Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

confirmed sighting

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BigEd 
#1 ·
Today on FOXNews, I saw video from Iraq showing a U.S soldier armed with a scoped, .308 HK91/G3 rifle. The HK91/G3 had most of its finish worn away. It was fitted with a claw mount. The scope was in view too briefly for me to identify it, but it looked similar to the 4X and 1.5X-6X scopes commonly seen on European G3's. Nor could I tell if it was a true HK or clone.

I was not able to discern the branch or unit of the user, but the news cast lead me to believe that it was a regular U.S. Army unit.

Nonetheless, this is an interesting development. The .308 may be regaining some lost popularity.

Has anyone else seen or heard of G3's being used by U.S. troops?

#2 ·
yes, without a doubt!,,,, the .30 caliber round is 'SUPREME' in block/morter
urban settings!!!,,,,,not COUNTING the 'HOWARD DEAN' a B.A.R. WILL KNOCK OUTTA' A PERSON! :dgrin:

#3 ·
Went hunting yesterday with a buddy who is back on a 6 week leave from Afghanistan. I was using my M1A and he kept commenting on all the M14's they are using over there. He said that the M16 is not the choice for that environment by any stretch. The M14 however has the range, the power and the penetration to do the job.

Mike

#4 ·
Don't know if it's true, but I hear that our stockpiled M14s (the ones Klinton didn't have destroyed) have been issued, and Dakota (and possibly Fulton) has been putting together NEW M14s for the military.

It appears that rifles that are good in close-in jungle warfare don't cut it in open terrain, or when cement (steel, etc) has to be penetrated.
But I think that's been known for a while. . .:D

#5 ·
Both rounds have their place on the battlefield.

I wonder where we'd be if the M-14 (or the FAL) had been issued in the .280 British, that the original FAL's were designed for.

From what I understand (never fired or even seen one), the round had really good ballistics - far better than the 7.62x39 and very mild recoil. Very controllable on full auto.

Having said that, I am a huge fan of the .308 and am glad to see it being used.

This is not to say that I'm not a fan of the .223 as well...

:devil:

#7 ·
GBullet said:
Today on FOXNews, I saw video from Iraq showing a U.S soldier armed with a scoped, .308 HK91/G3 rifle. The HK91/G3 had most of its finish worn away. It was fitted with a claw mount. The scope was in view too briefly for me to identify it, but it looked similar to the 4X and 1.5X-6X scopes commonly seen on European G3's. Nor could I tell if it was a true HK or clone.
I spoke with a friend today and he said that HK91/G3 clones are in use. On Friday, I saw a 4-rail forearm equipped semiauto model of these...very well made, very nice. Me want one someday. :)

#8 ·
gripper said:
Aslan, that .280 ;it was sort of a 7mm08, wasn't it? And it was originalli supposed to go into an ealy bullpup effort; the E.M.2???You wouldn't have dimmensions and ballitic data per chance??
Somewhere in a box of stuff - never seem to throw any of that kind of thing away.

IIRC, it was was something like a 7 x 43, a little bigger than the 7.62 x 39 case, but shorter than a 7-08.

I think the bullpup is in fact the EM-2

But, I could be mistaken.

#9 ·
Actually, I think it's kinda funny - all the recent talk about going to a larger bullet like the 6.8 for the Military's round. They're moving towards the 7x43 (the .280 originally proposed for the FAL).

If they had adopted that round from the beginning...

Reactions: BigEd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.