Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My area is very liberal and two weeks ago, I had some interesting conversations with "antigunners", all of them high up with the county and state Democrat Party. I spoke with them one-on-one.

They were suprisingly open about the Clinton Gun Ban (AWB), expressing anguish that they could not renew it. They also stated that they intended to pass a much more sweeping AWB if they ever had the chance.

Usually it is a waste of time and oxygen to debate the 2nd Amendment with such folks, but I did anyway. I was polite and tried to find facts upon which we could agree. Each of these people were willing to accept the facts, but stated almost the exact same phrase, "I just don't think that anyone should be allowed to own those kind of weapons."

If the AWB sunsets, that's wonderful news, but like the "Good versus Evil" thing, it's an ongoing battle. There will always be individuals, always be groups, always be aspiring dictators that try to deny freedom to others and we have to be vigilant.

Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin were big proponents of gun control...and the world lived happily ever after, right?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
GB, you've described the same wall I've run into over and over when talking to the same kinds of people. No matter how flawed you show their argument to be, they just don't think those weapons should be legal. I can't help thinking that they live in a timid, strange little world and I'm sure they think of me as a rampaging, kill-crazed barbarian. In that, at least, I guess we're both right.
;)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It seems that a great many of these antis are well to do people who have great jobs and live in gated communities well insulated from their 'social inferiors'. They have never had to live and work in areas of crime and poverty. Worse yet, many of these people are themselves armed and have been issued carry permits. They rationalize this by saying "I need a gun because I'm wealthy/famous/a polititian/a jew etc" and care little for other's rights. Worse, they think emotionally rather than rationally. I've given up wasting my breath on these people.

RIKA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts