Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Enfield #1 Mk III with all matching numbers. Someone has also changed the stock on it to sporterize it. Does this hurt the value. If so can I purchase an original stock for it. The gun is in great cond.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would have to say that the collector value would be hurt and also how far did they go ,is there a picture that you can post.I prefer Mauser rifles myself and wont sporterize anything that is in good shape.Would have to see pictures.Stocks shouldnt be to hard to find,some in decent shape.Numerich Gun Part Corp.(e-gunparts.com) should have stocks and barrel bands.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The rifle was nicely done,Did'nt see the front sight,does it still have the ears on the front sight or have they been removed,replaced ect.Might be cheaper to leave as is if you are happy with the way it shoots.as a shooter it might be worth $125.00 to $180.00 as a collector it lost value.Might be cheaper just to buy a rifle that has'nt been messed with than to restore the sporterized rifle.There are many of these rifles with the original wood on them and are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Numerich or www. e-gunparts.com has all your stock parts you need to restore your rifle wood and metal parts also.Dakoma

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
A couple of people have said it probably lost its value as a collector piece. What was that value in the first place. Many Enfields are dirt cheap. This one, however, has been gussied up and it looks like the job was well done on the stock and also probably on the metal finish. If it was one of the run of the mill editions of Enfield, then my bet is that you could quite possibly get more money for it than you could have gotten when it was a collector piece.

All the best,
GB

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a few sporterized Mauser rifles,when I got them the bores were in verry bad shape wood looked like someone had used it to cross barbed wire fences,so I pulled the action and barrel off and rebareled and bought aftermarket stock scoped them out ,as collectors they have lost value but as shooters they are exellent,and are not standard Military calibers,I would'nt worry it is nicely done.If you had'nt noticed the rifles are drying up along with ammo or are higher priced.If yours shoots good I would leave it as is,anything that shoots to a higher degree of accuracy to me is an inprovement.although as a collector some of my guns I paid $50.00 for and are in exellent condition and are original are now worth $280.00 I would not think of sporterizing them.Enjoy your rifle and if you want one that is original and in exellent condition by all means buy it but bear in mind prices are on the rise and you will not find one as cheap as they once were and I hope I have not offended you in any way.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I never caught a 'glimpse' of the front-sight either, as this rifle "looks"ALOT like [1] I scored/picked-up, for 'GARANDS' desert raftin' adventure[?],,,,[i.e. SIDE-CAR,,,bleep:dancer01::roflmao1::beer:]

I paid $89, and the amourers starboard side brass "tech-gauge" was removed and plugged with wood, also[on mine] the wood forearm shows "fine/loving" inletting of "repair/enhancement " [i.e. SOMEBODY CARED ABOUT,and LOVED THIS RIFLE!!!,,,,that's "why"I bought IT.]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently got an SMLE #5 jungle carbine (yeah, a real one) in fair to good shape and need a manual.
Try Sarcoinc.com for about any part you need. They are in Shotgun News, too.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil."--Douglas Patton
I would rather be right & truthful than politically correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts