Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be asking too many Q but fogive me.

OK there's benn a fire fight betwen you and a thug whering a mask. you are alone and have no phone or raidio. The fight has ben onn for about a hour the adinalin has worn off......the fear has set inn. the two of you have extanged fire in small bust here and there. bouth of you are hiding. you go to shoot agen and......theres a perfect head shot...................could YOU pull the trigger. dont act mocho and just say hell yeh......I realy dont know if I could.

just wanted to know what yall figgerd
:fullauto: :madeuce:

Randy

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
????

In a firefight with a guy for an HOUR who has been trying to kill me?? And I have an opportunity to end it and come out with a non leaking skin? You bet your butt I would shoot. Otherwise, suppose the bad guy gets the same opportunity 10 minutes later and doesn't hesitate? Your final thoughts will likely be "Gee, I really should have........."

The will to survive does not require adrenalin, but it does recognize opportunity. Quite frankly, I would think you would have no real choice in the matter at that point. Since he is sticking around exchanging shots with you, for sure he isn't just playing games.

That being said, I even regret killing squirrels, but do it anyway because they are damaging something I like more than them. I am certain I like my life much more than I would someone else's life who is trying to end mine in an untimely fashion.

Of course, I really think it is unlikely that anyone would be in this sort of scenario. How many people carry enough ammo to be involved in an hour long firefight? And no bad guy is really going to stick around that long with the possibility that the police have been alerted with a "shots fired" call-in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If i was being shot at for an hour i prob would Sh*t in my pants but yes i would def take a head shot to him to stop the risk of others getting hurt from wide rounds and especially stop the risk of me getting hurt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeh I see what you mean. It was a "what if", I know when adinalin whers off you feel draind. also the hour part was a lil over board I sould of said 20 mins or so but........

·
Registered
605 Posts
No question, I'd take him out!

Once you've engaged in a scenario like that, there's no turning back. You can't just stand up and say "Oh my mistake!"

Now if there were a way for me to escape w/o killing the guy.....I'd probably take that route. I honestly don't know how I'd feel taking someones life...BUT...like Rich said, better him then me. I surely wouldn't let him live at the expense of my life. My wife, kids and grandkids need me!

G

·
If'un I beed thet dum to half sticked round fer an our fite-tin thus heer guy thun i be purdy shore nuf thet i kood shuut him whar evar knead bee jist soo i kood wype my arse in pri-vat kauz my pantys sho nuf wood be purdy ful byE thun.

An hour long fire fight between two guys. They must be neighbors shooting at each other from the ammo bunkers in their respective backyards. If some jerk off points a gun at me and the only clear shot is a head shot, well: poof their he goes if I can take that shot.

The only guy I ever shot was shot where it almost hit his other head - at least I rang his bells - both of them, and I got 5 holes with one bullet! Had the bullet of another shot penetrated the windshield of his cousin's car, well the cousin would have likely wound up with an extra hole in his head because that is pretty much where it wound up heading! There is, in this statement, no bravado, and no macho, but lots of wanting to live long enough to see my daughter and son graduate college, see them both get married, see my grand kids someday, and there is also a really strong desire to collect my pension and make sure Uncle Sam loses money on that one! But to be quite frank, after an hour I probably would have figured out some way to have run away.

G

·
By the way, if you had paid better attention in school you would likely have been able, in that hour, to have talked the situation down at least to where one or both of you ran away. Of course, that is only if you showed a skillful use of grammar and vocabulary.

Best regards,
GB

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you think you have something intelligent to add to this thread then bring it on. If your only form of debate is to cast immature insults then go away!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I guess it could really happen. Some drunken hunter out in the woods certain that the deer have gotten smart enough to start shooting back. And I guess you do have to wonder how many hunting accidents are REALLY accidents.....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
What's with the mask part? I might be missing something.

I think this scenario is very unlikely, so a real answer is almost impossible to state. First, given an hour (or even 20 minutes), I don't think a bad guy would have stuck around OR I think I'm intelligent enough to 1) figure out a way to get away from there before he gets that head shot on ME or 2) use proper skills to try and talk the confrontation down BEFORE that hour is up. I mean, if I'm not smart enough to figure out a solution to complete either of those two numbered possibilities in almost all situations, then I shouldn't be carrying the gun in the first place (as a civilian, of course). My opinion.

