an intentional move but a more subliminal tendancy towards spray and pray. Shot placement is indeed the key to a firefight, if you have confidence that your first shot will do the job then you are more likely to take the time needed to put it were it belongs.

The migration back to the .45 has spurred a revival of the 1911 style handgun. S&W is making them now! Every confguration and variation is being produced. It's pretty easy to find one that fits the bill anymore. Almost all of the major manufacturers are building custom shop models.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike 9mm's, I just have more faith in the .45. I do carry my own 9mm kurz (aka .380 acp) when need be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For day-to day ccw, I use a Sig 226. My method of carry varies with the circumstances. Most of the time, however, I carry IWB.

As for the 9mm vs .45 debate, which is timeless, I place more emphasis on shot placement than anything else. A bigger bullet isn't going to do you any good if it doesn't hit its intended target.

Practice, practice again, and then practice some more- no matter what you choose to carry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer 3 different guns at my disposal at all times. The Glock 33 .357 (my personal favorite), the Ruger P95DC 9MM (another excellent firearm), and the KelTec P11 9MM Short. I have long been a fan of the well known stopping power of the .357 . But was never too fond of revolvers. Needless to say, I was quite impressed when Glock produced a .357 so many years ago. The Ruger P95DC is an exceptional piece, IMO. Not only due to the efficiency of the decocking mechanism. But due to its accuracy and ease of control. The only complaint I have is with the grip. It is made for a right-handed shooter. Being left handed, it becomes an annoyance at times. Now about the KelTec P11 9MM Short. I am quite impressed by this gun. It is compact and fits well for CCW purposes. Not causing a noticable bulge and light enough to withdraw from a holster quickly.

Then again, call me crazy, but I am also partial to the IntraTec AB10 9MM along with a standard factory sawed-off Remington with a pistol grip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I carried a Thunder Fiver for a while. Having a revolver that would fire .410 shells or .45 Long Colt (or a combo thereof) was awesome but the thing was too heavy. I believe empty weight was 3.1 lbs (like a friggin brick) but trust me, ya pull that thing out and it would make any bad guy think twice.:D

I also used to carry the Derringer style .410 / .45 LC version as well.

I did love my Rugers as well but they have all given way to my Glocks (Combat Tupperware! lol) that I now have.

They are much, much lighter and have been nothing but dependable for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Gang;
My daily carry piece is a Glock 19 9mm, with night sights, grip plug, and full capacity mag, with one up the pipe. All that is necessary is to pull and shoot. Simple, and effective.
I also carry a backup in my right front pocket which is a Beretta 950SB in 25 caliber. I used to say, I'd rather throw rocks than have a 25, but I do not say that anymore.
My carry ammo is what they were both designed to shoot. I carry hardball. Yeah, I know people worry about over penetration, ricochets, ect. To that, I do not care one iota. The fact of the matter is, they were designed to shoot hardball, and using hardball will keep each piece operating as close to 100% functionality as possible. I'll gladly sacrifice a little bullet performance for reliability anyday. They are both accurate enough, and will do the job if bullet placement is correct. Yep, 45s carry more mass, and more of most everything else, except velocity, but there's one major problem with me. I have small mitts, and to have a 45 that carries 'almost' as much ammo as my Glock 19, it has to be LARGE. Sorry, I cannot easily handle that large of a grip.
Yep, I might never need 16 rounds at a whack, but if I do, I have them. I'll never complain about having too much ammo, especially in a concealable package that works. That's four more rounds than a six gun and a reload, without having to do anything except shoot. And yes, the 40cal, would almost do as well in the same size package. Well, I'm 'used' to my Glock 19, as I've carried it for over 14 years, and I can hit with it. For me, that's the bottom line. If I feel I need more ammo, then I'll just grab the ole Glock 17 duty pistol, and load up 20 rounds. It essentially feels the same as the model 19, and works as well.
And no, I'm not a Glockaholic. I like their functionality, and reliability, and that's about it. Form follows function, and they do function well. Ugly? Yep. But, they work well, so that's enough for me.
For esthetic purposes, I suppose the 1911 pattern semi auto is king for me. For revolvers, the S&W--- not withstanding their screwy politics.
Looking forward to others posting their likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got 3 on my Calif. CCW

I'd have 6 if they'd let me, but my pro-gun Sheriff says 3, so Right now the talley is 1 .45 ACP; 1 .380 and 1 .22LR - Used to pack a .40S&W, but it was too darn heavy, so it got switched for a stainless .380 pocket gun.
The .380 and the .22 are pocket carry pieces, the .45 is in the car or under my coat in the winter. I trust the 45 and the 22 to do their jobs, the .22 is loaded with HP's, the 45 does hardball. The .380 is loaded with hydroshocks, and is the backup gun to the other 2.:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bolo,

Is the three gun limit a non-issue or can it be problematic? How hard is it to change one of the three? I guess I'm just spoiled to picking up whatever before I head out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my county of residence the limit is 3

CAV said:
Bolo,

Is the three gun limit a non-issue or can it be problematic? How hard is it to change one of the three? I guess I'm just spoiled to picking up whatever before I head out.
Hi Cav!
The header in my reply covers it for me... I don't know if it's an 'official' limit on the CCW statewide, I suspect it's more adminstrative = The Sheriff's clerks don't like 2-page permits, and there's only room for 3 entrys on the permit. - so:crap: :rolleyes:

As you may know California is a "May Issue" state for permits rather than "Shall Issue" like Texis. Translation: The head LE official in your county of residence "May" issue CCW's at their discretion:crap: Literal Translation: If you reside in one of the states' "Urban Blighted Zones" - You are SOL. It's NOT going to happen! :angry:

Answer to 2nd question: No all I had to do was go down to the Sheriff's office and give the clerks the make, caliber and Ser# Of the weapon you want to have put on the permit, fork over $10, and tell the clerk which gun you want to replace. :)

It helps to be in a rural county with a Pro-Gun Sheriff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts