Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posing this question about concealed handgun by a citizen and LEO involvement. In the end of the stops and checks in several cases the gun has been returned unloaded and then on some stories it is taken and asked to be placed somewhere in plain site like on the dash board and other times just asked where it is and told not to move hands near it. Other stories have been worse where it comes into question of when you have to tell LEO you are armed yea on a traffic stop but other times such as the case of a witness at an accident scene now all of a sudden you are being asked who you are and now the understanding is you have to produce both when asked for id or inform since now in Texas you have to have an active permit and do not have to have it with you. So it is a question of when you have to inform and make public to all around you that you have a gun. The law as I understand it is when you are asked for Id you have to id yourself as armed otherwise you are not of interest it would be the same as asking a concealed handgun person to every time he say saw an officer out in public to go telling him as he is walking by or you walk by them hey I have a gun and a permit to carry. So anyhow to get a permit in Texas there is a class and several hours of such as to what you can do and where you can go and contact with LEO but yet I know it seems that all LEO have different ways of doing a stop with a gun involved so I am to think is there no set procedure for LEO to follow which bring to question just how much time has LEO been taught as to what he is to do to properly deal with an armed citizen more then an hour dedicated to the very subject of carring concealed and making contact with LEO is talked about in many classes and yet I bet not more then a few minutes if any has been taken to teach the bigger threat a failure to properly respect and deal with a citizen who chooses to legally arm himself it just seems from my experience LEO who need training also on the matter have shown a failure in the lack of set procedure it seems it is left up to personal choice and that says that LEO has been untaught but told to use their best judgement this may be ok to an extent but then you have a problem a failure to be able to train in the handgun coarse what the citizen is to do as more people get permits there has to be some well laid rules written into law as to making it know and a procedure that is laid into law on when to inform of being armed and disarming and return of the gun by the way coming back unloaded I have no complaints against just so it comes back and a citizen is respected for his right of choice to be armed.

·
Registered
432 Posts
wow...easy on the coffee son.........

As you know , different states have different requirements....

I would say to follow the letter of the law, don't offer anything unless specifically required to by said state law,or, instructed to in a lawful manor..

Here in Ct. we have no legal obligation to inform anyone including LEO's unless directly asked to . But,, there might be a reason you would want to before being requested.... thats up to you and the situation at hand ................. jmho of course........

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Personally, I inform the officers I come into contact with that I am armed. I have no desire to alarm or otherwise surprise them. I see this as both a courtesy to them, and also I don't have to remember which state I'm in and whether or not I have a duty to inform.

Usually this results in a friendly gun discussion - I haven't been stopped for anything where I was to be ticketed or in trouble, so that may have a role.

I also interact in a polite and professional manner.

YMMV

·
Banned
191 Posts
What, the Hell, ever happened to paragraphical expression? I'd answer this question; but I've no time to read something that looks like it ought to be a Persian rug. Can only guess what happened to my education tax dollars on this one - Duh!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.