Second, I doubt if any of us, except maybe in our home or shooting from our vehicle, would have that much ammo on them even with sporadic fire over 20 minutes (whether you are the good guy or the bad guy). I mean, very seldom do I carry with all of my 30-round and 20-round mags stashed in a coat pocket.....lol. (This magazine part is a joke. I only trust my life to a revolver when I conceal carry. My autoloaders are house guns, range guns, hunting guns, etc.)

Besides, assuming I DID shoot that many times and not get a hit, I would also have to assume that I was wasting a LOT of ammo on bad shots (which I would NOT do unless I just got too much of an epinephrine push and shopt all my ammo out FAST - which is is what almost EVERYONE seems to do in a gunfight) or I was such a bad shot (possibly due to an overdose of epinephrine...lol) that I wouldn't be able to make that final head shot if I wanted to.....lol.

So, what would be my answer? I would have did my best to get away - or assist the bad guy in deciding to leave me alone and healthy since I am NOT an enforcement agent - and be out of there long before that hour (or twenty minutes) is up.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Clint,

I will assume you referred to my posts since yours was directly after mine.

My point about talking your way out of a firefight through good use of language skills is not an insult, but you may take it as you like. Use of speaking skills, is something I have taught as a Federal Firearms Instructor and Federal Confrontational Safety Awareness Instructor for many years now. In fact speaking skills are one of the levels on the Use of Force Continuum which starts with Officer presence, and then escalates to Verbal Commands, and so forth on up to deadly force. Of course, Verbal Commands or other verbal techniques can be utilized at any level of the continuum. Bullets are not always the answer. I can assure you that if you have been in a firefight with one individual for an hour or even for the later 'edited' 20 minutes, it has been much too long for you not to have either tried to run away or talk yourself out of it. If someone cannot make him/herself understood because of terrible language skills, well the result could be that person's early demise. Now if you find that suggestion insulting, what can I say. I thought it was more of a wake up call. It may actually save a life. Sorry but I stand by the same exact suggestion.

Now as to my use of misspellings and bad grammar in my first post, that was a joke. Would you like to know why I joked. I did so because I was uncertain if the person who started this thread was a joker or not. He sure seemed like one with as unlikely a scenario as this wherein bullets were the only answer, but all the bullets of an hour long firefight had missed their mark; and he also seemed a joker due to the misspellings and grammatical slaughter that took place in his post. In other words the thread starter seemed like a troll. If he was allowed to write that way, then why not all of us? My point in including the gibberish in my post, in the event this person was serious, was so that maybe next time this fellow would have enough respect for the rest of us to at least try and edit his post to where it was almost easy to read. If that is an insult, then it was a well placed one, but an unintentional one at that. It was meant to incite to better writing, not to insult. By the way, sure I make mistakes too, we all do, but reread that initial post again, it is almost baffling.

Best regards,
GB

·
Registered
605 Posts
Glen,
I did misunderstand, my apologies. I didn't realize that those two posts were written by the same person. The first with the gibberish didn't make sense to me. The second seemed to be directed at all of us as uneducated oafs. As a matter of fact, I thought I knew who the unregistered 'troll' was. Seems an young fella in college has a problem with gun owners and me specifically on a different forum. I thought that was him.
Being able to talk your way out of a situation would be a very good skill to have but being educated in nagotiations is not something most people would consider a basic class. If I do ever get in a situation where I have to shoot someone to protect myself, I sure hope the judge doesn't look at my school record to decide if I had the right to do so!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Clint,

I'd hope not but you never know in todays world. I am sorry it looked as if I meant to be insulting. When I read it again I can see how one could think so. Spmetimes my tactfulness is not too tactful. My apologies.

All the bbt,
Glenn B

G

·
hell, any halfway fit man would

be 5 miles away in an hour, after having crawled for 20 minutes, using cover to protect himself. If you haven't ended it in a very few seconds, the odds start getting very bad for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts