Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose its generally known by now that I don't usually just go out and have fun shooting; there always seems to be practice, zeroing, or at least friendly competition involved (so please correct my n00bness here). But, today I got to shoot a true, non reproduction, mid 1800s hand cannon (some British design made in occupied India).

And for one shot, I was thinking "damn this is friggin great."

Something about just aiming in the general vicinity of what you want to hit, with a comparatively lightweight and generally good feeling handcannon is just plain fun. Blatantly loud smoky kabooms are relaxing in their own special way.

While I can't see myself getting heavy into BP, I am really longing for an authentic handcannon (or a brace depending on the cost of these things, for the fun factor) of the flintlock or percussion lock flavors. Where does one find these things, and what accessories are generally considered to be mandatory? Purely a once in a blue moon fun outburst or a conversation/eye candy piece kind of deal.

I'm also pretty n00b to what BP guns and muzzleloaders entail. I know different solvents are needed for cleaning, and the additional saftey concerns, but really not much else. Any tips here would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_92_187_189

Dixie Gun Works has all kinds of percussion firearms in all price ranges. I have a cap 'n ball revolver but I've always wanted a set of duelling pistols. Many pistols and rifles come with an accessory kit that has everything you need to get started. All kinds of info about safe shooting is available on the web. Just remember, its easy to get bitten by the black powder bug and then it becomes a fascinating hobby. Good luck.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
DaRkWoLf said:
While I can't see myself getting heavy into BP, I am really longing for an authentic handcannon (or a brace depending on the cost of these things, for the fun factor) of the flintlock or percussion lock flavors. Where does one find these things, and what accessories are generally considered to be mandatory? Purely a once in a blue moon fun outburst or a conversation/eye candy piece kind of deal.

I'm also pretty n00b to what BP guns and muzzleloaders entail. I know different solvents are needed for cleaning, and the additional saftey concerns, but really not much else. Any tips here would be most appreciated.
I take a brief break and come back to find the whole world has turned upside down.

By hand cannon, do you mean one of those poles with the little cannon barrel on the end? I haven't played with those at all but can't imagine that they cost that much. Hell, it's just a barrel and a wooden stick. I'm assuming that you'd also need a linstock and some slow match to light it with.

As far as cleaning, I do all my black powder cleaning with warm tap water. That's it. I find that many conventional bp cleaning agents just promote rust....The T/C Number 13 being the worst. That crap will rust a barrel almost while you are cleaning it! You'll need some sort of patch lube, if you patch. I make a special combination of olive oil and bees wax for mine. Not hard to do if you have access to bees wax. Otherwise, spit will work...as will Crisco and any of the modern lubes that you can find at the gun store. Most of the lubes also double as a rust inhibiting grease after you are finished cleaning.

Patching was an American invention. It is perfectly feasible to load a muzzleloader with just a bare ball. Accuracy and velocity will suffer.....accuracy not as much as you may think.

You've opened up a big can of worms Darkwolf. If you have more specific questions I'll be happy to help you along.

Oh ya, you mentioned a flintlock or a caplock. I've always believed that nipples were for squaws. Flintlocks are more fun, caplocks are more convenient.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep and I just passed on a used one for under $200.

Dang if I didn't forget about this thread and asking DW if he already got one. :headbang:

They are one of the few, if not the only ones, that you can safely shoot as much Black Powder as you can stuff in under a round ball.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts