Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to get into shooting 50 bmg for some time now but the cost of a rifls has been a major obstical. I recently found an AR convertion for a moderate price. I was wondering if anyone here has ever had the oppertunity to fire one of these Ultramag 50s? If so, let me know all you have to say about it.
Thanks.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Just took a look at their website -> http://www.ultramag50.com/

Looks interesting enough. Nice that it is a real bolt action and not one of those funky designs where you have to unscrew the bolt for each round.

But I'll tell you what, I sure do hope that the muzzle brake is REAL effective! Shooting .50BMG out of a 13 pound gun will be a real eye opener. :bounce01: And if you don't have a scope with a LOT of eye relief, it may very well be a forehead opener as well...... :evilgrin:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
looks cool enough. the only problem i see with it is it's too short barrel, 18, to 22 inches is not near enough to get that 0.50 bullet going fast enough. i would thik it would need at least a 32 incher to make it worth while. a 36 incher would be even better. i would hate the thought of burning a hundred plus grains of powder out in front of that little short barrel. :cool:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'd be hesitant to use it as a "Conversion" I have the feeling that after a few rounds, an AR Lower might end up out of spec, remember, the majority of them are just Aluminum.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
At that light weight, I'd be much more worried about my right shoulder "going out of spec"..... :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Optimum length for the .50 BMG is about 30-32 inches for accuracy. The only reason to go 36" or more is if you want to use the powders related to the 20mm stuff. Their slow burn rate requires a longer barrel.

As has been stated, be cautious about the AR conversions to .50... That platform wasn't designed for that kind of recoil. With the weight of the gun as Rich mentioned, I would suspect that you aren't designed to handle that kind of recoil either... LOL.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input I will definatly keep it all in mind when I make my final desition. Any one ever dealt with this company? Quality and reliability is a major part I need to consider and I had not heard of them till recently. I don't think they have been around very long at all.

Again thanks for all your input I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Also think about the abuse even a rugged top of the line scope will be going through on that weight of a .50BMG rifle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Restarting this, thinking of one myself these days. My FFL was/is a USMC sniper/trainer. He said he shot some .50 but not of these. His list for purchase put a Barrett on top with these close behind. He said to stay far away from Cobb. Didnt ask, wife was very ready to leave. Any new input, check the vid's they have now, the 2 handed pistol grip firing of a .50 was kinda intense. Didnt seem to have much more than an unported 500 SW kick.
http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/Videos/videos.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts